Last visit was: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:04 am It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:04 am

All times are UTC+01:00




 [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: S1 fork seals
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Upton, Dorset
Hi all
I need to replace the fork seals on my 98 S1, does any one know of a kit that contaning Slider Retaining Cap, Copper Crush Washer and the seals?

Also were would be the best place to get the kit or items on there own? And is there a perfered make of fork oil?

Thanks for any help


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: S1 fork seals
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 10:42 pm
Posts: 2115
Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
Location: Montauk
and don't forget to check wear of the teflon coating on the bushings - may need replacing as well.
HD-USA has S1 fork seals back-ordered. Maz'll have em, if you fancy a trip to the Emporium. I thought I saw some options on another fork/suspension site, either Traxxion or RaceTech.
HTH.

_________________
2006 XB12Ss..... 1998 S1W..... 1996 S2T
We do not need the help of our friends so much as confidence that they will help us when we need it. –Epicurus


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: S1 fork seals
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 12:58 pm
Posts: 596
Motorrad wrote:
and don't forget to check wear of the teflon coating on the bushings - may need replacing as well.
HD-USA has S1 fork seals back-ordered. Maz'll have em, if you fancy a trip to the Emporium. I thought I saw some options on another fork/suspension site, either Traxxion or RaceTech.
HTH.

:yt:

I don't normally buy HD bearings, cause the stuff I've been given is shite, apart from the prices they charge. The same for all the other bikes I've had. I've started to do the same for seals and just go to a dedicated vendor of seals. Then I can chose the quality and spec myself. Not done it with fork seals yet. Anyone have any experience? Hydraulic seals should be alright, shouldn't they, as long as they are the same spec?

_________________
Illegitimi non carborundum


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: S1 fork seals
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 pm
Posts: 8124
Current ride: Buell X1 2001
Location: southampton
Talk to Tubbs at moorespeed in Poole

_________________
Obey the principles without being bound by them.
Bruce Lee


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: S1 fork seals
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Upton, Dorset
I’ve finely replaced the seals but on removing Slider Retaining Cap it cracked and getting new one was almost imposable, so i was left looking at buying a new set of forks!
If any one else needs to replaces there fork seals the 'Slider Retaining Cap' are very easy to brake so it may be a good idea to get some before starting the job, unlike me.

I looked everywhere for them - HD in UK, HD in US, Tubbs, Maz, with no luck. i could only find them on one web site in the US so for your Ref. http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/6161.html

I also made a tool to fit them back in without cracking them, if any one to know about the tool PM me.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: S1 fork seals
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:41 pm
Posts: 1208
Current ride: Mojo
Location: Wetherbyshire
jelly wrote:
I’ve finely replaced the seals but on removing Slider Retaining Cap it cracked and getting new one was almost imposable, so i was left looking at buying a new set of forks!
If any one else needs to replaces there fork seals the 'Slider Retaining Cap' are very easy to brake so it may be a good idea to get some before starting the job, unlike me.

I looked everywhere for them - HD in UK, HD in US, Tubbs, Maz, with no luck. i could only find them on one web site in the US so for your Ref. http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/6161.html

I also made a tool to fit them back in without cracking them, if any one to know about the tool PM me.


I let Maz do mine for me. No headaches and very reasonable cost. :yup:

_________________
In a purple fug


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: S1 fork seals
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:11 pm 
Offline
proff. patpending
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 8:20 pm
Posts: 14171
Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Location: Bristol - Gateway to all things good
Let me know if you still need some (Maz has stock too).

_________________
08 Specialized Langster


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: S1 fork seals
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:05 pm
Posts: 794
Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
Location: Sunny Suffolk
Bit of a bump there Mr P

_________________
Today my pet mouse Elvis died :cry: ..................He was caught in a trap


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: S1 fork seals
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 pm
Posts: 11454
Location: Oswestry
mich wrote:
Motorrad wrote:
and don't forget to check wear of the teflon coating on the bushings - may need replacing as well.
HD-USA has S1 fork seals back-ordered. Maz'll have em, if you fancy a trip to the Emporium. I thought I saw some options on another fork/suspension site, either Traxxion or RaceTech.
HTH.

:yt:

I don't normally buy HD bearings, cause the stuff I've been given is shite, apart from the prices they charge. The same for all the other bikes I've had. I've started to do the same for seals and just go to a dedicated vendor of seals. Then I can chose the quality and spec myself. Not done it with fork seals yet. Anyone have any experience? Hydraulic seals should be alright, shouldn't they, as long as they are the same spec?


I've used rotary shaft seals on dirt bikes before, but they're treated as a consumable and probably not ideal. Proper fork seals sometimes have a double lip.

_________________
If your dreams don't scare you, they are not big enough.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: S1 fork seals
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:24 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 pm
Posts: 11454
Location: Oswestry
Lucky wrote:
jelly wrote:
I’ve finely replaced the seals but on removing Slider Retaining Cap it cracked and getting new one was almost imposable, so i was left looking at buying a new set of forks!
If any one else needs to replaces there fork seals the 'Slider Retaining Cap' are very easy to brake so it may be a good idea to get some before starting the job, unlike me.

I looked everywhere for them - HD in UK, HD in US, Tubbs, Maz, with no luck. i could only find them on one web site in the US so for your Ref. http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/6161.html

I also made a tool to fit them back in without cracking them, if any one to know about the tool PM me.


I let Maz do mine for me. No headaches and very reasonable cost. :yup:


That's probably a good idea. I spent the best part of a day turning up a fork seal driver slide hammer and making a damper rod bleeding tool (ok, I know you can use a bit of wire or a tie wrap) on a new track bike I'm building, to save £50 buying them. If you take them to Maz, he'll do it while you wait and they're done right 8-)

_________________
If your dreams don't scare you, they are not big enough.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: S1 fork seals
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:28 pm
Posts: 7096
Current ride: Muffin 2001 X1
Graeme1203 wrote:
Bit of a bump there Mr P

:yt: have we moved into a parallel universe :D

_________________
2001 X1 2009 1125CR 2006 Uly oh and some Chinese/German hybrid


Top
   
 
 [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited