It is currently 29 Mar 2024 15:26

All times are UTC

Post subject: Buell replacement
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 18:07 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Today, I've been riding this...

...as a thought to replace one or more Buells...

Picked the bike up from Dick Lovett's in Bristol and the salesman ran me through the details. ABS, basic traction control, the onboard computer, the fact that it had loads of engine braking, that it would grow on me etc. After taking that all in, I snicked into first gear in one buttery smooth movement before pulling away to escape from Steve the salesman. First impression was "where's the torque?", I'm used to a big grunt with a whiff of throttle to pull my arms out of their sockets (exaggeration) and it wasn't there. Okay I thought as I made my way to my little test route which includes lots of poor road surface followed by faster smoother stuff with tight bends then high speed with long sweepers. Opening the throttle at low revs in a high gear didn't give the response of a Buell (my S1 at least) and made lots of clapping (not sure how else to describe) sounds from the exhaust. But it revved to 8500, about 2000 more than a 12, and that's where the (110hp on paper) power comes from, and it was quite engaging with revs, maybe cos it was a novelty. The handling was nice, the S1 I tend to be fighting with at low speed on uneven surfaces, the BMW not so. At higher speeds the BMW was more comfortable but a little soft with some wallow on my high speed bends. The engine was (nice) lumpy at low revs but super smooth (boring) at higher speeds. I didn't once feel that need to look at the computer apart from to see what time it was. As I came back into Bristolia in the heavy traffic, I was reminded how thin Buells are and how much of a pleasure for filtering, the BMW had wide mirrors and cylinders that protruded to cause concern with small gaps. It also felt heavy compared to a Buell and also felt like there would be trouble not too far from the horizontal, surprising after reports of nice balancing of the GS range.

Anyway, I was relieved to give it back and to be honest I had been looking forward to the ride home (on the S1) throughout the ride on the BMW.

Many thanks to my local BMW dealer, there was a potential sale but unfortunately I wasn't won over...

Interestingly two of the salesmen there used to sell Buells. One told me he and his wife had sold their XB12S and had bought one of these 9Ts (but a high handlebar one) as they missed the Buell and this was as close as they could get to one. The other salesman seemed to be putting Buells on a pedestal as if they were a benchmark, obviously they are to me as apart from a little V4 Honda and an Ossa that's all I own.

I enjoyed the ride home, as expected, and treated the salesroom to a mini (2000rpm) wheelie as I set off.

If only I could get interested in motorcycles again... :?

Post subject: Re: Buell replacement
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 18:28 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
Nice write up :yup:

Next task - Thruxton R. Thinking about treating myself to one this time next year. :D I'd be interested in your opinion :worthy:

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 18:49 
proff. patpending

t965m wrote:

Next task - Thruxton R. Thinking about treating myself to one this time next year. :D I'd be interested in your opinion :worthy:

Maybe but it doesn't inspire me. Jez can do a review as he owns one.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 19:11 

Current ride: The wife
Nice honest write up Nick 8-)
Have you tried a KTM 1290 Superduke r ?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 19:15 
proff. patpending

Finmows wrote:
Nice honest write up Nick 8-)
Have you tried a KTM 1290 Superduke r ?

No, doesn't inspire me one jot. Not sure what does...

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 19:23 

Current ride: S1W,Hype,HP2,R1200RS
t965m wrote:

ImageDSC_0129 by jeznewsome, on Flickr

I rode the NineT and Thruxton R last year as a comparison.... and bought the latter. Disappointed that the NineT with the half fairing has downspecced brake and forks compared the last years naked version. Still loving the look and ride of the TTR

That said I took the S1W out today, for the first time this year for an MoT and then a wee ride out. Forgotten how much I enjoy riding that bike!

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 19:27 
proff. patpending

As I said to the salesman, if I bought the 9T, and it sat in the garage next to my Buells, it would never get ridden... I would go from S1 to X1 to Firebolt to S1 etc... I just wouldn't want to ride it.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 19:37 
Milf Hunter

Current ride: '98 S1
I love the look of the BMW (and have had it as my screensaver at work for months) but I don't think that I could part with that sort of money. I really need a bike for two up stuff, for when Sam can't take his 125 with us, but nothing floats my boat. I may end up with a Honda Grom....

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 19:41 

Current ride: The wife
After reading your write up again it seems perfectly clear that the S1 will not be going anywhere ;)
As for finding a replacement for a Buell, that will be impossible (handling, looks, grin factor...breakdowns lOl) but finding another bike will all depend on what you want it for
There are hundreds of models to choose from, have you considered getting something close to what you want and making it "better" (Speed triple, Bandit, Sportster etc) make it yours...unique, different?
Then there's the real decision...
Are you sure you are losing the interest in bikes?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 20:36 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
I love my Hypermotard and have put ove 60k on it, mostly commuting. I always get to work with a smile on my face and am always ready to have a blast on the way home. It really is mega :)

I want something to potter about on which has decent handling and looks good (to me). The only things that have caught my eye are the Thrusxton R and the Ducati Scrambler Café Racer. Sadly they both have a problem, there's bloody loads of them out there ;)

That's part of the attraction of the Buell/EBR and Hyper, their rarity. Also the grin factor and handling, obviously :D

So Jez, what's it like?

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 20:41 

Current ride: X1 2001
nice write up Nick :yup:
always like real peoples reviews rather than bike mag journalists
(the boxer bmw ,i remember Yoffi trying to get me to try his HP2
not my thing at all )

maybe you've not lost interest in bikes...just modern bikes
too many electronic wiz bang gee jaws , removing the feel of real riding experience :?:

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 20:54 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
When you get the chance pash give a speed triple a go. I've still got mine and six years of ownership haven't dulled the feeling I get when I've had a good blast on it. Perfect fuelling, lightish weight (sub 200 kg), and good low end torque. Revs are a thousand higher than the S1 at any given speed. And a nice crackle on the overrun with the arrow pipe on. Mine is going nowhere in the next six years :yup:

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 21:13 

t965m wrote:
I love my Hypermotard and have put ove 60k on it, mostly commuting. I always get to work with a smile on my face and am always ready to have a blast on the way home. It really is mega :)

I want something to potter about on which has decent handling and looks good (to me). The only things that have caught my eye are the Thrusxton R and the Ducati Scrambler Café Racer. Sadly they both have a problem, there's bloody loads of them out there ;)

That's part of the attraction of the Buell/EBR and Hyper, their rarity. Also the grin factor and handling, obviously :D

So Jez, what's it like?

I tried a Thruxton R when my speed triple was in for a service, did 200 miles on it and I thought it was ace apart from the efforts to make it a classic bike, it looked a tiny bit contrived to me but I would have one quite happily.
It had a decent bit of go to it and the handling was just a hoot.
Ducati desert sled look great as well, not ridden one though.

Andy

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 21:44 

Current ride: m2 cyclone
Not ridden one and are expensive but i would want a norton if going retro

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017 21:48 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
mojomick wrote:
I love the look of the BMW (and have had it as my screensaver at work for months) but I don't think that I could part with that sort of money. I really need a bike for two up stuff, for when Sam can't take his 125 with us, but nothing floats my boat. I may end up with a Honda Grom....

You need a Uly Mick ;)