It is currently 26 Apr 2024 06:13

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: BLOWN FUSES
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010 18:24 
The Nagged Hubby

Bloody ridiculous!

If a fuse blows there is a fault, a short or to low a capacity fuse are the only reasons a fuse should pop.

Roz, it is mad what they told you, if a mega meter shows no electrical leakage then possibly upping the fuse rate may help but first a mega meter needs to go on it.

Nate.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010 18:59 

Thanks Nate, that's kinda the lines I'm thinking along. Hubby's handy with a meter, he's an electronics engineer after all and wiring doesn't phase him but I'm thinking that you've gotta know where to start and if it's the fuel pump (which I believe you told me was in the frame, in the fuel tank) which it would appear to be then he hasn't got a hope in hell unless he takes the darn thing apart.
Or I make more of a fuss? Feeling at odds with it myself. Try it and see - or kick off about a (maybe) one off occurrence. Just don't want to try and see when it may go the second time...

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010 19:37 
The Nagged Hubby

Roz, I no electrical wizard but a friend is.

He has a what he calls a mega meter. This devise puts a very weak high voltage through a circuit and as volts is electrical pressure the high voltage will leak if there is a chance for it as in a chafed wire etc.

With connection unpluged and said meter running a test through the pump only any drop in the high voltage would indicate the known fault with the internal wiring on these pumps.

There is images about somewhere of the problem area but the special meter would help diagnose as to a need to remove the pump or not.

It just kills me how many "proffesionals" just don't have a clue!

A good auto elactrician should have one of these meters!

It's bad enough this problem still exists but for there to be "see how it goes" atitude just beggers belief!

Nate.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010 21:43 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Megas rock, we used to have them at college and used them as tazers!

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010 21:45 

Current ride: X1 2001
:evilh: those were the days

http://www.megohmmeterstore.com/crm_upl ... -color.pdf

:yup:

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010 22:12 
The Nagged Hubby

Thats them Nutty :yup:

I've been on the scroung for one o' them for years :(

N.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010 22:17 
If any fuse blows you should find out the cause before replacing it. In higher voltages it can become very dangerous.
For a fuse to blow there must be a fault fuses do not just blow on there own.
The megger meter is the best tool I use I love giving people a wack with it 1000v hurts more than you think.
Be very careful using it on your bike though they can easily damage any electronic equipment like the ECU.
Bloke at work managed to right off a £6k inverter buy using it wrong.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010 22:21 
The Nagged Hubby

losttyke wrote:
If any fuse blows you should find out the cause before replacing it. In higher voltages it can become very dangerous.
For a fuse to blow there must be a fault fuses do not just blow on there own.
The megger meter is the best tool I use I love giving people a wack with it 1000v hurts more than you think.
Be very careful using it on your bike though they can easily damage any electronic equipment like the ECU.
Bloke at work managed to right off a £6k inverter buy using it wrong.

I just said all that :roll: :clap: :hehe:

N.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010 22:29 
So you did. I just worded it differently. :coat:

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2010 09:46 

Sorry guys, I seem to have confused you. I know what a mega is. We have them at work for the engineers, Tone has one, and my Dad had one too. My question was that if the fuel pump is in the tank (ie the frame) we have no hope in hell of getting the mega on it without dismantling the bike.
Good as they are they need a point to test from and if only a mechanic can get to that point then us owning all the megas in the world aint gonna make a jot of difference to diagnosing the problem.
Sometimes the suck it and see method is a good'un ( ;) ) but in this case I think it's a crap theory. As Maz has said often, there's part replacers and then there's mechanics :sad1:

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2010 11:22 
proff. patpending

Here's the plan. Look at the manual. See what the fuse feeds. Check all wiring which feeds from the fuse for chaffing and shorts. Then, look at the units that use the power through that fuse, and start replacing them.

This is a safety issue. Next time it happens, you might get hurt.

Sorry to be blunt.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2010 11:40 

No blunt is fine.

Manual is useless. I only have the one the bike was sold with and it shows a pretty pic of the fuse box but not anything else. I know from what happened to the bike that it's the fuel pump that's the problem and from what others have said I can't access that without taking bike apart and as it's still under warranty I can't do that.

Plan of action has been to call Steve and ask him to speak to Jon about it. I agree, next time it may be worse than a blind bend uphill.

As I said before Tone is well used to electrics, the state of that RGV loom is worrying him none, but his hands are tied with the warranty issue and the fact that he knows little about Buells and I'm a tad overprotective cos of the paranoia you guys have instilled in me over the years ;)

All I really wanted was affirmation that my suspicions are right, it is unsafe to ride until we know what caused the short and I'm not just being girly. Cheers chaps xxxx :4roz:

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2010 11:45 
proff. patpending

Is it under warranty?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2010 11:55 

Yeah...

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2010 16:26 
The Nagged Hubby

Roz :yup: Sorry if I came over condesending about the mega, it certainly was not my intention.

I don't actually know but assume there is a connector for the pump wires to the main loom, if so and it is disconnected you would have a point for the mega. Just don't do the loom side.

If there is no connector, probing the wires with pins would be an option.

The danger aspect we can hyp up easy all be it a concern, I would not like to see any one lose fuel pressure at the wrong moment! Thats what makes me angry, the stupid couldn't care less attitude of supposedly proffesionals.

IIRC once diagnosed the point of the short on the pump is an easy fix once out. IIRC there is a single wire that rubs on some part and wares through it's casing and a simple sheath of sorts fixes it.

Pash has a fair point, we must not dismiss other parts of this circuit first!

Take care Roz and hello Tone :yup:

N.