It is currently 20 Apr 2024 14:45

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 13:07 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Not necessarily bought the wrong bike, but maybe had false expectations of the effects of improvements...

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 15:23 
Mmmm why do people misunderstand me so much? Norm - you just seem argumentative all the time with me - don't know why?

Anyway, I say it like it is. If it's crap I will say so, if it's good likewise! I have NOT bought the wrong bike. I like this little beastie - it's fun and I actually like the sound now as it's grown on me! I have ridden a few Buells by now so I have a good idea what I want from mine. My experience is growing with these bikes and the general consensus is that if you upgrade any exhaust pipe it will needed a new fuel map and air filter to compensate to get the best out of it. I'm not saying I know it all, I don't, but I do listen to people and this is my conclusion so far.

I hope Bigkuri don't mind but here's a pm I received from him from the old forum concerning exhausts and his experiences...

Hi there Paul,
Yep - I had just about all the exhausts and options on my Uly at some point!!
The post 2008 models all have restrictive headers for noise and emission level reasons. It has a negative impact on the bike running - big time.
Opening up the exhaust can through a tubbs mod, or just buying an aftermarket can will help a little, but only say 20%. The headers are where you will get most improvement, say 50%. The final 30% is from fitting a TFi unit of some sort. I had the FreeSpirits one which was good, but have heard better things about the other TFi model (name escapes me - the dyno jet one?).

I first went with a tubbs mod, which gave a little improvement. Then the micron serpent full system, and i LOVED it. But it is stupidily loud, needs ear plugs for even going down to the shops, and is illegal on race tracks - so it had to go.
Then tried the pre-2008 headers and another tubbs exhaust, which was quiet, but nothing special.
Finally went to the FreeSpirits reverso and 45mm tuned headers which were the best of all worlds. Not as much top end grunt as the micron, and not as loud, but pretty much as good as you can get. Bloody expensive though. I also had trouble with some cracks in the FreeSpirits headers - which they fixed no worries, but it did mean dropping the engine yet again to send it off, and then re-fit, so was a right PITA.

If you have the money, then you cannot go pass the FreeSpirits reverso and 45mm headers. If less money, then I'd recommend buying some fat pre-2008 headers on ebay and fitting either remus or a slip on FreeSpirits of some sort.

You do (IMHO) need to change the headers though, as they are rubbish, and especially in cold running you will have a horrible problem from bad idle, fouled plugs with cold running, lack of power, etc. On the same dyno my real wheel bhp went from 86 stock, 91 tubbs, and just over 100 with TFi and FS full system.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 15:35 

Mmmm why do people misunderstand me so much? Norm - you just seem argumentative all the time with me - don't know why?

Oh no he's not :lol: :lol: .............. ;) :uhoh:

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 16:07 
ph4824 wrote:
Helmet not much better either!

So anyway, no-one's asked yet, has the swelling gone down yet?

I'm in touch with Matt as he's having difficulties getting logged into the new site.

Watch this space....

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 16:10 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
I reset his account a few days ago!

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 08:18 

Current ride: Mojo
ph4824 wrote:

Sometimes you have to look through the shallow veneer...........

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 21:22 
It would be good for Trojen to come on and offer some info on this? He might get a sale out of me! I'm just holding back until I know some more before spending another £200+

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 21:34 

ph4824 wrote:
It would be good for Trojen to come on and offer some info on this? He might get a sale out of me! I'm just holding back until I know some more before spending another £200+

Do you own a telephone :?: :idea:

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 21:48 

Current ride: 2000 M2
5 rwhp up on stock from my mod alone :yup: pound for pound thats darn good i would say.
where do you want your power :?: i would trade 5 rwhp at the top for 5 rwhp more in the mid range, would you not.

:couch:

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 21:56 

tubbs wrote:
5 rwhp up on stock from my mod alone :yup: pound for pound thats darn good i would say.
where do you want your power :?: i would trade 5 rwhp at the top for 5 rwhp more in the mid range, would you not.

What mod's this - the can?

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 22:23 

Bungle wrote:
tubbs wrote:

What mod's this - the can?
yes

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 23:41 

I dunno where ive read it , it was on a US forum & i cant find it now but it seems that several peoples have mid range problems with an aftermarket can, the most successful results were with a modified stock can with the flap still operational?? IE Voodoo.
Does anyone know exactly what the flap does ?
Buell put it there for a reason, Fitting a can without it is bound to affect running.
Any thoughts?

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 06:28 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Big Ted wrote:
Buell put it there for a reason, Fitting a can without it is bound to affect running.
Any thoughts?

http://www.ukbeg.com/archive/modules.ph ... 4466#44466

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 08:40 

Big Ted wrote:
I dunno where ive read it , it was on a US forum & i cant find it now but it seems that several peoples have mid range problems with an aftermarket can, the most successful results were with a modified stock can with the flap still operational?? IE Voodoo.
Any thoughts?
not mine 8-)

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 09:13 

Big Ted wrote:

In theory, similar to the EXUP in Yams, it changes the back pressure to improve the mid-range torque. But...

Big Ted wrote:
Buell put it there for a reason

Noise emissions?

Big Ted wrote:
Fitting a can without it is bound to affect running.

Not necessarily. You could tune the headers and can to maximise performance where you want it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next