It is currently 28 Mar 2024 12:54

All times are UTC

Post subject: unseen corrosion - by me
PostPosted: 06 May 2009 22:47 
I am at 19,300 miles the Uly started missing a bit here and there decided to start the 20K service a bit early
ps not done any of this before only changed oil - Riders Bristol have done the work

Change plugs - got some off :maz: thanks problem could not get the socket on them because of corrosion - managed to remove and fit new could not believe how rusty they were

thought then do TPS reset before doing timing - idle adjust cable shears off - rusted out

I apply fs435 anti corrosion every time I have been out - wish I had chechecked these boys and greased accordingly

the 20K goes on

Mark

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 19:03 
Quote:
Change plugs - got some off thanks problem could not get the socket on them because of corrosion - managed to remove and fit new could not believe how rusty they were

My front one was quite bad at 9.8K but came out ok. The rear one was clean though.

PostPosted: 09 May 2009 17:45 
Idle cable is a problem as I've found out, due to wear on the header. A design fault I think :(

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ ... C00637.jpg

PostPosted: 09 May 2009 18:46 
Grill
mine was similar but had rusted thro as well. It was a right sod to get out finished up using a small socket and bar and plenty of duck oil. New one now fitted thanks for sending :maz:

Went out for test ride this morning IT WAS SUPERB :D

Mark

PostPosted: 09 May 2009 18:54 
Mine is the same. I am going to mod it to stop any future problems.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009 14:33 
markp wrote:
Grill
mine was similar but had rusted thro as well. It was a right sod to get out finished up using a small socket and bar and plenty of duck oil. New one now fitted thanks for sending :maz:

Went out for test ride this morning IT WAS SUPERB :D

Mark

Mark,

What was the proccedure as I'm thinking of changing mine.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ ... C00637.jpg

PostPosted: 10 May 2009 15:33 
on mine the cable had rusted where yours is wearing thro' this is where mine broke.
first I removed the coil - I then used mole grips on the end of the broken cable to unscrew however the cable then broke at the joint where it connects to the screw. Luckily I then used a small imperial socket and ratchet to remove the screw, the socket fitted on the crimped end :D - had to use quite a bit of duck oil as well
Ordered new adjuster and spring from :maz:
Fitted new and heavily greased it - I will be keeping my eye on it now

HTH

Mark

PostPosted: 10 May 2009 16:03 
Many thanks Mark for a comprehensive run down.

I'll keep an eye on mine for now but will replace it before the end of summer.

I may sheath the new one with some thick rubber tube or silicone tube and blob some high temp grease on the top of the engine.

Second thoughts, no grease but I'll suspend the cable using good cable ties so it lifts the cable of the top of the engine by 5mm.

Cheers,

Phil.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009 17:00 
Grill
I greased the screw not the cable :D

Mark