It is currently 20 Apr 2024 02:16

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 13:17 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
pash wrote:
I think the penultimate version of ECMSpy for PC will allow you to do this.

You can give it a try, as the beginning of the log data is the same as earlier versions, but I'm not sure how EcmSpy handles the longer record size. Maybe the largest part of the data will just look completely wrong.

Runtime data is explained at the ecmspy website. If the runtime topic does not show up in the menu, please tell me, that I will have a look at it.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 15:51 
pash wrote:
It would be interesting to see some logged data using ECMSpy for when the engine wont start, and we could see if the ETS or speed probe is reading a funny value or not. I think the penultimate version of ECMSpy for PC will allow you to do this. I dont have an 08/09/10 bike so I can't check.

Thats the problem for me, it's totally intermittent so looking for this problem to occur on test will take a long time!

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 16:07 
I spoke to Lee at Riders (Bridgwater) service department, at lunch time today, and he said that the engineers had replaced the ECU, which apparently "half fixed it" - and were still working on it.

I mentioned (again -I sent email last night) that the ETS was a known early failure item - but apparently that is not their experience.

Lee said they would keep me up-dated, with a call later today.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 16:12 
shudnobeta wrote:
I spoke to Lee at Riders (Bridgwater) service department, at lunch time today, and he said that the engineers had replaced the ECU, which apparently "half fixed it" - and were still working on it.

I mentioned (again -I sent email last night) that the ETS was a known early failure item - but apparently that is not their experience.

Funny that! I must have spoke to Lee at Riders also. Told him my problems, he mentioned they are working on a similar problem on a uly now. Sounds like your bike! Mines going in on Saturday. He was little vague but it must be impossible to talk shop and diagnostics over the phone with a bike you've not seen! I'm going to try and get my bike to fail again and this time video it hopefully before Saturday. At the moment it's behaving perfectly! :roll:

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 17:35 
ph4824 wrote:
shudnobeta wrote:

Funny that! I must have spoke to Lee at Riders also. Told him my problems, he mentioned they are working on a similar problem on a uly now. Sounds like your bike! Mines going in on Saturday. He was little vague but it must be impossible to talk shop and diagnostics over the phone with a bike you've not seen! I'm going to try and get my bike to fail again and this time video it hopefully before Saturday. At the moment it's behaving perfectly! :roll:

Lee called and said they had worked on it all day but still hadn't solved it. Done everything except change the ETS. Which will do tomorrow. Apparently the test rides mad working on the hot engine difficult and getting at the ETS is awkward and therefore has not been tried, and so will be tomorrow.
To their credit the Riders engineers are trying their best and not wasting time and keeping in contact.

But what happens if they cannot solve the problem :?: (the bikes under warranty still)

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 18:04 
Site Admin

Riders have engineers ?? :o

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 18:25 
Maz wrote:
Riders have engineers ?? :o

:) - well I don't know - what the difference - not here though I have started another thread for this question.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009 19:14 
I got it back today. Riders service dept were very good and kept in touch. Starts and goes fine enough........ but still a bit hesitant around 2750 rpm. And it pops on over run big time. It did it before but a lot more now.
Need to take it to someone who is expert at setting it up. Pash - do you know anyone :?: Wayne @ Mayors motorcycles seem very capable diagnosticians.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009 20:13 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
shudnobeta wrote:
I got it back today. Riders service dept were very good and kept in touch. Starts and goes fine enough........

What did they do to it then?

shudnobeta wrote:
but still a bit hesitant around 2750 rpm. And it pops on over run big time. It did it before but a lot more now.

My guess is that the front cylinder is running lean at 2750, which has probably been done for fuel consumption purposes. And that it is running too rich when the throttle is closed.

shudnobeta wrote:
Need to take it to someone who is expert at setting it up. Pash - do you know anyone :?: Wayne @ Mayors motorcycles seem very capable diagnosticians.

Yeah, let me know what he says.... ;)

Alternatively, come and pay me a visit (and you can tell me what to do with my Magnolia tree whilst you are here). I am a bit busy for the next few weekends, and yes, I know it is an 08 model.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009 20:37 
shudnobeta I'm disappointed! Was hoping it would be sorted 100% perfecto! Mines booked in on Saturday, don't want to spend more money getting someone else to set it up when it should be working right in the first place?

As Pash already ask - what exactly did Riders do?

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009 23:16 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
pash wrote:
and you can tell me what to do with my Magnolia tree whilst you are here.

I can tell you too. Tear it out and burn it. Make room for another garage.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2009 06:17 
proff. patpending

gunter wrote:
pash wrote:
and you can tell me what to do with my Magnolia tree whilst you are here.

I can tell you too. Tear it out and burn it. Make room for another garage.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2009 14:37 
ph4824 wrote:
shudnobeta I'm disappointed! Was hoping it would be sorted 100% perfecto! Mines booked in on Saturday, don't want to spend more money getting someone else to set it up when it should be working right in the first place?

As Pash already ask - what exactly did Riders do?

I never got a chance to speak to the engineer/technician/fitter/mechanic (matt) as they were packing up to go home. A service manager said it was mainly the ECU and that the ETS replacement made no difference.

I got the impression they wanted it out of the workshop & were 90% happy with what they had achieved.

Pash takes green shield stamps and nectar points so you won't need to shell out any dosh. :twisted: Fact is though people who take a real interest in getting things right 'cost', - which is true in every field.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2009 15:49 
proff. patpending

shudnobeta wrote:
I never got a chance to speak to the engineer/technician/fitter/mechanic (matt) as they were packing up to go home. A service manager said it was mainly the ECU and that the ETS replacement made no difference.

I got the impression they wanted it out of the workshop & were 90% happy with what they had achieved.

I would guess they just put it all back together again.

shudnobeta wrote:
Fact is though people who take a real interest in getting things right 'cost', - which is true in every field.

I challenge you to get a better solution (which 'costs') than the one I am offering you (for free).

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2009 16:24 
Hey Pash, if you can fix my intermittent fault for free I'll dig your tree up myself! :lol: