It is currently 24 Apr 2024 10:50

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 02:16 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
This problem is getting really annoying. The bike is stock except for breather re-route; just under 10,000 miles.

Symptoms: fully warmed up, running at 1/8 throttle or so anywhere from 2500rpm up to around 4000 (riding tonight, it was sputtering for as long as I held it at around 2500-2700 rpm, holding a steady, low throttle - could have kept it going like that the whole way home). It sputters/hesitates/misfires until I give it a good twist of the throttle.
One time when this happened as I was riding it, I got the Check Engine Light coming on, code 13: o2 sensor. It flashed intermittently on the next ride, but has not shown up again. ECMSpy showed no current or historical 02 sensor prob's.

Attempts (so far unsuccessful) to remedy:
1. Thought maybe the breather re-route work had messed up some wires, hoses, or other stuff under the airbox. Checked for pinched hoses, loose wires or connections. I didn't try just going back to stock breather setup, thinking it would be hard for that to have caused this kind of behavior/behaviour.
2. Checked for any chafing or anything on plug wires.
3. Checked that the plug for the vacuum port on the throttle body was still in place (covering the California emissions connection).
4. Pulled the 02 sensor wire up and farther away from the rear plug wire, even though it wasn't really up close against it (getting it away from elec. interference).
5. Pulled out the propane torch and checked for intake leaks down by manifold and injectors.
6. Changed plugs.
7. Did not pull battery to have it bench checked, but ECMspy shows good, solid voltage readings. On the other hand, at start-up, I usually get one tick-over, a pause, then the series of tickovers that start the bike. Worth pursuing more?
8. I don't disconnect anything to take airbox cover off, so those connections are intact (sensor wiring on underside, and exhaust throttle module on top).
9. Did TPS and AFV reset w/ ECMSpy.
10. Have gone through new, 93 octane gas twice.
11. I would like to diagnose the 02 sensor operation, but I don't know how. I could just replace it, but I would rather go through the voltage checks and other service manual flow chart items before. How can I do this with ECMSpy, or do I need other equipment?

What is going on with this otherwise rock-solid bike?!? Please help!

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 04:46 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
Log your ride.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 13:23 

I've never done that. How to?

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 16:47 

Connect to ecmspy, start logging and ride.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 17:09 

I'm new to ECMSpy, so please excuse the newbie questions. I figured that I would need to read the log after logging, so I have just downloaded Megalogviewer. I will of course have no friggin' clue as to what I am seeing vs. what I should be seeing.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 17:22 

You could attach the log to a post, so that those interested in watching it, get access to it.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 02:40 

Horrible, horrible test ride while logging. Roughest running yet, plus the Check Engine Light came back on during the ride.
TPS was off what I set it late last week. AFV had gone back up from 100 to 128. RPM's were off. Trouble Codes screen (attached) shows no current troubles, only historic ones - but I was looking at this screen while the bike's electrics were on, and the CEL was lit!
Here are the pages from ECMSpy, after logging today:
Attachment:
TroubleCodes051909.JPG

Attachment:
FuelMapFront051909.JPG

Attachment:
FuelMapRear051909.JPG

Attachment:
OverviewScreen051909.JPG

So trouble codes point to Engine Temp Sensor - Short to ground (14) and O2 Sensor - always runs lean.

I have made no changes whatsover to mapping. The bike is stock, but for the breather re-route. But obviously, I need to get the bike sorted out and running well before I even think of touching the fuel maps.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 04:49 

Could you attach the log file also?

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 06:13 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
That's a nice jug Gunter

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 12:54 

AFV shifting from 100 to 128 is not good. You said the tps is off, that could do it. A tps reset is a tps reset, it should never change in value, if it does, it was either done wrong one of the times or its failing, and the fuelling will be thrown out in more or less direct proportion, which would maybe explain your AFV going haywire and the other symptoms going on. Rear cylinder is starving for fuel, making the AFV go high. If the tps reset voltage is higher than it used to be when all was running well, then that would explain what is going on. Did you back off the idle adjuster till the butterfly "sticks" in the throttlebody when you last reset the tps?

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 14:33 

Gunter, which file is the log file? I have fuel maps saved and EEPROM saved, but can't attach these.
I don't know why the trouble codes 13 and 14 show up as historic when the CEL is lit, and these are both problems that could cause the kind of problems the bike is having.

As to the tps reset, yes, I don't like that it has shifted since last week! I triple-checked the zero, bottomed out butterfly position when re-setting - I should probably do a hard reset, and clean the throttle body while I'm at it, since I did the breather re-route to avoid any further gumming up of the works.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 16:02 

The name of the logfile is shown in the right of the status bar when you start and stop logging. The path is usually c:\program files\ecmspy\megalog

A historic error is an error, that's not present any more, but had occured since last startup. It will be moved to the stored errors and cleared (as a historic error) when ignition is switched off.

If TPS is changing, the question is how much. Many TPS change, because the least significant bit is flapping. This is very common for A/D conversion and also a result of the 10bit to 8bit conversion. That's of no real impact on fuel or whatever. Trouble code 13 or 14 is not enough, as every trouble code covers two, sometimes three, different errors. It does make a difference if it's O2 always lean or O2 always rich - which is both covered by the same error code.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 16:39 

It says on the trouble code screen I posted from yesterday code 13: o2 sensor always lean... which, as Useless wrote, would push the AFV up above 100 (was at 128 yesterday). The code 14 is ET sensor short to ground. TP up from 4.6deg/5.1% up to 5.5/6.3.

There is nothing in the ECMSpy/megalog folder; I don't know if I missed doing something that would have saved the megalog.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 17:16 

You have to enable megalog format in the program preferences and start logging once the monitoring is active.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 22:08 

i would change the intake seals,

trust me there leaking,

try with a little spray off brake cleaner right side scoop removed.
on the front and rear intake flange.

the gas trick like in the book most off the times dose nothing,
ore hardly noticheble.

please, basics first before hacking ecm's

gr, BUD