It is currently 28 Mar 2024 23:36

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 18:27 

Current ride: 08 Uly
Hello all. Just back from my Uly's 1st service and the cluth biting point has changed - it's now further out from the bar, which I'm not so keen on. Previously the clutch would start to bite almost as soon as the lever started to move away from the bar. Now it seems to be around half way out along the full length of travel. This makes it harder to use smoothly in stop/start traffic.

Had a look in the owner's manual, but it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I have found a recent thread in the old technical forum which talks about adjustment and it doesn't sound straightforward to me (non-spannering type, I confess).

Couple of questions :

1) Where on the lever's travel should the clutch begin to bite, or is this a preference thing?

2) I notice there's a little switch attached to the lever - what's that for?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 18:35 
The Nagged Hubby

If the bike won't start till the lever is pulled in then thats what the micro switch is for.
You have to slide the rubber boot/sheath to expose the adjuster and lock nut. slacen the lock nut and adjuster till the lever is doing nothing to the clutch. Then remove the cover on the primery chain case to reveal the small screw that adjust the play onto the clutch pressure plate. Screw in till resistance and then back of about an 1/8 of a turn and rebuild. Adjust the cable adjuster and try it out. If not happy repeat the process till happy.
You will not need to move the small screw very much, normal that.
If I screwed up someone point it out!

Nate.

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 22:36 

Current ride: m2/xbr/xbx
before you play withscrew on clutch lift rubber gater on clutch cable and adjust so lots of play at lever then adjust screw rebiuld and adjust play at lever on cable

FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF DARK

PostPosted: 30 May 2009 20:17 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
Definitely a preference thing I think ... and make sure you cable tie the rubber gaiter top and bottom again once you have finished to stop water ingress

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2009 09:23 

Current ride: 08 Uly
Thanks for the replies. Either I'm being particularly dense (wouldn't be the first time), or my bike's different to yours. (It's an 09 XT).

Pics here : http://digg.com/u14WsP

No rubber gaiter that I can see. The third photo, taken from underneath, shows a flathead screw next to the cable stop. What will that adjust?

I'm thinking it's probably best to let the dealer sort it as I'm not happy with it like this and it was fine prior to service. Also noticed lever seems to be further from the bar in its resting position than before. Good thing it's an enjoyable route to the dealers and back. :)

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2009 16:34 

Current ride: Fatbob
Follow the cable & you should find a gaiter down by the front of the engine on the right hand side. Under this you will find the cable adjustment

If the clutch bites as soon as the lever moves away from the handlebar I would say you have too much free play & as the cable stretches you will suffer from clutch drag & have difficulty selecting 1st & finding neutral.
Not to mention shortening the life of your clutch as it won't be fully disegaged when you pull the lever.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2009 17:43 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
I've found it better to adjust the play on the nut inside the primary case rather than adjusting the cable, it makes it easier to pull the lever in :P