It is currently 29 Mar 2024 01:31

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018 20:35 

Current ride: 1125CR & HD Hardtail
I've heard about '09s having a shitty rectifier, and now my battery has died while riding. I can smell something a bit hot and rubbery under the seat, and the fuses are ok, so I presume this is a classic rectifier failure, which I've heard can also bugger the stator. How do I check what has failed?

Can somebody please point me to an existing 1125 stator/rectifier thread that describes how to test the whole system to identify the problem? I've had a look, but

And then secondly, what is the replacement rectifier of choice? And possibly replacement stator?

Thanks

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018 20:52 
Site Admin

You will need to get the rotor 'drilled' for an oil jet. West Country re-winds will sort the stator but wont guarantee it. I fit a mosfet reg/rec.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018 21:09 
Site Admin

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=146

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018 21:25 

Maz wrote:
You will need to get the rotor 'drilled' for an oil jet. West Country re-winds will sort the stator but wont guarantee it. I fit a mosfet reg/rec.

Thanks for the link. I presume the oil jet would be to help cool the stator? And this is also just to help prevent future problems isn't it, rather than to actually fix it right now.

Any particular mosfet rectifier, as that's just a type of rectifier isn't it?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018 21:48 

And one more question - can my very new Oxford heated grips running around the 50-60% setting contribute to rectifier failure?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018 22:31 
Site Admin

Yes and yes and to be honest the standard reg/rec aint that bad, it's the location that's a problem......they all get red hot and need to be out in the breeze.
If you have the recall harness fitted, chuck it in the bin......the relay is almost certainly burnt out anyway !

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018 22:49 

Maz wrote:
Yes and yes and to be honest the standard reg/rec aint that bad, it's the location that's a problem......they all get red hot and need to be out in the breeze.
If you have the recall harness fitted, chuck it in the bin......the relay is almost certainly burnt out anyway !

I have no idea if it has a recall harness. How would I identify one? Are you saying Buell replaced a faulty part with a more faulty part?

Is it a hot rectifier through it's own fault that will die, and perhaps also take the stator with it? Or is it a hot stator that will kill a rectifier? Or are both simply to blame and will kill one or both?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018 21:15 

Well, I think it might be my battery after all.

The battery and engine light came on, and then 3 miles later, the battery died while I was riding, and then made that clicking sound trying to start it. Had to remove the battery and leave the bike where it was, bus home. Charged the battery for 3 hours, bus back to the bike, installed it, started fine, rode the last 2 miles home.

Then I charged the battery overnight (which only gave it a 3/4 rating according to the LEDs this morning), and put it back in the bike to take all the measurements to diagnose the problem. 12.7 volts and couldn't start the bike, didn't even make the clicking noise.

I presume this means the battery is damaged. My rectifier may also be fooked, but I can't measure that yet.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018 21:29 

Current ride: .....
you need to check the battery voltage under load, attach to vehicle + volt meter try starter and lights.
Most likely is a failed cell.
If the voltage drops below 9 volts the battery is suspect

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018 22:08 

The lights and everything else seem ok, but didn't start, *as if* the starter button itself didn't work. But I don't believe my luck can be that bad, and also break overnight without use. The lights didn't dim while pressing the start button.

Is there something else linked to the charging and battery system that would cause it not to start? I was expecting it to start and then do the checks, starting with it not charging, and go from there...

Flipping the kills witch made one of the relays make a little click, so I presume that was working. No fuses were blown.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018 22:36 

courtesy of Pash pdf.
sstarter 3.6

http://www.ukbeg.com/pash/2008%20Buell% ... 49-08Y.pdf

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018 23:11 

nigelbread wrote:

Very detailed, thanks!

Before I go through all those flowcharts, could you hint at what might have been damaged by a battery dying, charged, started, ridden, charged and then failing to start again? before I check the all the wires and fuses, starting system, ignition system, and charging system?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018 23:16 

intermitent fault.
I do not know your model.
I would check battery earths including for starter relays
Main power battery connections, a poor connection can work like a one way valve high amps out to starter but blocking charging circuit.
Safety switches are always suspect .
Get starter to work first.
Battery may be faulty you need to get a proper discharge test or at least try a slave battery with GOOD jump leads.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018 23:19 

Ok; I don't know how any of the earths would've come loose in that period of not moving in my garage, but it's a start. I'll go through all the flowcharts tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help!

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018 23:22 

nigelbread wrote:
Battery may be faulty you need to get a proper discharge test or at least try a slave battery with GOOD jump leads.

Yeh I think I checked the voltage whilst 'starting', and if I did, it didn't change, so I reckon a fuse or relay or some connection has been lost between last night and tonight. Thanks again!