It is currently 28 Mar 2024 13:16

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 06 May 2020 10:35 

There was a guy looking for a tuber about 10 years back who saw a mint 97 M2 with 5000 miles for 2 grand. I thought it looked sweet. Maz reckoned it was only worth a grand and to walk away as 'It's a 96/97 pre-T/storm bag-o- shite'. :shock:

As I am about to spend around £500 getting my rusty old 97 S3T roadworthy, it begs the question should I get shot of it for whatever I can and buy a good condition T/storm tuber for 3Kish? Would my Buelling experience be vastly improved?

PostPosted: 06 May 2020 10:50 

S3Tim wrote:
There was a guy looking for a tuber about 10 years back who saw a mint 97 M2 with 5000 miles for 2 grand. I thought it looked sweet. Maz reckoned it was only worth a grand and to walk away as 'It's a 96/97 pre-T/storm bag-o- shite'. :shock:

As I am about to spend around £500 getting my rusty old 97 S3T roadworthy, it begs the question should I get shot of it for whatever I can and buy a good condition T/storm tuber for 3Kish? Would my Buelling experience be vastly improved?

Not what you want to hear, but only you can decide I'm afraid. You have to understand there's every likelihood that £3k Thunderstorm tuber can very easily become a ~£6k or £7k tuber, unless you know exactly what you're buying. Hope that helps you.

PostPosted: 06 May 2020 18:33 

Current ride: X1 2001
:shock:
Tim your money your choice , without trying one how you going to know ?
Buell isnt an investment , more a "fuck everyone else it's what i want "
alot of Buells end up as chopper/bobber/customs...cheaper than a Harley yet with better power
than Sportsters :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :headbang:

my own X1 will never be a show winner , used abused yet she is a keeper
funny how some machines hook you :mrgreen: :yup:

PostPosted: 06 May 2020 20:24 

Thanks Guys. I remember when I first bought her I did a Buell track day at Cadwell must have been 2001 maybe? :old: Craig Jones was doing his wheelie thing, it was a great day! I asked to go into a beginners group and ended up in a group with Norm (he's the only one I can remember in that group). We were let loose and I remember thinking 'Jesus Christ this things fast. Oops nearly ended up on the grass on that corner etc. All the while pretty much everyone else (mainly X1's as I recall) was undertaking me on pretty much every corner but I didn't mind, I was just having a blast. I nearly always get the same feeling even now so I think I've answered my own question. My S3T, even with a peeling tank, rust spots and disintigrating plastic is a keeper. :D

PostPosted: 06 May 2020 22:21 

Current ride: X1 2001
:mrgreen: :yup:

PostPosted: 07 May 2020 01:04 

S3Tim wrote:
Thanks Guys. I remember when I first bought her I did a Buell track day at Cadwell must have been 2001 maybe? :old: Craig Jones was doing his wheelie thing, it was a great day! I asked to go into a beginners group and ended up in a group with Norm (he's the only one I can remember in that group). We were let loose and I remember thinking 'Jesus Christ this things fast. Oops nearly ended up on the grass on that corner etc. All the while pretty much everyone else (mainly X1's as I recall) was undertaking me on pretty much every corner but I didn't mind, I was just having a blast. I nearly always get the same feeling even now so I think I've answered my own question. My S3T, even with a peeling tank, rust spots and disintigrating plastic is a keeper. :D

With these machines, I think it's certainly a case of better the devil you know. A ~25 year old machine may (will) have a LOT of undocumented issues. In your case, I think what I would do - If you fancy an S1 or an X1, ask myself what I like about the S1/X1 that the S3 doesn't have? Then turn your S3 into the bike that you want. That has several advantages, you know the bike (highly important) and the end result is all your own ideas and work. Buell owners are really not known for caring what other people think. If one person thinks my bikes are dog shit, that's their problem. Not mine. I advise you to think the same way. HTH.

PostPosted: 07 May 2020 09:45 

On the subject of not caring what others think. It may have been that Cadwell track day or maybe the first Em's day that was held, I can't remember. :old: But, I got talking to a journo from Ride magazine who asked if I would like to take part in an article entitled 'Who would buy one of these?'. The concept for my bike being, what idiot would want a long distance tourer as unreliable as a Buell? There were 3 or 4 other very obscure bikes in the article, so obscure I can't remember what they were!! Anyway, I sang the praises of Buell and got a very nice photo out of it. :D

https://flic.kr/p/2iYv7EM

That was the bike in its prime. Not looking quite as good now unfortunately.

PostPosted: 07 May 2020 10:03 

S3Tim wrote:
On the subject of not caring what others think. It may have been that Cadwell track day or maybe the first Em's day that was held, I can't remember. :old: But, I got talking to a journo from Ride magazine who asked if I would like to take part in an article entitled 'Who would buy one of these?'. The concept for my bike being, what idiot would want a long distance tourer as unreliable as a Buell? There were 3 or 4 other very obscure bikes in the article, so obscure I can't remember what they were!! Anyway, I sang the praises of Buell and got a very nice photo out of it. :D

https://flic.kr/p/2iYv7EM

That was the bike in its prime. Not looking quite as good now unfortunately.

Well, at this point as I hinted above - Now's the opportunity to think what it is you want or don't want in the S3 and set about doing it. I have no idea what you want, only you can decide. But right now it seems like you have a blank canvas to start from. All you need is ideas.

PostPosted: 07 May 2020 12:04 

To be honest 03 not a lot I don't want and not a lot I want. I like the comfort of the fairing being an old fart and the panniers are really handy when the wife comes out with me. Do I need the extra 10bhp the T/storm heads give me? Not really. Its all aesthetic. I think the X1 looks the dogs bollocks design wise. It's a beautiful bike. Maybe one day. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 07 May 2020 12:33 

S3Tim wrote:
To be honest 03 not a lot I don't want and not a lot I want. I like the comfort of the fairing being an old fart and the panniers are really handy when the wife comes out with me. Do I need the extra 10bhp the T/storm heads give me? Not really. Its all aesthetic. I think the X1 looks the dogs bollocks design wise. It's a beautiful bike. Maybe one day. :mrgreen:

Sounds to me like no point in selling the S3. TS heads are no use to you on their own anway. If you want a top end upgrade look for XB heads which are generally regarded as the best heads design HD ever released for Sportster motors. They'll work just fine with '97 S3 flat top pistons and are likely to be much easier to find, perhaps. HTH.

PostPosted: 08 May 2020 14:12 

Current ride: A black one
S3Tim wrote:

I was there too on my S3T but did end up well and truly on the grass whilst waving to Mrs Dusty :oooops: They were super events. I think there was an involvement in the hosting of the event by Steve Plater, and I recall Digger being present. I am almost sure there was the incident with the drag racing Buell and a locked gate during the interval lOl

Keep the bike :yup:

PostPosted: 09 May 2020 09:24 

Hope the grass didn't do any damage Dusty? lOl

Yep, I remember Digger. He gave me his details as he had a few bits of bike to get shot of. I also remember someones belt come flying across the track on that long straight and thinking, bummer, that's the end of his track day. :o It would be great to organise another Buell track day once we come out the other end of this mess :sad1:

PostPosted: 09 May 2020 09:43 

Far be it for me to diss your idea, it's a great one. I see a couple of issues for you - 1 Is there a track anywhere that will accept bikes as loud as a typical Buell? Hardly any have a muffler worthy of the name. 2 The number of people - There aren't enough people here to fill a phone box. Subtract those who wouldn't dream of going on a track. There won't be many takers, will there? But, great idea. Hope it works.

PostPosted: 09 May 2020 10:41 

You're probably right. I've got 'rose tinted spectacles syndrome'. TBH I didn't even know that tracks like Cadwell had a noise limit. Didn't seem to be the case back in 2001. :old: I suppose if it was opened up to any V twin there might be more takers. :?

PostPosted: 09 May 2020 10:55 

S3Tim wrote:
You're probably right. I've got 'rose tinted spectacles syndrome'. TBH I didn't even know that tracks like Cadwell had a noise limit. Didn't seem to be the case back in 2001. :old: I suppose if it was opened up to any V twin there might be more takers. :?

I think that would be likely your best bet, yes.