It is currently 29 Mar 2024 07:16

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 22 May 2009 18:27 

Hello fellow Buellers,
My first post, as I've just became the proud owner of my first Buell, an 02 XB9R.
Early signs are good, and I'm getting to know it from a maintenance point of view.
Had a bit of an explore underneath the other day, but couldn't work out how to remove the airbox base to expose the top of the motor, there seems to be some sort of metal horseshoe clamp arrangement around the inlet stack underneath the airbox base which is bolted thru with 2 small allen bolts which look really awkward to get to.
Had a bit think and a stroke of the chin but couldn't phathom out how to get it off and why its made that way anyhow!!!
Any advice???

PostPosted: 22 May 2009 18:32 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
?? Sorry, but I don't get the question. Lift the airbox base, pull off the two breather hoses, unplug the IAT cable and then you get access to the two screws that hold the venturi stack.

And get a service manual. :maz: will surely have/get some.

PostPosted: 22 May 2009 18:51 

gunter wrote:
?? Sorry, but I don't get the question. Lift the airbox base, pull off the two breather hoses, unplug the IAT cable and then you get access to the two screws that hold the venturi stack.

And get a service manual. :maz: will surely have/get some.

Yeah mate, I'm sourcing a manual as we speak, Didnt want to pull too hard on the airbox base incase I split something, but the inlet stack seems to be a really tight fit in the airbox base assy. Ta for replying

PostPosted: 22 May 2009 19:27 

Current ride: Xb12Scg
if you have undone the 4 screws, the only thing holding it down will be the 'trumpet' it has a soft rubber flange and you should be able to pull it up. just watch for the wiring to the sensor.

PostPosted: 23 May 2009 12:27 

From the beginning.................

Remove four torx bolts holding on the coloured airbox cover.
Pull small rubber hose off fuel tank stub, lift out exhaust servo and its rubber 'block' (If still standard).
Unclip top half from lower half around the airbox exterior.
Lift out air filter.
Remove four Torx bolts from inners corners.
Lift lower cover up, let the intake flange pull though lower cover, carefully lift more, look underneath and unclip sensor plug and pull 2 rubber hoses (if still fitted), downwards out of the base.
You should now have the base in your hand. :) ;)

Replacement is the reverse of above. Just note how far the tubes are pulled through the base, usually about 25mm.
REMEMBER TO PLUG IN THE SENSOR!
Before you fasten the base down, pull both flange seal lips through the base, then push the top one around the edge with your finger, so just the lower lip pops back under. Easy to do. ;)

PostPosted: 23 May 2009 12:50 

Lands End wrote:
From the beginning.................

Remove four torx bolts holding on the coloured airbox cover.
Pull small rubber hose off fuel tank stub, lift out exhaust servo and its rubber 'block' (If still standard).
Unclip top half from lower half around the airbox exterior.
Lift out air filter.
Remove four Torx bolts from inners corners.
Lift lower cover up, let the intake flange pull though lower cover, carefully lift more, look underneath and unclip sensor plug and pull 2 rubber hoses (if still fitted), downwards out of the base.
You should now have the base in your hand. :) ;)

Replacement is the reverse of above. Just note how far the tubes are pulled through the base, usually about 25mm.
REMEMBER TO PLUG IN THE SENSOR!
Before you fasten the base down, pull both flange seal lips through the base, then push the top one around the edge with your finger, so just the lower lip pops back under. Easy to do. ;)

Ahh, now I see, Ta very much mate, My problem was the tightness of the fit of the venturi stack around the seal on the airbox lower, I thought it was one moulded piece cos it was so tight!! Ta for your help.

PostPosted: 23 May 2009 13:11 

I should say too, that as you lift the base up, you can poke the flange lips down through the hole. It' makes it easier! :lol: