It is currently 28 Mar 2024 09:39

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ulytuning
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016 14:16 

Current ride: ulysses
I must first admit to being a secret map fettler.But with the help of everybody I hope to end up with a well fuelled Buell :) . Im not after belt shredding HP just a nice smooth map. I had hoped to commence battle this week end and rotate engine to remove headers.Unfortunately after a post xmas works do I spent Sunday sitting quietly in a dark room with a cold flannel on me head clinging desperately to a platic bowl. However I have been good and studied the forums but just have a few pre tune questions.
1:As I would like a gauge to stare at should I use the INNOVATE MTX-L: Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge or the
INNOVATE LED WIDEBAND AFR GAUGE KIT LC-2 LC-1 controller +O2 SENSOR
2: what is the preferred position of the bungs front and rear can they both be welded nearer to the collector pipe as shown in the ecmspy tuning guide or both kept nearer to the heads.
3:I have older version ecmspy v 1.12.26 If I update to monospy how exactly does it make it easier to tune in regards to lambda readings. vs AFR for the various zones does it not require ve analyser to change maps.
I have spy cable/dongle very old Eee netbook and can use friends smartphone with ecmdroid. Wish me luck :headbang:

Post subject: Re: Ulytuning
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016 14:44 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
1. I've got LC-1s with DB gauges
2. Bungs are best as close to the cylinder head as possible to reduce lag and effect of interaction of gas from the other cylinder. The pic in the tuning guide is of useless' headers, he found interaction between cylinders.
3. MonoSpy allows you to log two LC-1s with the rest of the data

Interesting that you are getting interested as so too am I again. Ignition timing is something to look at too, I want to correlate the effect of advance on injector pulse width in closed loop steady state and also at the famous unusable 2500-3000rpm. Within the next few weeks I will have some interesting stuff to share :mrgreen:

I have a set of spare headers with bungs already in, I made it for my 2010 Uly but have since sold it. UKBEG owns a set for 2002-2007 XB9s and a set for 2008-2009 XB12s..,

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016 17:23 

pash wrote:
1. I've got LC-1s with DB gauges
2. Bungs are best as close to the cylinder head as possible to reduce lag and effect of interaction of gas from the other cylinder. The pic in the tuning guide is of useless' headers, he found interaction between cylinders.
3. MonoSpy allows you to log two LC-1s with the rest of the data

Interesting that you are getting interested as so too am I again. Ignition timing is something to look at too, I want to correlate the effect of advance on injector pulse width in closed loop steady state and also at the famous unusable 2500-3000rpm. Within the next few weeks I will have some interesting stuff to share :mrgreen:

I have a set of spare headers with bungs already in, I made it for my 2010 Uly but have since sold it. UKBEG owns a set for 2002-2007 XB9s and a set for 2008-2009 XB12s..,

06 uly with fettled maps+ race timing with 7&5 F/R Idle.Stable AFV so far?
I did have a brief play with ignition timing in the 1900rpm/20 tps area as well. As I made my own exhaust muffler and laughed in the face of volumetric efficiency I probably moved the famous unusable 2500-3000rpm to this area :oooops: (should have gone to uncle Albert)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016 20:33 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
pash wrote:

Within the next few weeks I will have some interesting stuff to share :mrgreen:

:worthy: :4roz:

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016 15:47 

barney wrote:
pash wrote:

Within the next few weeks I will have some interesting stuff to share :mrgreen:

:worthy: :4roz:

Unlike myself.
Things going well 1:engine rotated 2:headers removed 3:throttle body removed(new seals).
Things going not so well 1:bike fell off paddock stand trying to crack isolator bolt it finally went with a bang as it was just twisting in the bush.2:lucky for the bike it fell on me (ouch!)3:engine fell off stand trying to get the headers out. (they could be bent from somewhere in its murky past as there is surface damage which has been dressed up)Questions1:Is it normal to have to force headers out and have to lever them back in as they don't line up which ever way you try to refit them.Do you think they are bent.2:What size stainless O2 bung do I kneed for bosch w/band sensor.
3:What are the female/male O2 conectors called, can I get them. Is called a weathershield?4:Is it safe to send w/band voltage back to ecm if you change the speed/settings with Lc1/2 controller.Thanks for your help

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016 17:00 
proff. patpending

You shouldn't have to force the headers, assuming you have rotated the engine sufficiently.

I think I bought my Delphi Weatherpack connectors on eBay

You can use 0-5V inputs to the ECM on unused channels or the dedicated inputs on the DDFI3 ECM. If you want to use a pseudo narrow band, it needs to be a 0-1 step otherwise you will get faults. You can of course disable the O2 sensor and use it to log a 0-5V input.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016 17:17 

pash wrote:
You shouldn't have to force the headers, assuming you have rotated the engine sufficiently.

I think I bought my Delphi Weatherpack connectors on eBay

You can use 0-5V inputs to the ECM on unused channels or the dedicated inputs on the DDFI3 ECM. If you want to use a pseudo narrow band, it needs to be a 0-1 step otherwise you will get faults. You can of course disable the O2 sensor and use it to log a 0-5V input.

Thanks pash I think I rotated engine sufficiently when it fell off the jack. I am intending to disable o2 sensor and log a 0-5v input with the aim of 2maps 1: complete open loop map corrections off 2:closed loop learn map all corrections on, as I have DDFI2 it should be easier to accomplish ?.Then eventually run it with w/band o2 simulated n/b at rear :D

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016 12:06 
proff. patpending

In between tidying up the garage, making tea trays and playing Hondas, I made a dash for my O2 sensors to monitor the front and rear exhaust oxygen concentration on the Uly, particularly at cruise. Sure, you can log data and look at it later, but this is for the now.

I am using the Innovate gauges that take in an analogue signal off the LC-1 interface (yes the garage is a mess).

Note the cups, made from a modified 50mm PVC cap. I still need to sort the wiring out...

And from the rider's view.

Thanks to Ursus Loxton for getting me the Ram Mount stuff...

Just need some nice weather now...

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016 12:41 

And from the rider's view.

Is that a :maz: mod?
Who said men cant multi-task!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2016 18:40 

All going well,engine is now back where it belongs with W/Band+Gauge albeit 1 cylinder only.Starts well and nice idle when warm with good AFR at tick-over.I took the bike out for a gentle run to see what the front cylinder was showing on the gauge. No stuttering or stumbling and felt good,but at light throttle and cruise im getting between 16-18AFR.Throttler off and I get low 13,s. I have increased open loop enrichment to 110 and when I opened her up a couple of times I was getting 13.5-13.8 looks like the base map is well out with my set-up.The N/Band is still connected to the rear cylinder and ecu.
Question 1. Should I increase front fuel map by 5% for safety as im not quite ready for logging yet( :oooops: I haven,t figured it out yet)Hopefully Pash will come along with gentle encouragement :) In the meantime im gonna read ulytune again.

Attachments:
017.jpg
017.jpg [ 383.09 KiB | Viewed 1780 times ]
019.jpg
019.jpg [ 381.67 KiB | Viewed 1780 times ]
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2016 20:20 
proff. patpending

If it was me, I would be running lean at cruise with an an advance to suit. At WOT I would be aiming for 12.5 with an advance to suit.

I would also turn the noise abatement logic off and maybe tinker with the acceleration enrichment.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016 14:10 

Thanks for the good advice there pash. I was really pleased with how the bike ran generally,it just goes to show what a difference changing those manifold seals can make.Did the hard tps reset and new coil leads (every little helps) as well.Im not going to worry about afr at minute as ive wacked the accel revs up to 5 and turned the white wire off.The next stage, im gonna invest in monospy so I can record lambda readings and nail that closed loop area.As regards advance I think we are all waiting to see what magic you come up with :worthy: (Knowledge is Horsepower)

PostPosted: 10 May 2016 13:45 

Hi everyone, couple more questions as progress moves gently on.
1-How do you set up megalogviewer to work with Buell log files
under the OPTIONS tab.
2- Do I set default AFR table to 14.7 all over (while I adjust closed loop area of maps)
3- If above fails :oooops: and I adjust cells manually would I change an ego value of 0.96
by -4% and say 1.02 by +2%
4- Does anybody have a file link to keep the PDA screen on while logging as I cant get a link off the spy web-site to work :oooops:
Thanks for help

PostPosted: 10 May 2016 15:40 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
Do not use MLV for tuning, it's a waste of time and fuel. Better follow instructions from the tuning guide, available here and here, and make use of the dynamic maps. MLV is a fantastic tool for watching logs, but not well suited for tuning.

PostPosted: 10 May 2016 15:43 
proff. patpending

I think the answers you want are all in the tuning guide V2.

Let me know if not.