It is currently 28 Mar 2024 08:18

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 10:24 

Hi there,

Just took my bike out to go for a run, turned the key and all's well - lights on, can here the usual whirr, dash looks good. Press the starter and I get a loud fast clicking noise (like a child doing an impression of a machine gun), there's no engine activity that I can tell, and when I release the starter the bike resets, as it does if you fail top turn it over properly on starting.

Any thoughts? Bad time to find out as garages are shut until Tuesday and it's my main form of transport. It was just in for a new rear tyre, but it made it home fine from that (that was the last time I rode it). Could it be just something that's come loose?

Any thoughts?

-- Dougal

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 10:35 

Battery issue. Check your terminals and get a charger.

The Ugly has an accessory socket, doesn't it? If you can't get near the mains, I got myself one of these a few months ago, works well in the truck.

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 11:02 
Norm wrote:

The Ugly has an accessory socket, doesn't it? If you can't get near the mains, I got myself one of these a few months ago, works well in the truck.

they're a bloody good idea, my mate has one connected to his S1, it's stood for months with him being the worlds number 1 fair weather biker, but it allways starts first time!... :app:

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 00:09 
Hi Dougal.

I have just had all this with my Uly.

HD say that the "state-of-charge" for a disconnected battery as - 12.7v is 100% down to 12v as 25%. Mine was 12.7v charged and still not right. Check the charge rate, with the engine running at 1000rpm or more, with ECM-Spy or a DC meter. It should be about 13.5v or more, so charging ok, but I found the neutral light was dimming so belive the battery was not taking a full charge.

Check the terminals. I would not try to start the bike to many times, if clicking, as I belive it could damage the starter. Also it could be the timing. If you have had hard starting in the past - IE A pause, on turnover, on hiting the starter button it could be that and/or a shagged battery.

For me it was a shagged battery and on the advise of :maz: I bought a OEM unit as he rates them. £98 inc VAT :roll: but it sorted the problem. It is a gel battery and none of them are cheap. A std acid type one is no good as the one on the Uly lies on its side.

I do not think you should fast charge a bike battery. I use 1 Amp, or less, auto control rate charger.

Quote:

The socket is ignition switched so it will not charge through it "key out". The solar panel and socket, in use, are not waterproof.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 09:49 

THE FLYING DUCHMAN wrote:
Quote:

The socket is ignition switched so it will not charge through it "key out". The solar panel and socket, in use, are not waterproof.

Ah, I didn't realise that the socket was ignition switched. The device I got has clamps so you could connect it straight to the battery, though, and it will still work through a plastic bag, if you wanted.

There could be all sorts of other issues with thievery and the like, and constant trickle charging might overcharge the battery. As with anything on here, don't rely exclusively on stuff posted on internet forums without doing a bit of your own research and making sure that you are happy with the solution because it's your bike that you are playing with.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 15:47 

Current ride: 08 Uly
Sounds like exactly what happened on my old Honda - was the battery. 20 mins on the trickle charger and all was well again.

The battery on the Uly looks pretty beefy. How long would you say it can sit without being connected to a trickle charger in these milder months? (just cos I'm lazy)

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 16:07 
I always use Accumate/Optimate type chargers which have permanent connectors to the battery for easy connection. On my old SZR, which wouldn't start if you left it more than 48hrs, I had a solar panel on the garage roof and connected directly to the battery when paredk via one of the charger's extension leads.

PostPosted: 23 May 2009 20:33 
ShakenNotStirred wrote:
Sounds like exactly what happened on my old Honda - was the battery. 20 mins on the trickle charger and all was well again.

The battery on the Uly looks pretty beefy. How long would you say it can sit without being connected to a trickle charger in these milder months? (just cos I'm lazy)

I did not use mine from Sept to Nov last year and it went flat. As is the way of things I do not recall what it was like before that but it was a problem after it went flat.

I also had a problem with my car battery, about the same time, so I did some research into the modern car/bike battery.

To cut a long story short. They do not like to go flat. The build is not the same as the old Lead acid type (an Eco thing) and the Gel type is the worst of all. The standing charge is 12.7v or more and the newer stuff is 13.5v. They like to be charging all the time.

The problem, I had, was old school thinking but that does not count anymore as the modern battery and charging system is, well, just modern ;)

PostPosted: 23 May 2009 21:54 
Mr. Tourettes

Norm wrote:

Thanks for the link Norm :worthy: