Last visit was: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:02 pm It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00




 [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:55 pm
Posts: 501
Current ride: S1W,XB9R,690SM,TTR
Location: Preston, Lancs
OK, so what has everyone else done to damp/protect the headstock area frame paint from the alloy of the front mount of the tank.

I've got some 3M 8671 HS helicopter tape but the difference in radius of the small frame cross bar and the alloy mount will need something a little thicker I feel.

Just looking for ideas......


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:45 pm 
Offline
proff. patpending
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 8:20 pm
Posts: 14221
Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Location: Bristol - Gateway to all things good
Bit of fuel/oil pipe sliced down the middle at the front.

Two pairs of these things in the middle.

The pre-recall rubber mount at the rear with a bespoke top hat spacer to ensure the tank isn't under any stress from front to back when screwed down.

_________________
08 Specialized Langster


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:29 pm
Posts: 1322
pash wrote:
Bit of fuel/oil pipe sliced down the middle at the front.

Two pairs of these things in the middle.

The pre-recall rubber mount at the rear with a bespoke top hat spacer to ensure the tank isn't under any stress from front to back when screwed down.



Pre-recall ?? :?

Andy


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:06 pm
Posts: 812
Current ride: 2004 Buell XB 12s
Location: Schoorl ,Netherlands
spondon440 wrote:
pash wrote:
Bit of fuel/oil pipe sliced down the middle at the front.

Two pairs of these things in the middle.

The pre-recall rubber mount at the rear with a bespoke top hat spacer to ensure the tank isn't under any stress from front to back when screwed down.



Pre-recall ?? :?

Andy


That's one without sharp teeth on the metal plate ,if i'm correct!?

_________________
The sound of a V-twin engine braking is music to my ears!!


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:55 pm
Posts: 501
Current ride: S1W,XB9R,690SM,TTR
Location: Preston, Lancs
Did that bit a while ago. http://www.ukbeg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20001.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:05 pm
Posts: 804
Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
Location: Sunny Suffolk
Don't suppose you made any spares?

_________________
Today my pet mouse Elvis died :cry: ..................He was caught in a trap
There are two types of people in this world, those that can extrapolate


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:55 pm
Posts: 501
Current ride: S1W,XB9R,690SM,TTR
Location: Preston, Lancs
Nope but is an easy 'blue peter' type job.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:37 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 pm
Posts: 11480
Location: Oswestry
brother in buells wrote:
spondon440 wrote:
pash wrote:
Bit of fuel/oil pipe sliced down the middle at the front.

Two pairs of these things in the middle.

The pre-recall rubber mount at the rear with a bespoke top hat spacer to ensure the tank isn't under any stress from front to back when screwed down.



Pre-recall ?? :?

Andy


That's one without sharp teeth on the metal plate ,if i'm correct!?


I think you are correct. Possibly not a good idea having the recall plate with teeth chewing into the ally tank. A piece of flat plate with appropriate spacer is probably better.

_________________
If your dreams don't scare you, they are not big enough.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:29 pm
Posts: 1322
I had sorted that anyway, I was about to get arsey with Holt works if he had done some recall on brackets and clamps and not included me seeing as I modified the brackets originally for him.

Andy


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:55 pm
Posts: 501
Current ride: S1W,XB9R,690SM,TTR
Location: Preston, Lancs
Just to finish the tale I used some wing leading edge/helicopter tape to protect the frame areas.

Two layers around where the nose of the front mount goes and around 16" wrapped around the 'cross bar' to increase its diameter in line with the cut out in CNC front mount.

Image2017-06-04_04-20-17 by jeznewsome, on Flickr

Image2017-06-04_04-19-59 by jeznewsome, on Flickr


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:05 pm
Posts: 804
Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
Location: Sunny Suffolk
Neat solution. :yup:

_________________
Today my pet mouse Elvis died :cry: ..................He was caught in a trap
There are two types of people in this world, those that can extrapolate


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:29 pm
Posts: 1322
That stuff looks great. :yup:


Top
   
 
 [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited