It is currently 25 Apr 2024 05:33

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next
 Post subject: Re: Santa Pod drag strip
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2022 21:47 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
Good results today despite the crazy temperatures, ran 3/100ths quicker than previously 10.55@129.4 mph
Now got to break the 130 barrier ;)

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2022 23:59 

Current ride: S1`s
Very nearly there, maybe shave off your body hair will help....

With the mrs.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2022 00:11 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
FFFin' Lions Bollocks.
3 100ths is awesome.
Just to be clear Gus, what does the 3 100ths mean in terms of 129.4. terminal velocity
Last time 10.75 at 124, does that mean the 3 100ths made an improvement of 5.4 mph terminal and if so what did you alter for that improvement
I mean, your starts are much faster than most out of the lights in all races I've watched you in, despite some challengers being superior in torque & top speed but it usually takes them till the last third of the track to catch you. When do you actually hit top velocity, is it before the finish & will the new sprockets you're getting give you more options with the gearing to snatch a few more 100ths & keep competitors at bay for longer?
Just asking (definitely not advising) just very interested in where you focussing your attention to get the elusive hundreths you're getting.
Great days racing & you're obviously pleased, well done buddy.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2022 06:45 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
:yup: well done Gus :dance:
now just need to check you sector times and ref back after any alterations .
on the track one trick was to gear it down so you were quicker out of the bends and accelerating down the staight, if you ran out of rev's before end of straight / braking zone , just feather throttle for last few yards before braking .

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2022 16:09 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
FFFin' Lions Bollocks.
3 100ths is awesome.
Just to be clear Gus, what does the 3 100ths mean in terms of 129.4. terminal velocity
Last time 10.75 at 124, does that mean the 3 100ths made an improvement of 5.4 mph terminal and if so what did you alter for that improvement
I mean, your starts are much faster than most out of the lights in all races I've watched you in, despite some challengers being superior in torque & top speed but it usually takes them till the last third of the track to catch you. When do you actually hit top velocity, is it before the finish & will the new sprockets you're getting give you more options with the gearing to snatch a few more 100ths & keep competitors at bay for longer?
Just asking (definitely not advising) just very interested in where you focussing your attention to get the elusive hundreths you're getting.
Great days racing & you're obviously pleased, well done buddy.

So many questions, so many variables,
Consistency is the key I ran a 10.58 earlier this year so 10.55 doesn't seem much but when you collect that ticket with the magic time it sure is a high
Here's a copy of the days work.
The hardest part of it is getting the launch just right you can see the lower the 60' time the better chance of a good run.
Slight tail wind helped also ;)

Attachments:
DSC_1700~2.JPG
DSC_1700~2.JPG [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 10345 times ]

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2022 19:33 

:yup: :yt:
and best run had a 2 tens slower reaction time , so if you get evething just right :yup: then the 130 should be in your reach as is

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2022 05:33 

The reaction time only really comes into play when you are racing against someone in the other lane, the clock starts when you cross the start line beam, but many races are won and lost over reaction times.
The junior dragsters are amazing to watch with some of these kids getting point double zero's regularly :shock: , I'm just getting older I think :old:

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2022 08:32 

I am not up on this type of motorsport.
How does it go from the first 1/8 of a mile @ 102mph to the 1/4 mile only 25mph faster ?
Running out of road or power ?
What gearing are you using Gus
I fitted 29 front 61 rear to a bike for speed trial on Pendine beach , but never ran it there due to covid. Works out to approx 2 to 1 ratio on the pullies.
Yours is chain ?
There`s no reaction time on Pendine apart from tide times :tw:

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2022 18:19 

Gearing is a bit out at the moment, still using the pre NOS set 23t on the front and 56t on the rear, I'm in 5th gear by 3/4 track, I can't go up on the front anymore due to the frame rail clearance so will have to come down on the rear one, I just can't decide on how much yet.
I've been looking at one of those online sprocket calculator things and may go to 52 or 50, sprockets of that size or any for that matter are special order and take a few weeks delivery, I believe Sportsters have the same bolt pattern but the centre hole needs machining out a little.
Decisions decisions :? P

The other dilemma is I was offered another engine at the weekend, believed to be out of an X1 engine number starts SS1 ,the guy was an NCC member although it's not been run for at least 6 years...... what to do :?:

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2022 20:04 

Current ride: X1 2001
price is the factor , in drag racing I'm thinking spare engines are a must have lOl

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2022 04:44 

This Saturday 8/10 is the next event, weather forecast looks good :yup:

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2022 08:47 

enjoy :yup:

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2022 13:32 

Current ride: X1 2001
gusm2 wrote:
Gearing is a bit out at the moment, still using the pre NOS set 23t on the front and 56t on the rear, I'm in 5th gear by 3/4 track, I can't go up on the front anymore due to the frame rail clearance so will have to come down on the rear one, I just can't decide on how much yet.
I've been looking at one of those online sprocket calculator things and may go to 52 or 50, sprockets of that size or any for that matter are special order and take a few weeks delivery, I believe Sportsters have the same bolt pattern but the centre hole needs machining out a little.

The other dilemma is I was offered another engine at the weekend, believed to be out of an X1 engine number starts SS1 ,the guy was an NCC member although it's not been run for at least 6 years...... what to do :?:

I have a Sportster rear pulley on my X1
which had a couple of mm machined out of the center pulley ( thank you to Artificer :worthy: )
much easier than finding a Buell one & a hell of a lot cheaper too :yup:

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2022 07:57 

gusm2 wrote:

Just bought an early S1 engine which starts with SS1

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2022 11:32 

Nutah wrote:
gusm2 wrote:

I have a Sportster rear pulley on my X1
which had a couple of mm machined out of the center pulley ( thank you to Artificer :worthy: )
much easier than finding a Buell one & a hell of a lot cheaper too :yup:

:yup:
I'm using chain and sprocket set up due to the extended swinging arm

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next