It is currently 28 Mar 2024 15:27

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Guy
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 17:55 

Current ride: 1997 S3T
Hello fellow Buell Enthusiasts!

My classic (20 year old) tuber and I are are pretty lonesome out here.

Harley drivers hate me because I ride a Buell. Rice burner cowboys hate me because I ride a Buell. I'm not terribly competitive, so I really don't fit the "Prove Your Stuff" club atmosphere in this part of the world. At my age, I have nothing left to prove. I did my last serious wheelie about 15 years ago. Still, I love my grumpy old tuber.

Kathryn (wife) and I have been to the UK twice. The folks there make a lot more sense and are a lot more fun than the nutters I'm generally surrounded with here. And, as you may have noticed, it's getting worse.

So, I thought I'd give this a try. I will likely just lurk, although I do have opinions. I have done a lot of math over, and made a lot of modifications to, to my faithful steed, so far with excellent results. If I think I CAN contribute, I will. But I don't argue. I just know what works for me.

I hope I can fit in.

Reis

(Reese. Yup, Welsh. You cannot teach those folks the proper use of vowels, but I love 'em anyway!)

Post subject: Re: New Guy
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 18:15 

Current ride: X1 2001
surrounded by Nutters :mrgreen:

hello welcome to a sort of therapy group
never take it too seriously :yup:

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 18:55 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
Welcome :yup:

A few Merricans pop up on here from time to time....one more than others.

Good to have you here. Post a pic when you get a chance :D

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 20:17 

Welcome 8-) From a Welsh half breed lOl

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 20:37 

Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
Hi Reis and welcome aboard. Always good to hear another perspective. What flavour tuber is she? What did you do with her?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 20:37 

Wow. That was fast! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hi Adam! Yup, me too. Welsh and German. And I think I had a great-great-great-great grandfather on my mom's side who was a vicar from the east coast of England. I believe he was hung for some misbehavior with the congregation. :o

Hi Nutah!
I've been around the block. I'm fairly difficult to offend, and unlikely to take anything too seriously, but thanks for the reminder. And therapy is always good! :headbang:

Hi Kiwi! (isn't that the other side of the globe? Been down under, but never made it to NZ...)
Uh, yeah, about that pix; "The Beast" as Kathryn affectionately refers to her, isn't terribly photogenic. Beasty's my only personal transport (K owns the car), and I'm not much for show bikes. If anyone is interested, I can run off the list of what has been done. My most recent accomplishment is a self made Buell Pro Race muff built around a Magnaflow muffler. Works great, sounds awesome without too much noise (I think it would squeak past the infamous MOT test in the UK) AND is within 1.25 cm of the same tuning as the Buell offering of the day. Also, it won't blow out in 2500 miles like the Buell can did. :dance:

Who else from the colonies (USA included, of course) appears around here?

Oh, one more thing. My dyno guy, Barry, is a Kiwi. Suggest he fudge the numbers for a dyno shoot-out and you'll earn a big fat knot on the head! lOl I like him...

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 20:44 

Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
Sorry, should have read the profile. 97 S3T, a fine year 97, love my 97 M2

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 21:58 

Hi Graeme1203!

"The Beast" is a 1997 S3T. When I run this down, bear in mind that I studied my personal riding style and did all of the math (DCR, intake and exhaust tuning, carburetion, RPM range, cam spec, etc.) based on how I personally wanted it to ride.

All inside the cases work done by Tony Morro, Morro's American Iron. All external (intake, exhaust, etc) and all the design math done by me.

OK, you asked for it;
An honest 1300 CC, not punched. Rejugged, iron liners, bored 0.010 over from 79.5" to 80".
CP custom pistons, 7cc pop up. Pistons, rods and flywheel balanced to within 15 grams, about as close as we could get.
Mildly ported (cleaned up, polished and then lightly swirled)Thunderstorm heads. The pistons and 71cc heads provide a 10.3:1 static CR.
Red Shift 585 V2 cams. DCR is 8.7:1. Remember, I'm stuck with 91 octane fuel here.
V-Thunder hydrosolid lifters.
Since my riding style is on the low side for the RS cams, I opted for the Sporty flywheel. It's a little heavier and doesn't have the knife edge, but it idles a little smoother and picks up revs *just* fine.
Mikuni HSR42 carburetor, 167.5 Main jet, otherwise pretty well stock. Here again, the smaller size is predicated by my personal riding style.
Forcewinder intake, length fine tuned for 4500 RPM and up.
S3 Street pipe, custom transition, into a Magnaflow 12866 muffler, tip recovered from the Pro Race muff and a hand built TIG welded mount. Solid, no header cracks so far in 1500 miles
Baker xl6 transmission.
Barnett Clutch

Barry, the grumpy Kiwi I mentioned earlier, dyno'd it a month ago. 93.2 lb/ft (oh, ok, 126.4 Nm) torque @ 4500 RPM, 101.8 HP (75.9 Kw?) RWHP @ 6500-6800RPM. It flattened out at the top because I had a 162.5 main jet at that time. AFR on the dyno was 12.4~13.2 all the way to 5200 RPM. Once we got into the main the AFR went to 14:1 Fortunately, I don't spend a lot of time there, but I went ahead and bumped the main to 165, then to 167.5.

It's going back with the correct jet installed in abut three weeks.

Oh, and here is a top tip for the plastic tank paint problem;
Caswell two part tank sealer. Tougher than Chinese math, no paint bubbles in over a year. Beats POR 15 by a ton, especially in plastic tanks. This is the ONLY stuff that guarantees when properly mixed and applied it will seal a plastic tank against ALL types of fuel, even race fuel.

Hope this doesn't make everyone flee from the insane American guy.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 22:16 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
Welcome aboard, I've visited SoCal quite a few times now, what part are you in?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 22:26 

Oops. 71cc is the combustion chamber size, NOT the heads. That takes into account the 7cc pop up. Also, 15 degree 0.030 squish area, hand matched to the heads, which you probably know are notoriously inaccurate in those years.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 22:31 

Hello gusm2 (Gee, wonder what HE rides... :D )

Orange County. Lake Forest, if you really know the area. Where do you hale from?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 22:37 
Nanny Brown

Welcome to the mad house.. I am not allowed in Technical but often try and sneak in if I can. I like to rattle the cage now and then.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 22:49 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
Yup M2 owner for 16 years now, I have two stepson who live in O.C one in Tustin the other in Orange, I won't be going this year however due to other plans and projects.
I've hired quite a few bikes while visiting the kids..........not all Harleys :shock: ;),
It's a great place to visit but I'm always glad to get back on the right side the pond.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017 23:17 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
CaliforniaTuber wrote:
Oh, one more thing. My dyno guy, Barry, is a Kiwi. Suggest he fudge the numbers for a dyno shoot-out and you'll earn a big fat knot on the head! lOl I like him...

Hey CT. Yeah I know Barry! lOl

I'm just a tourist over here taking advantage of a Euro passport, getting in some adventure before the body starts to slow down and a rocking chair trumps an airport processing queue. Will have to go back in the near future as family Elders are doing just that...getting elder.

Seriously though, next time you see Bazza, if he is from the Hawkes-Bay area, born in the 70s and grew up on bikes (British or American) we probably knew or knew of each other. One of my brothers owned one of the first HDs in town (79XLH) and my first bigblock was one of the first 1340s in town. Buells were rarer the hens teeth!

Your Buell sounds like a beast alright! 8-)

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017 00:34 

Hi Jill Brown!

Sounds like one bike for terrorizing coast roads and one for the city. Makes sense to me; my backup is a 2008 KLR650. Rides a lot like a Blast with a touch more ground clearance.

Isn't there an island near there where they have some kind of a leisurely ride once a year or so? :o