Last visit was: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:01 am It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00




 [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: bike security
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:43 pm
Posts: 11
Current ride: buellxb12
There seemS to be a spate of thefts just lately of parked up , unattended bikes around these parts What are people using as security , not in the garage if think mines as good as i can get it but when you are out and about ? that easy enough to carry without an added tralier and back up van


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: bike security
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:51 pm
Posts: 111
Current ride: XB12ss
Location: CROYDON
Not too sure but i think you can get an alarm that sends a text to your phone if its being moved etc but they can get them in a van so bloody quick i guess just buy the biggest/best lock and chain you can afford/carry and lock it to something solid and keep it up off the ground to make cutting it harder! and try to park in busy well lit areas if possible.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: bike security
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 1994
Current ride: XB9SX
Never let it out of my sight except for short periods when out and about. A visible lock just tells the scumbags you are not watching it! :roll:


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: bike security
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 1994
Current ride: XB9SX
edd wrote:
Never let it out of my sight except for short periods when out and about. A visible lock just tells the scumbags you are not watching it! :roll:


Ok so that's being super careful, but like tone say's; on occasion when l had to leave it l put a high tensile sleeved cable with high security lock around a large imoveable object in public place where a thief trying to cut it would result in a lot of attention. ;)


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: bike security
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 7:54 pm
Posts: 2311
Current ride: 1999 X1
Location: Texas, Gerrards Cross
I've always found if I leave the key in the X1's ignition, it'll still be there when I come back. lOl This method has worked for all my Buells back to '92.

_________________
Bob Krzeszkiewicz
2011 Kawasaki Z1000SX - 1999 Buell X1


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: bike security
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:28 pm
Posts: 489
Current ride: 1125r
Location: South
dingbat wrote:
There seemS to be a spate of thefts just lately of parked up , unattended bikes around these parts What are people using as security , not in the garage if think mines as good as i can get it but when you are out and about ? that easy enough to carry without an added tralier and back up van



Where is 'these parts' Ding?


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: bike security
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:29 pm
Posts: 1316
I bet good money that if thieves broke into my garage the only machine left there would be the M1.
Whatever you do don't fit an alarm.

Andy


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: bike security
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 pm
Posts: 8121
Current ride: Buell X1 2001
Location: southampton
well the more locks you put on it , the longer it takes scumbags to get them off
so a secure lock chain combo & disc lock minimum..how much money do you want to spend

however Buell's are not as worth nicking as R1 etc...so park it near one, then they will nick that instead hopefully

_________________
Obey the principles without being bound by them.
Bruce Lee

2001 X1 :4roz:


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: bike security
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:43 pm
Posts: 11
Current ride: buellxb12
ha ha good idea let the nick the ricer , i was looking for something not too heavy or cumbersome , if i were to go any distance i`d stick a tank bag on as id have spanners a spare belt so size and weight not so much of a problem , but shortish journeys :?:


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: bike security
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:55 pm
Posts: 4359
Current ride: 98 S1W
Location: Perth, not the Scottish one
dingbat wrote:
i was looking for something not too heavy or cumbersome , if i were to go any distance i`d stick a tank bag on as id have spanners a spare belt so size and weight not so much of a problem , but shortish journeys :?:


On my M2 I used to use a folding link lock, kept in a small pushbike saddlebag strapped to the rear right foot peg hanger.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: bike security
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:55 pm
Posts: 4359
Current ride: 98 S1W
Location: Perth, not the Scottish one
Bonzo wrote:
dingbat wrote:
i was looking for something not too heavy or cumbersome , if i were to go any distance i`d stick a tank bag on as id have spanners a spare belt so size and weight not so much of a problem , but shortish journeys :?:


On my M2 I used to use a folding link lock, kept in a small pushbike saddlebag strapped to the rear right foot peg hanger.


PS - I'm still using it. Looks like it originally came with its own bag :-

Image

http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_messages/117140/Cyclelok-6-arm-te-koop-1.html


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: bike security
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:43 pm
Posts: 11
Current ride: buellxb12
Where is 'these parts' Ding?[/quote]

I live in Birmingham , but i see on the dreaded social media a few going missing , got me thinking

and you would most certainly need security down there Bonzo, living amidst all those convicts !


Top
   
 
 [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited