It is currently 28 Mar 2024 12:50

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019 09:35 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hi Folks,
Just in case you're fed up with the cooling thread & haven't read it. (Or don't read any of my posts like Maz says he doesn't) although I know he secretly does heh heh.
Could anyone out there tell me if the 1125r ECM will manage the auxilary relay on a click switch to complete a circuit?
The electrical diagram states the relay is a constant earth & seemingly the ECM does something with a code when it doesn't recognise the item & connects the earth coil in the Aux relay. Have I go that right? a simple on off switch will make the circuit complete & the ECM will activate the coil and hence the fan?
Thanks in anticipation Paul.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019 11:43 

Current ride: X1 2001
:? show a picture of the wiring circuit & give us a sporting chance ?

a relay is a heavy load switch , controlled by a smaller low load switch
i take it your trying to use an already installed circuit to power another fan ?

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019 12:26 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Hi Folks,
Just in case you're fed up with the cooling thread & haven't read it. (Or don't read any of my posts like Maz says he doesn't) although I know he secretly does heh heh.

I don't read many of them cos they're 1125 oriented and I don't have any interest in them, but I would just like to point out that in this post your closing bracket is in the wrong place, you should have the rest of the sentence quoted inside them as well. No offence intended, I'm just being a grammar Nazi.(and again I'm in the tech section, I wasn't allowed in here in the past, so I may be punished for this :) )

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019 14:26 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
have a look at these about can bus
https://youtu.be/FqLDpHsxvf8
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/m ... 75912.html

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019 16:44 

Nutah wrote:
:? show a picture of the wiring circuit & give us a sporting chance ?

a relay is a heavy load switch , controlled by a smaller low load switch
i take it your trying to use an already installed circuit to power another fan ?

Hi Nutah,
I'm using the auxiliary connector which is a two pin. I'm guessing power & earth, I'm just making a loop circuit from that connector through the fan with a switch. Just wondering if this switch will trigger the ECM to turn the relay on as the ECM controls the Aux relay.
I'll be trying it tomorrow anyway & if it doesn't work I'll run it straight from the battery.
If anyone knows if it will or won't, that would be cool, I guess it's just like fitting heated grips or anything else from the Aux Port but I want to be able to turn it on/off hence the switch.
Thanks for your attention. Paul.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019 16:49 

barney wrote:

Thanks Bonzo interesting stuff.
As for the use of Brackets, Thanks. Feel free to pick me up when you feel like it re grammar, always willing to learn.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019 20:44 

Current ride: X1 2001
similar to Bonzo , i don't have much interest in 1125 etc.
this is not meant to be derogatory , just not my thing.

however
unsure as the circuit if via the ecm could control other functions , or the load your intending to put on it could worse case scenario ,toast the ecm.
i would temporarily run a separate circuit (not using the ecm) to see if your fan mod works cooling wise .
as you could be making a lot of work for little return maybe .
before delving deeper into the ecm circuit wiring diagram as the load may be to great .

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019 21:17 

Nutah wrote:
similar to Bonzo , i don't have much interest in 1125 etc.
this is not meant to be derogatory , just not my thing.

however
unsure as the circuit if via the ecm could control other functions , or the load your intending to put on it could worse case scenario ,toast the ecm.
i would temporarily run a separate circuit (not using the ecm) to see if your fan mod works cooling wise .
as you could be making a lot of work for little return maybe .
before delving deeper into the ecm circuit wiring diagram as the load may be to great .

Thanks for that Nutah,
The aux port takes up to 10amps so should manage the fan without any trouble.
I'll give it a try tomorrow & see what happens, it can't toast the ECU, it will either work or not depending on whether the ECU will activate the auxiliary power supply.
Otherwise straight from the battery to see if it makes the cooling any better, if not I can just take it off again.
Just experimenting TBH but with the foil on the frame, the exhaust scoop & the fan I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't work.
Still got to burn some joss sticks in front of the fan to see where it blows out & other very scientific tests to carry out heh heh.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019 12:08 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
Jazzbutcher wrote:

The interesting stuff was from Barney :)

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019 14:39 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
Bonzo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:

:yt:
must be the med's he's on, or is it the smoke from some funny joss sticks ;) he's using to test the fan lOl

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019 15:39 

barney wrote:
Bonzo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:

:yt:
must be the med's he's on, or is it the smoke from some funny joss sticks ;) he's using to test the fan lOl

Should've known, Barney's links are usually interesting stuff. Sorry about that Barney & Bonzo.

Meds are working better than they were & I hadn't think about using other smoke, but it would definitely be more interesting than burning Joss sticks, that's for sure.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019 23:46 

Current ride: 1125r, Ducati Darmah
Hi Jazzbutcher, I take it you have seen this; http://www.ukbeg.com/pash/2008%20Buell% ... 49-08Y.pdf

The ECM only monitors the earth side of the relay circuit and cannot know what the relay is switching on !
" The ECM grounds the coil side of the relay
causing the relay to energize and supply power to the auxiliary
connector. The ECM monitors the ground circuit for an open
or shorted condition and sets a code if a condition is present"
Check with your voltmeter but as soon as the ign is on ( with factory ECM) there will be 12v at the aux output so you will need a switch.
For safety I`d put an eight amp fuse between the Aux output (Term 1)and the fan, 8 amp because the aux power fuse is 10 amp. Make sure to turn your fan off before you try to start the bike. As I am sure you know; fan/s on=lower voltage.
Good Luck Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019 13:39 

Hi Al1125r,
Yeah thanks for the diagram, I have a copy & had looked at it & seen how the aux worked, I just wasn't sure if it would activate with the use of a switch. Good idea with the lower volt fuse as well I hadn't thought of that.
Still thinking about altering the trajectory of the fan so it's pointing a bit more over the front cylinder and across the top of the engine, just need to make the top fixing a little longer. Now it's in place I can see how it needs adjusting. The oic is in the cooling thread if you're interested.
Been at Hospital this Am & was out last night after fitting the fan so I'll get on with it after this unless my missus has other ideas on this bright sunny day.
Thanks for the ideas & your attention. All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019 10:55 

al1125r wrote:
Hi Jazzbutcher, I take it you have seen this; http://www.ukbeg.com/pash/2008%20Buell% ... 49-08Y.pdf

The ECM only monitors the earth side of the relay circuit and cannot know what the relay is switching on !
" The ECM grounds the coil side of the relay
causing the relay to energize and supply power to the auxiliary
connector. The ECM monitors the ground circuit for an open
or shorted condition and sets a code if a condition is present"
Check with your voltmeter but as soon as the ign is on ( with factory ECM) there will be 12v at the aux output so you will need a switch.
For safety I`d put an eight amp fuse between the Aux output (Term 1)and the fan, 8 amp because the aux power fuse is 10 amp. Make sure to turn your fan off before you try to start the bike. As I am sure you know; fan/s on=lower voltage.
Good Luck Hope this helps.

Hi al1125r,
Thanks for the info re the socket being "live" as soon as the ignition is on, I thought the ECU had to identify the socket needed power. So thanks for answering the question. Nice one. Paul.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019 17:52 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
I believe that the aux socket switches off if the ecm detects the voltage is dropping too low.