It is currently 29 Mar 2024 13:35

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: Track day. Question
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016 18:44 

There's a tidy looking 750 SRAD on the Trackday site at the moment. Looks like it'll go for less than £1k ;)

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016 19:35 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
Tadpole wrote:
Hi Kiwi, I did a few track days at Brands with instruction and some mates, I had a Ducati at the time. So half a dozen of us rocked up full of the joys etc etc. Well we went out with the bloke who was giving us instruction, he was evaluating us! In our minds we were doing quite well. Yeah, right. :rotfl: We then went in and had a lecture. He was quite sarcastic as some of the blokes were full of it, but then we went out to follow him. He could ride circles round us lot. He came past me at Paddock Hill on the edge of the kerb looking back and pointing for me to follow him. Now he was well used to the track, but we weren't going slow. Following him was great as long as you had the balearics to ride with that much faith in what the tyres can handle. From the start to finish he took 16 secs of my lap times, I could ride with him but not get past him. He probably could have done that on a 125, and my tyres were sore by the end of the day. It is addictive, so is the tyre bill. At the end of three learning experiences I felt much more sensible believe it or not. It also makes you glad that no one is coming the other way unlike the road. The instructor didn't take the "P" as none of us were race material, but he did improve all of us no end. Well worth the instruction fee, and makes you realise what a well set up bike can do. Oh yeah chicken strips, what are they? Be prepared go to the cafe and everyone thinks you're a complete nutter as they will have melted. Great fun. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Haha awesome Tadpole...I'm definitely going to pay for an instructor. Yep I'm sure there were some 'full of it' peeps on the course, they're everywhere in most sports. I'm under no delusion, after nearly 30 years of dirtbikes and road whales I need instruction for the track...can't wait. Haha chicken strips, watched that Keith Code DVD and they give each other shit about the 'ol chook strips.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016 19:50 

t965m wrote:
I'm going with Track Sense and they're transporting the bike there - local pickup in Falkirk. They crate it with all your riding kit. We're hoping to do a road trip making it a bit of a holiday :D

I'm lucky enough to have a Panigale 1199 with track plastics and all the road 'stuff' stripped off. I traded my touring bike in as I wasn't using it, so it didn't feel too expensive. I know, I'm a spoiled git. It makes me look much better than I really am :rotfl:

I'll let you know how it goes. Everyone I've spoken to rates Track Sense highly - anyone else heard anything different?

Nice one t965...and modest, 1199 is a beautiful machine and it sounds like you're really making the commitment in 2017...enjoy.

Looking forward to hearing how it all goes, maybe something like that for me in 2018 :)

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016 19:53 

Adam wrote:
There's a tidy looking 750 SRAD on the Trackday site at the moment. Looks like it'll go for less than £1k ;)

Hi Adam. Is that on trackdayriders.co .uk?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016 21:45 

Kiwi wrote:
Adam wrote:

Trackday riders&Racers on Facebook. I've just heard of a fully sorted R6 in Oswestry for sale. Trick suspension back and front, spare wheels with wets and several headers and cans + a load of other bits. Asking price is £2k ono. if you're interested, I can give you the blokes phone No. It runs mid fast group against the litre bikes.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016 22:11 

Adam wrote:
Kiwi wrote:
Adam wrote:

Trackday riders&Racers on Facebook. I've just heard of a fully sorted R6 in Oswestry for sale. Trick suspension back and front, spare wheels with wets and several headers and cans + a load of other bits. Asking price is £2k ono. if you're interested, I can give you the blokes phone No. It runs mid fast group against the litre bikes.

Sounds perfect Adam...PM'd you. Many thanks

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016 19:16 

Current ride: Tl1000s
If you want to share van costs I'm based near Brighton and keen to get back on southern tracks next year. Will be on a v twin, but tl1000s

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016 00:42 

Current ride: 1999 X1
birdy wrote:
If you want to share van costs I'm based near Brighton and keen to get back on southern tracks next year. Will be on a v twin, but tl1000s

Is it possible to effectively tune that abnormal rear damper for track quality control? Spent a few hours on a R version. A little squirrelly in handling. Good engine tho.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016 09:01 

Rotary replaced with a single shock, I think it's an r1 but jury's out on the tl forum....a load of other mods have got it handling ok. Still a bit of a bus compared to the firebolt though!

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 910 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 910 times ]
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016 11:57 

Keep an eye out for cracks around the bottom shock mount, they have been known to crack there. Does your bottom pic show a bit of 'aftermarket' welding?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016 12:11 

Adam wrote:
Keep an eye out for cracks around the bottom shock mount, they have been known to crack there. Does your bottom pic show a bit of 'aftermarket' welding?

Would have been cast originally? Looks suspiciously like a weld repair.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016 13:33 

I think (hope) that the bracket was welded on as the mod to fit the shock as originally it had the 'widow maker' seperate rotary damper plus seperate spring.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016 13:37 

I 'think' the rotary damper used the same brackets. If you fitted a Maxton conversion etc, I don't remember there being any alterations to the swinging arm. I may be wrong about this.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016 16:47 

No one on the tl forums knows exactly what this conversion I have actually is......there are similar but they involve normal shock linkages, this one bolts straight to the swing arm. Seems to be ok, tyre wear on track and road is as it should be;

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.83 MiB | Viewed 885 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 885 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 885 times ]
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016 11:11 

The suspension seems spot on :yup: No hot/cold tearing and the edges of the sipes are quite sharp.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next