It is currently 19 Apr 2024 05:52

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009 21:31 

hello, is there any known faults with the indicator on xbx. with bars straight ahead and i put right indicator on it flashes double speed and the rear dosent work. turn the bars to the left and both work fine. gonna strip it tomorrow night and look. thanks

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009 21:39 
Sounds like an earth fault some place.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009 08:10 

Current ride: BMW F900 XR
Check the wiring loom where it runs around the steering head. I've had this a couple of times.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009 11:15 

In the picture below I have shown a repair to the instrument panel back-up supply line on my '06 12X but to the right of that is a splice with four brown wires. The single wire heading back to the rear of the bike is the rear R/H blinker. That splice is covered with glue-filled heat-shrink and can hold the wires in place with an internal electrical break.
When I repaired this I moved the join about 1 inch closer to the instruments and the join in the wire going to the rear a couple of inches past the loom-guide to get any joins away from the loom-guide area.
That repair has held up for 46,000km so seems to be a reasonable approach.

Of course this may not be your specific fault but now you know where this splice is you can do some more focussed fault-finding.
The three wires heading up towards the instruments go to the blinker switch, the instrument panel and the front R/H blinker.
The symptom you have indicates a fault with either the rear R/H blinker power from this splice back to the rear blinker or the rear R/H blinker ground wire. Given the ground goes to one of the earth points under the seat my money would be on the power wire at that splice.

1942WM20