It is currently 19 Apr 2024 16:10

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Reverse brake bleeding
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013 14:34 
Would anybody care to recommend a tool to reverse bleed the front brake of my 1125R ? A lot of the stuff listed on Ebay are not true reverse bleeders but vacuum bleeders - I want something that will actually pump fluid in at the bleed nipple end and up into the reservoir as opposed to creating a vacuum to draw fluid through.

Read that it is worth trying to cure my pulsating front brake problem.

I do have a syringe and tube that I have used previously (on other bikes) but cannot find it now I want to use it. :headbang:

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013 16:00 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I think you will fix it by running the wheel round whilst applying emery paper to either side of the disc in the area where the pads bite.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013 19:37 
I use one of these with brake fluid in it

http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-oil-can ... tAodJkcACA

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013 21:38 
pash wrote:
I think you will fix it by running the wheel round whilst applying emery paper to either side of the disc in the area where the pads bite.

This is an on-going problem that I've had for more than a year - it's lucky that I have a sympathetic MOT tester.

I have cleaned the disc as described with no improvement. Next I had the wheel checked for runout - it was within the service manual limits. The disc and the fittings were changed for new items, together with a caliper clean,fluid replacement and pad change. And still the damn thing still pulses :headbang:

And the MOT is due soon, I really don't want to push my luck with it any further.

But I am going to get the wheel checked again, last time I left it with a "friend" (I will use that term loosely) to do, so I didn't actually see it being checked so I'm beginning to have my doubts.

So the only other thing to do is replace the wheel bearings and spacer and reverse bleed the brake ...

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013 21:44 
proff. patpending

Worth trying.

I had the same on my black Uly. I took the disc off, cleaned all the mounting kit then ran the disc through my hands and emery paper.

It's all good now.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013 09:47 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
It is said that the pulsing is caused by a build up pad material on the disc, this may be caused by holding the front brake on at junctions.
when I first got my Uly it would pulse under gentle braking , so I checked that the disc was able to move on its mounts and used scotch bright to clean the disc this made some improvement but the more I used the brake and the more aggressive I used it the better it got .others have chaged to a different manufacture of pads with simular results :idea:
Bleeding the brake conventional or reverse will only remove any trapped air , if the leaver feel solid no sponginess then no trapped air .

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013 10:05 
proff. patpending

I'm with you Barney, however if SM has been told that reverse bleeding will fix it, however unlikely it may appear, best to eliminate it from the equation.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013 10:49 
Problem is that I am running out of options ...

... although I am still not convinced that the wheel is not the problem - the runout tolerances are rather small - not really a problem on normal discs that are bolted to the centre hub - but with a disc bolted to the rim, together with the condition of our roads I think that it is a recipe for disaster.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013 11:11 
Reverse bleeding recommended thread -

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/B ... 0-later/2/

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013 12:39 
proff. patpending

Not read it but hopefully we can poo poo the suggestion through your investigations...

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013 20:26 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
sportster_mann wrote:
Problem is that I am running out of options ...

... although I am still not convinced that the wheel is not the problem - the runout tolerances are rather small - not really a problem on normal discs that are bolted to the centre hub - but with a disc bolted to the rim, together with the condition of our roads I think that it is a recipe for disaster.

please remember SM that the disc is NOT bolted to the rim it is a floating disc and at each bolt or fitment point there is about 1/4 inch or 6 mm movement

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013 10:49 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Try a different wheel complete with disc ;) ,it only needs to be fitted long enough to prove a point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013 18:41 

Current ride: XB12s Long
I've had this problem with Harley's they seem to be incapable of making a discs run concentric
with the wheel. You could run a clock on the disc to se if it is oscillating.

As the pads wear the problem gets worse.

My fix was to file a bit off (chamfer) the pads edge where it overlaps the edge of the disc runout.

Rim mounted disc would be towards the inside, axle mounted disc would be towards the outside.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017 19:45 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
pash wrote:

Hi Nick

Which grit did you use?

Bloody brake giving me grief.

N

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017 20:02 
proff. patpending

180, 240, ??? It's stainless so you aren't going to damage the disc with emery paper...