It is currently 21 May 2024 01:32

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017 17:49 

Current ride: X1 Lightning
For medical reasons (I live in the countryside and can no longer afford to take the everyday risks associated with riding motorcycles since my wife can no longer drive and couldn't get about if anything happened to me) and I have very reluctantly decided to sell my treasured Buell Millennium Special Edition X1 Lightning. See photos two and three out of the four.

I have owned it since new in 2000 and it has the unique "Harley V Twin" related number plate of V2HLY. (To the known trolls on this site - please keep your snide opinions on special number plates on vehicles to yourselves.)

I will also be selling some new and as new X1 spares as listed below.

My bike is number 70 out of a limited edition run of 800 X1 Millennium models made for worldwide distribution in 2000, of which about 20 were originally imported into the UK. It came with silver ceramic coated stainless steel exhaust headers, special alloy foot rests (much better than the horrible and clunky steel and rubber standard items) and an alloy finished engine and a couple of other non-standard features.

Non standard components are as follows:-

Polished alloy gear and chain cases, rear wheel pulley and swing arm.

S3 Thunderbolt EFI fuel tank (to replace the original silver and red decal Millennium fuel cell cover) in Buell Blue Streak with front fender, chin fairing and over headlight wind deflector to match.

Re-worked dual seat to fit the S3 fuel tank.

Scorpion stainless exhaust race muffler. (I am currently getting a split in a welded seam on the header collector to muffler u-bend connector repaired - a consequence of the header retaining nuts having come loose whilst touring n France last year.) Note - the silver ceramic coated stainless steel exhaust headers have a couple of minor scuff marks as a result of a f*cktard white van man stopping dead, for no good reason, on the exit of a roundabout a few years ago and my having to grab a large handful of front brake whilst the bike was still leaned over at about 5 mph.

K&N air cleaner (polished alloy elbow) kit enclosed by an altered Force Motor Products carbon fibre Race Winder air box. ("Unobtainium" since about 2001.)

Buell race ECU. (Re-mapping of the standard ECU, to accommodate the air cleaner and exhaust changes, was not readily available in 2000.)

Carbon fibre rear wheel hugger (with an extra layer of carbon fibre added on the inside to reinforce what was originally a fairly flimsy item.)

Polished alloy gear and brake levers.

1999 model dedent plate ( I preferred it to the 2000 onwards plate.)

The bike has a full MOT history and a genuine 17,264 miles on the clock and was SORN'd at the end of the summer 2016 after I returned home from a solo tour of Brittany in France.

It has never been thrashed and has very rarely been taken over 4,000 rpm and 99% of its life on the road has been at light throttle loads at well under 3,500 rpm. It has mostly been used for runs out into the Cotswolds and into Norfolk and I have taken it across France into Italy and Spain several times for some long distance solo touring.

It has been kept stored in a modern, dry garage block when not on the road and has only been accidentally exposed to rain about three times.

The transmission oil was replaced about 5 years ago, after the chaincase gasket developed a minor leak during a tour of northern Spain, and I have replaced the engine oil (with Duckhams SAE 50) and filter every thousand or so miles.

I fitted a new Lambda / O2 sensor a few years ago (before I realised that a tickover hesitation was being caused by a leaking carburettor inlet seal - replaced accordingly) and I have also fitted the newer type of rocker box to cylinder head gaskets to both heads since the originals were prone to leaking after a few thousand miles.

I am asking £8,500-00 for the bike and unique Harley V2 number plate and, personally speaking, I would have killed for the opportunity to have paid such a paltry amount for such a magnificent machine when I was in my 30s. I am 63 now and won't be entertaining stupid offers and would be happy to sit on it for many years since I don't need the money.

It would suit a discerning businessman who, like me, understands the difference between fillet steak and beef burger and can't understand why anyone could be willing to fork out over £8,500-00 for a new 1200cc Harley Sportster when there still just a few, very well maintained and beautiful, X1 (and other) Buells about and these have much better brakes, handling, "balls out" charisma and engine power characteristics than said brand new Harley Sportsters.

Separately; I have the following spares for sale:-

An essentially brand new X1 Millennium fuel cell cover. (This is probably, the only one still in existence word-wide and, as such, is truly "unobtainium.") This was taken off the bike shortly after I purchased it in 2000 and it has been kept boxed (along with the black plastic fuel cell and associated fittings - including the original air clear components and fuel tank side mouldings) ever since.

Brand new X1 speedometer. (I sold an almost new 1999 X1 Viper special edition model as p/x against the Millennium model in 2000 and had previously had the gearbox and rear wheel pulleys and speedo changed to US spec, from new, and had kept the original components.)

Brand new X1 rear wheel pulley.

Brand new X1 gearbox pulley.

Brand new cast alloy X1 brake pedal.

As new. Painstakingly custom made (by me) ace handlebars to fit the X1. Brazed and polished and chromed and pre-drilled to take the handlebar controls and with a handlebar grip position an inch or two forward and lower than standard but with proper side to side clearance for the (S3) tank. The second photo shows the bars fitted to the bike in advance of a continental tour some years ago. They have subsequentially been replaced with the original component.

I have included a (first of the four) photo of the bike as I picked it up from the showroom in 2000 - before I started customising it. It had been fitted with a temporary carbon fibre exhaust muffler and the silver paintwork looks white in this shot.

Please feel free to message me on here or on carpswell@hotmail.com

Richard

Attachments:
Buell Millennium X1 Lightning 001.jpg
Buell Millennium X1 Lightning 001.jpg [ 196.7 KiB | Viewed 787 times ]
Buell mods.jpg
Buell mods.jpg [ 214.61 KiB | Viewed 787 times ]
Spain May 2012 008.jpg
Spain May 2012 008.jpg [ 220.23 KiB | Viewed 787 times ]
Carbon fibre Buell X1.jpg
Carbon fibre Buell X1.jpg [ 188.14 KiB | Viewed 787 times ]
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017 18:16 

Looking at this on a phone so can't see the photo very well. Is that the SRP 'bodge' kit on the rear shock?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017 18:51 
Site Admin

Yep.....and early rear isolators.....and standard engine mount.....

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017 22:20 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
Muppet :evil: £8.500 sit on it all you want, because that's all you will do at that price.. Try £5,800

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017 22:26 

Current ride: XB12SS
Is there any need to get insulting?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017 22:42 
Site Admin

I really believe there is.......whoever buys that bike will need to spend around 2K to put it right.
8.5 K is a joke as is Daves estimate of 5.8K......I would say 3.5K max.
Methinks Monty will own this bike until the day he dies :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017 23:19 
Site Admin

The reg. number is probably worth more than the bike itself to some sad H-D owner......no self respecting Buell owner would ever want their bike associated with H-D.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017 00:24 

Current ride: The wife
Quote:
The transmission oil was replaced about 5 years ago
Regularly maintained then

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017 08:00 

Current ride: Pushbike!
I already ran to get popcorn....

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017 08:31 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
Mickrick wrote:
I already ran to get popcorn....

:rotfl:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017 08:53 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
Montyhound wrote:
My bike is number 70 out of a limited edition run of 800 X1 Millennium models

Montyhound then (paraphrased) wrote:
Non standard components are as follows:-
* S3 Thunderbolt EFI fuel tank, with front fender, chin fairing and wind deflector to match....
* Re-worked dual seat to fit the S3 fuel tank....
* Scorpion stainless exhaust race muffler...
* K&N air cleaner (polished alloy elbow) kit with altered Force Motor Products carbon fibre Race Winder air box......

Not sure I want to get into this..but here goes..

So anyone specifically looking for the limited edition year 2000 Millenium X1 will be shit out of luck :?: :?

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017 09:33 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
I think it's wearing one of my old cylinder heads, and wasn't the upgraded gear linkage fitted in 2000 :?: :eat:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017 10:41 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
gusm2 wrote:
I think it's wearing one of my old cylinder heads, and wasn't the upgraded gear linkage fitted in 2000 :?: :eat:

2001 I think

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017 12:07 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
Your probably right ;)

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017 12:27 

dinogyro wrote:
Is there any need to get insulting?

I think the rudeness was started in the 2nd paragraph of the advert. However, it really is a comedy price.