It is currently 25 Apr 2024 13:09

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018 14:52 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hi Folks,

Stainless bolts & highlighted logo. Just a bit of tarting.
Don't know if I should mention bolt sizes, but stainless bolts believe it or not are metric.
Size for anyone who is interested are 8mm by 45mm with 1mm washers.
Thanks Paul.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018 15:15 
Site Admin

Pretty much the whole bike is metric.
Stainless bolts in a caliper = big no no !

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018 01:10 

Hi Maz.

Yes mainly Metric apart from the wheels & some of the frame fixings.

Yeah Science definitely backs you up on that stainless statement.

Did you like the polished ZTL2?

I think that looks great as well as the stainless bolts.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018 10:59 

Hi Maz,

Stainless bolts when used for clamping joints are far less likely fail than they are if used in situations with Impact shock & can work harden in those situations which I'm sure is probably why you were warning me.

Despite this work hardening via impact stress, My Triumph 955i Daytona also had them utilised in the modified rear suspension linkage I used on it. This linkage was produced by a bloke who was racing his 955i & both he & myself never had a problem with the stainless bolts used in them which were longer 70mm & 100mm X 12mm. His bike probably stressed them a lot more in a couple of races than I ever did on the road.

The stresses in the caliper are more likely to cause "Creep" with the threads, fortunately I have a strict maintenance routine as I'm sure most people have & I can't stop myself looking round my bike every time I go in the garage. So if "creep" occurs, I will see bleeding of the fluid long before any failure occurs.

I also have the confidence created by various experiences of having used these same bolts sometimes shorter 40mm & 30mm, over the past 25 years, in let me list them for you.

A 1975 Half race Norman Hyde 1000cc Triumph T160, (Featured in Classic Bike Guide No. 50) & winner of the Concours section at some cavalcade up near Harrogate, This had stainless throughout also including rear shocks, Front brake fixings & caliper fixings, rear torque brake bar etc, I owned this for 12 years. No Failures of stainless bolts.
The following all had the same treatment stainless bolts throughout. A Yamaha TRX 850, A Yamaha FJ 1200, A Suzuki SV 1000, Two Suzuki Bandit 1200's, Three Triumph 955i's all which I had for a fair few years without one single failure of one of these stainless bolts. Finally My Buell.

Now I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has experienced any failing of stainless bolts in any of these fixings? If so how did they fail, was it creep or did they shear? No science please I've read loads about this subject, I'm simply interested if anyone has experience of a failure of stainless bolts in calipers that will back up the science that Maz is obviously referring to.

By the way anyone thinking of fitting these in their calipers, I would recommend adding them to your maintenance schedule & change them if you see any signs of bleeding, but like I said I've never had to change one ever.

And finally, they look great. Call me lucky, or reckless I don't Care.

All the best Paul

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2018 14:20 

Oh Lordy,

How can this be possible, surely they'll snap as they're in high impact areas, worse than the brake caliper & it's creep issues, Jesus, they're on the caliper mount bolts as well.

Experience in my case though, (which I personally prefer to cliche's) goes against the scientific evidence regarding stainless bolts & their properties of which I have read extensively .

These are 3/8ths by the way 1 1/4 on the sprocket 1" on the disc, remember to put them on your maintenance list folks. They look far better than the shit ones that were in there to boot.

By the Maz, I'm still waiting on your explanation of why you said my Remus was shite, I did ask & give you pretty specific options, you must've forgotten eh?

Before anyone has a go at me for being confrontational or pissing anyone off, this is a forum & I'm making valid points about my 1125r & it's fixings. There is nothing personal here I'm just after answers from an opinions made about my choice of upgrades.

All the best folks.

Attachments:
Shocker.jpg
Shocker.jpg [ 570.29 KiB | Viewed 1241 times ]
Sprocket.jpg
Sprocket.jpg [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 1241 times ]
Rear Brake.jpg
Rear Brake.jpg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 1241 times ]