It is currently 28 Mar 2024 12:22

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2019 18:16 

Current ride: XB12XT
The previous owner of my bike completely removed the exhaust control cable; I am refitting the OE exhaust so I need to confirm that my routing is OK.

The factory manual states that the cable should be routed through a clip in the rear left corner of the engine/tank area of the frame. I have achieved this (after many hours!) - see photo from the left side above the primary case; the cable emerging and drooping down before routing across the back of the engine

The exact routing across the back of the engine to the other side of the bike is the problem - I cannot find exact information anywhere. I have run the cable rearwards from photo 1, across the boss at the top of the primary case (looks a bit tight) and then to the other side of the bike across the back of the engine case. The white arrow shows the route from photo 1, then the cable runs directly away from the point of the arrow "into" the photo (i.e. across the back of the engine, just in front of the rear engine stabiliser link).

and finally....it emerges across the 2 silver conduits, just in front of the rear stabiliser link (on the left), sorry for the blurry photo and rusty belt pulley!

The final routing to the muffler is shown in the manual so I'm OK there.

Please can someone confirm that I have got it right. before I fit the muffler?

Thanks all,

A

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2019 18:34 
Site Admin

It follows the gearbox breather line.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2019 18:41 

Maz,

Thanks for the prompt reply, (EDIT) - that puts it in front of the crossmember, very near the rear cylinder fins - is there a reason NOT to go behind the crossmember as I have it at the moment, as long as I keep it away from the stabiliser?

Sorry for the dumb question!

A

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2019 22:17 

Answering my own question!

No, you cannot route the cable behind the crossmember - it has to follow the gearbox breather and 2 silver conduits across the bike IN FRONT of the crossmember. Otherwise it is too short to reach the muffler properly.

You can route it behind the breather and cable conduits to keep it away from the rear cylinder fins.

Maz is right, again! :maz:

Now to torque up and start up!

A

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019 09:11 

Current ride: X1 2001
:yup: 8-)