It is currently 18 Apr 2024 01:16

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010 01:18 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
Preface note to Pash: I didn't want to add this post to the breather re-route considerations in the How-To, but we can move it there if you think that's best.

As I received the bike, it's re-routed breather tubes run upward from the banjo bolts to a T just above the tops of the rocker covers, then a single hose runs toward the rear of the bike along a frame tube, and dumps out low, more or less in front of the rear tyre ( :shock: :roll: I know, but I can find a better place for the outlet once my main concern is worked out). My concern is that perhaps the banjos out of the rocker covers should be rotated 180 degrees, to run the lines downhill, so that oil and condensed splooge runs down and away, rather than having to be forced upward (where more cooling/condensation will occur), and probably running back down toward the breather bolt area.
Comments and advice from tuber owners? Would this not only help keep things clean, but also help the bike to breathe freer?

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010 17:06 

I am going to experiment with shorter, downward-facing breather tubes.

This is all part of addressing the oil leaks the bike has. I want to optimize breathing and address as many simple causes as I can so that the symptom (oil leaking) is minimized.

Here's the plan: In rocker covers, new umbrella valves, and chamfering out the valve hole to seat the valves better; opening up the oil drain hole to 1/8". Re-routed, down-facing vent tubing for fluids, with a breather filter for gases.

Then for the oil leak areas: de-grease/clean the engine, spray white powder stuff on it to ascertain leak areas. So far, the culprits are low (i.e., rocker gaskets are new and good). Oil is almost surely coming from primary gasket, shift shaft oil seal, probably from stator wire grommet, and if I'm really lucky, from the rear cylinder base gasket (the base gaskets look like new paper, but the line of oil is tricky, around behind rear cylinder, cylinder base, and billet pushrod tube base).

The small diameter crankcase vent tube that dumps out behind the battery is completely clear of any oil.

With the high mileage on the bike (around 60k), I will no doubt need to look at the crankshaft oil seal as well, and fit the updated, dual-lipped one.

Would really appreciate any advice, as I want to address the causes and clean the bike up.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010 17:31 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Fit XB rocker covers ...they have far superior breathers as standard then the breathers will be mounted right at the top of the engine.......no umbrella valves and no banjo bolts ;)

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010 17:44 

That is one option I am considering as well. The clearance between the rear cover and the fuel tank is too tight for the pcv valve on the standard xb rear cover, though, so I would have to order 2 front covers, and live with the pcv position on the rear not being at the tippy top. Prob'ly no big deal.

The breather situation is one possible cause for increased leaks; the age of the bike is another, although it has been apart enough times to have received new gaskets.
Tracking down the specific leak points will help, of course; I'd love it to be as simple as a blob of silicone to the inside of the stator wire grommet.... and hoping it's not the rear base gasket.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010 18:53 

Current ride: X1 Lightning 2001/02
I have XB front and rear rocker covers and pcv's on my S2 without encountering any clearance problems

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010 18:57 

Thanks, Whitey - I'll double-check that, then. I'm going off measuring the covers in place on my xb, and then looking at the S2. Not really precise!