It is currently 28 Mar 2024 14:54

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ethanol in unleaded
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017 18:44 

Current ride: buell xb12ss 2008
I keep reading in various magazine articles about modern unleaded fuels containing Ethanol and the problems this can cause within the bikes fuel system . Don"t fully understand it to be honest, but just wondered if anyone has any opinions or advice on the best unleaded to use, for example wether to use premium 95 RON or super unleaded 97 RON or higher and if to use fuel stabiliser aditives or similar to help counteract the damaging affects of Ethanol . My bike is a 2008 BUELL XB12SS . Any opinions or advice would be great ! Thanks Mark

Post subject: Re: Ethanol in unleaded
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017 19:24 

Current ride: Donkey
Its been discussed before and there a load of different opinions and words of advice so i will start the ball rolling! on my 2009ss i run Shell V power nitro and i add Forte advanced gas treatment (will try to add a link) and my bike runs good and strong! http://www.forteuk.co.uk/product-detail ... -Treatment

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017 20:09 

Current ride: buell xb12ss 2008
Thanks for reply and the sound advice . Forte looks like good stuff !

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017 21:13 

Current ride: X1 2001
talktorque wrote:
Thanks for reply and the sound advice . Forte looks like good stuff !

..tastes fukin awfull though :rotfl:

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017 21:35 

Current ride: Donkey
Two things i would add 1. Nutah its nice with a slice of lemon! lol 2. Talk if you are using your bike on a regular basis its not a major problem its when it sits a lot like mine does (especially outdoors) but a while back i contacted shell and they are pretty happy to say its ok for up to (roughly) 6 months before the ethanol really causes problems, they wouldnt commit to longer because they only did tests for 6 months! so you probably dont need to rush to add Forte but it sure wont hurt the bike if you do!! :yup:

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017 11:22 

Current ride: 1125R
BP and Esso (Esso is except in the South West) super unleaded don't have any ethanol in them.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017 12:01 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
talktorque wrote:
just wondered if anyone has any opinions or advice on the best unleaded to use, for example wether to use premium 95 RON or super unleaded 97 RON or higher

RON is purely related to pre-detonation, ie knock. If your engine isn't knocking on a low RON fuel then running a higher RON value adds no value whatsoever, it just wastes your money, it's a marketing con trick.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017 06:11 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
I run whatever the fuel station I pull into sells and all the bikes seem to run the same regardless of brand even dare I say when i put the dreaded supermarket own brand left overs in ;)

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017 10:30 

Current ride: ULYSSES XB12X
8-)

Ethanol I believe is at the 5% level but there is a push from Europe for 10% The stuff is horrid and has been known to distort plastic fuel tanks and wreck plastic carb parts.

The Americans have been using it for years and HD bikes have been compatible with the use of this stuff for years.

I try to stick to established brands of petrol as I have found some supermarket fuels to be of a lesser quality.

Churchill

Attachments:
MCI-Members-E10-Listings_Aug-2013.pdf [170.93 KiB]
Downloaded 49 times
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017 21:03 

Current ride: XB9SX
The problem with ethanol in fuel as it was explained to me is that if left to stand too long in low usage vehicles, the fuel constituents separate. I use super U/L whenever possible and add a little bit of fuel stabiliser.....and the occasional shot of injector cleaner. ;)

A chap who worked for Shell told me that all petrol is the same until the buyer specifies what cocktail of additives they are prepared to pay for. He said main Shell garages will add more of the good stuff than discount garage chains or supermarkets........well he would say that! lOl

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017 09:55 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
edd wrote:
The problem with ethanol in fuel as it was explained to me is that if left to stand too long in low usage vehicles, the fuel constituents separate. I use super U/L whenever possible and add a little bit of fuel stabiliser.....and the occasional shot of injector cleaner. ;)

A chap who worked for Shell told me that all petrol is the same until the buyer specifies what cocktail of additives they are prepared to pay for. He said main Shell garages will add more of the good stuff than discount garage chains or supermarkets........well he would say that! lOl

:yt:
also it is hydroscopic , so whilst your pride and joy is resting over the winter months in a damp cold garage/ shed . The fuel is absorbing whatever moisture it can :headbang:
http://www.rjwsurvey.com/uploads/Ethanol.pdf