It is currently 29 Mar 2024 10:51

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lowering a supermoto
PostPosted: 06 May 2009 19:04 
Thought I'd post this again in the hope that the suppliers of platform boot photos aren't intelligent to have worked their way through the registration process for the new site yet. So a window of opportunity for some sensible replies.

I'm thinking of selling my beloved '08 Scg as I really liked riding the KTM 690 SMR.

However, due to the seat height of the KTM (I'm 5'6") I can only just touch the tips of the front of my shoes down together. I can get the ball of one foot down at a time.

My question is - based on the fact that the KTM is very light, should I just give it a go? Or should I get it lowered?

I don't believe there is a lowering link available and the advice from a fairly well known racer who owns the dealership (really nice guy) is to drop the yokes down the front forks 10-12mm, then if necessary also put a small spacer in the rear shock.

Views anyone?

Post subject: Re: Lowering a supermoto
PostPosted: 06 May 2009 21:14 
well the seat on that model seems to have quite thin padding, but i'm sure you could trim an inch out of it. the platform boots did have a serious angle, my mate is only 5' 2" and rides a harley hugger, he swears by israeli paratrooper boots which have a cushioned sole about 3/4" thick (google 'em) only downside is they're a horrible oxblood colour, still you could dye 'em!
what's that it says on the home page about having a sense of humour? no piss take intended old fellow!.... :D :D

PostPosted: 06 May 2009 21:26 
http://www.zahal.org/gear/p3.htm
there ya go, just scroll down a bit!... :D

PostPosted: 06 May 2009 21:42 

Current ride: 2000 M2
cloudbreaker wrote:
Thought I'd post this again in the hope that the suppliers of platform boot photos aren't intelligent to have worked their way through the registration process for the new site yet. So a window of opportunity for some sensible replies.

I'm thinking of selling my beloved '08 Scg as I really liked riding the KTM 690 SMR.

However, due to the seat height of the KTM (I'm 5'6") I can only just touch the tips of the front of my shoes down together. I can get the ball of one foot down at a time.

My question is - based on the fact that the KTM is very light, should I just give it a go? Or should I get it lowered?

I don't believe there is a lowering link available and the advice from a fairly well known racer who owns the dealership (really nice guy) is to drop the yokes down the front forks 10-12mm, then if necessary also put a small spacer in the rear shock.

Views anyone?
if its just links as in flat plates as in most jap bikes i can cut new ones on water jet to get the ride hight you need.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009 23:22 
Site Admin

Quote:
my mate is only 5' 2" and rides a harley hugger,

Not called Jono by any chance ? :lol:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 06 May 2009 23:39 
er, no and no!..... :D

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 01:07 
pontiusxbazooka wrote:
what's that it says on the home page about having a sense of humour? no piss take intended old fellow!.... :D :D

Aargh, you got here quick!
Perhaps I'm takin' the piss a bit too you know? :-)

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 08:10 
fair enough cloudy!... :yup: :D

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 08:27 
The footwear thingy doesn't cut it with me as I psychologically (if not actually) need to be able to jump on my bike in whatever I happen to be wearing. In fact probably actually as well actually.

I'm thinking of just going ahead and leaving the KTM tall. It is pretty light after all.

Probably the thrust of what I'm trying to find out is whether forks and yokes are designed in the expectation that they'll be repositioned relative to one another.

PostPosted: 09 May 2009 06:51 
dropping the forks through the yolks will help,but the best theing to do is to have them lowered properly,give this guy a call,DR Shox he's a Kiwi and is very good he can tell what can be done the numbers for him are from july 06 TBM so hope they are still current 01206233444/07971447085 or drshox.co.uk

PostPosted: 09 May 2009 07:17 
retromlc wrote:
dropping the forks through the yolks will help,but the best theing to do is to have them lowered properly,give this guy a call,DR Shox he's a Kiwi and is very good he can tell what can be done the numbers for him are from july 06 TBM so hope they are still current 01206233444/07971447085 or drshox.co.uk

Thanks a lot for this.
CB