It is currently 28 Mar 2024 22:54

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Scanaliser
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017 09:11 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
albert666 wrote:
I have an ecm spy cable and a buelltooth dongle if you need to borrow them, not far from stratford

Yay!

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017 09:37 
proff. patpending

chrisx1 wrote:
I haven't checked the pressure. How do I do that?

Disconnect the filter and connect to a pressure gauge. Ignition on, kill switch to run. The pump will whirrrrrr up. You are looking for 49psi.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017 09:50 
proff. patpending

albert666 wrote:
I have an ecm spy cable and a buelltooth dongle if you need to borrow them, not far from stratford

TPS reset procedure here

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017 10:36 

Current ride: Buell X1
That would be great. Your in Banbury I see. What time are you open until during the week?

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017 11:11 
Site Admin

pash wrote:
chrisx1 wrote:
I haven't checked the pressure. How do I do that?

Disconnect the filter and connect to a pressure gauge. Ignition on, kill switch to run. The pump will whirrrrrr up. You are looking for 49psi.

X1 has a test port :)

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017 12:22 

Sorry to be a complete dick, but do you connect it to the bottom of the fuel outlet which I think might be a schrader valve or do you connect it to the fuel line which you have just dissconnected. This one will have them rolling in the isles Mabel!

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017 13:20 
proff. patpending

Depends what fitting you have.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017 13:47 

Well I've ordered a pressure tester with multiple fittings. So if I have one that fits do I screw it onto the bottom thread of the outlet. And if so do I still need to disconnect the filter. I would expect fuel to spurt out everywhere with the pipe off.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017 18:26 
proff. patpending

Maybe we should change the title of this thread... However, here's an update.

Chris got in contact with me some weeks ago to show him how to use ECMSpy and hopw to do a TPS reset on his X1. He came to visit and I gave him a tutorial, in return he brought some plums, which Ms Pash devoured with gusto...

The TPS reset didn't fix the issue and no codes were stored.

Chris asked if he could bring his tank (and pump etc.) over to try out on my bike. This he did, ferrying it by car, and whilst he was over we used my Chinesium fuel pressure gauge to look at... the fuel pressure. He had previously checked it with his Chinesium fuel pressure gauge (which actually turned out to be a higher quality one then mine) and he had seen 49psi with his new regulator, however the pressure dropped rapidly when the pump stopped running. This was confirmed on my gauge.

Interestingly my fuel system on my X1 ran up to 90psi and maintained that pressure, only dropping a couple of psi in a few tens of seconds. As a result, I went and bought a new pressure regulator as an insurance policy, and filled the tank with fuel and a huge glug of RedEx...

I tried his tank on my X1 and it appeared to run OK, it wheelied with the usual ease down the back lane. Obviously this wasn't a conclusive test, so I sent him away with my tank.

He tried my tank (with the high performance 90psi regulator) and his bike ran as he thought it should do. I also tested his tank out, the longest ride being this morning, a 20 mile round trip to Riders. It felt a bit feathery but to be honest it had not had time for the AFV to catch up.

Prior to this, I had decided to look into his pressure loss after the pump had primed and I found the O-rings were not sealing well. I found some other O-rings to try but the pressure still dropped, even though the sealing looked good. In the end I swapped to a new Buell pressure regulator, the one I bought as an insurance policy.

Chris came over on his X1 today (I envy the yellowness), and we swapped the tank back, I saw no issue with his tank based on the ride in the morning and the odd test around the black and in the back lane which I had carried out.

As soon as the tank was swapped, the bike did not want to tick over and it felt like it was running on one cylinder, just the rear. In fact it got to the stage where the engine would not run at all... We swapped the tank back and it ran fine with mine and my bike ran OK with his tank.

We plugged in ECMSpy. AFV was 143%. The AFV is applied to the idle fuel map, so 43% more fuel was needed for the bike to tick over, and that was with my 90psi fuel system. As an aside, the idle on the X1 is not closed loop, so it doesn't need the O2 sensor.

A high AFV is indicative of a leak in the inlet system, between the butterfly and the cylinder head, so this means injector seals or inlet manifold seals. A good test for this is to spray carb cleaner or WD40 around the sealing areas. I used WB40 and it made no difference to engine sound. Chris had previously tried carb cleaner and got the same results.

I checked my AFV, and it was 82%, probably because it had been running with a 90psi fuel system and had not had chance to put itself into the groove with Chris's 49psi fuel system.

Next thing I did was to set the AFV on Chris's bike to 100%. The bike would not tick over, just as it had behaved with his tank. After a few tried to start it, it would no longer run.

I looked at live data on ECMSpy and the two measurements that the ECM was responding to, inlet air temperature (19 deg C - heated by the engine radiation) and engine temperature (60 deg C - the engine had cooled significantly since arriving) looked reasonable.

I swapped to my spare X1 ECM and performed a TPS reset but the engine would not take 100% AFV.

As I was very late for lunch (nearly 5pm by this time), I sent him away with my tank again, with some injectors to try at his leisure.

So, here's my thoughts:

High AFV:
* Bad TPS reset - We did a TPS reset with no effect
* Intake leak - didn't respond to WD40 nor carb cleaner
* Bad ECM inputs - measurements of temperature looked reasonable
* Bad ECM - substituted with no effect
* Bad injectors - Chris has some to try
* Blockage in the fuel filer - Chris tells me this is new, but maybe we bypass it next
* Blockage in the fuel lines - this can be checked when stripped to change the injectors - I remember a chap had some rust build-up and reported it here some years ago

Anything I have neglected to consider?

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017 19:57 

Current ride: X1 2001
:shock:
above & beyond the call of duty Pash :worthy:

fuel filter , would seem a potential issue,but im guessing TBH

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017 20:11 
Site Admin

Injectors fooked would be mine.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017 20:19 
Site Admin

......and 90 psi !!!! :o :o :o WTF ?

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017 20:33 
proff. patpending

Maz wrote:
......and 90 psi !!!! :o :o :o WTF ?

2002 X1s love the extra performance :twisted:

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017 20:37 
Site Admin

Bullshit :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017 21:41 

I think Pash has covered it. As Maz has suggested f#%^*d injectors, swapping them over will be the next step. As Pash's pump is pumping at almost twice the pressure, is this likely to cause any damage?