It is currently 24 Apr 2024 21:44

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: 2008 Uly fueling problem
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 17:52 
went for a ride & stopped off and Uly wouldn't restart. It had felt a bit hesitatnt around 3-4000 rpm but I put that down to it being cold.

Got it going & road the 30 old miles to Riders of Bridgwater. They very kindly reset the TPS, changed the plugs & said it was running rich. Mechanic took it for a spin and said apart from not starting well it seemed OK.
When they gacve it back it wouldn't start and stank of fuel. So they still have it.

Fortunately still under warranty and Riders are being v. good - but seem unsure about what the problem is. Plug in diagnostic said no problems.

Someone here no doubt knows what the problem is. :idea:

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 19:03 
Site Admin

ETS ?

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 19:15 
Hi Maz

ETS - :idea:

I found the following about 02 sensors -

If these "Failures" actually represent an true component failure on the part of the O2 sensor, this would be an incomprensible number. It would represent an complete breakdown in Harley's manufacturing and Quality Assurance process. Since the O2 sensors are most likely manufactured by Bosch, it would also represent a departure from the normal high standards of this company.

There is also a high probabililty that increasing percentages of ethanol in gasoline is contributing to increased failure rates of the O2 sensors. Ethanol is highly corrosive and can damage the O2 sensors. This helps explain some of the increased failures since 2006.

http://tuneyourharley.com/biketech/cont ... dson-bikes

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 19:16 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Engine Temperature Sensor...

What is your starting technique? Is it the same as teh previous owner? Did he have issues with starting?

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 19:56 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
It's a bit disturbing. I have had several cases of ETS failures lately, but the XB seemed always safer from ETS errors compared to the tubers. But apparently this was a misjudgement ...

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 20:36 
Site Admin

Tis the same K couple sensor, same part number etc.......and I fit at least 1 per week, tubers and XB's and they rarely set a TC.

SNB, your problem has nowt to do with O2 sensor......they are no.2 in the most frequent sensor failure but your above paste is complete nonsense IMO.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 21:16 
Maz wrote:
Tis the same K couple sensor, same part number etc.......and I fit at least 1 per week, tubers and XB's and they rarely set a TC.

SNB, your problem has nowt to do with O2 sensor......they are no.2 in the most frequent sensor failure but your above paste is complete nonsense IMO.

OK - thanks for the input. ETS.

Pash asked about starting procedure -
ignition on, wait for yellow engine like to go out - prod the button. Has started first time everytime until I stopped fro 10 mnutes whilst it was hot. Started after turning engine for 10 secs and tweaking throttle. Road the 30 miles to bridgwater by which time if I hadn't get gunning it, it would of stalled and not started.
Previous owners didn't have any problems.

S1 tomorrow for Sammy Millers. :)

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 21:19 
gunter wrote:
It's a bit disturbing. I have had several cases of ETS failures lately, but the XB seemed always safer from ETS errors compared to the tubers. But apparently this was a misjudgement ...

Gunter, presumably only tubers EFI have ETS :?:

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 21:29 
Site Admin

Quote:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 09:57 
shudnobeta wrote:
ignition on, wait for yellow engine like to go out - prod the button. Has started first time everytime until I stopped fro 10 mnutes whilst it was hot. Started after turning engine for 10 secs and tweaking throttle. Road the 30 miles to bridgwater by which time if I hadn't get gunning it, it would of stalled and not started.

This is very similar to my experience also. Have had a few times where mine won't start first time following same start up proceedure as above. When I have managed to get it started it can also run rough like the timing is out or it's not firing evenly. Tickover all over the place and I have to keep revving it to prevent a stall. When in this state a loss of power is also noticed - all noise less acceleration.

What is ETS please?

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 10:08 
proff. patpending

ph4824 wrote:
What is ETS please?

See here

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 10:32 
Site Admin

08> bikes have had issues with dodgy crank sensors.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 10:51 
Maz wrote:
8> bikes have had issues with dodgy crank sensors.

cranks sensors? That sounds like a big job to replace?
What symptoms do they show - all of the above?

What sensor can fail intermittently without the engine management light ever coming on and storing fault codes?

Last edited by ph4824 on 24 Aug 2009 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 10:51 
pash wrote:
ph4824 wrote:
What is ETS please?

See here

Thanks Pash, I should have read correctly in the first place :headbang:

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009 12:50 
proff. patpending

ph4824 wrote:
Maz wrote:
8> bikes have had issues with dodgy crank sensors.

cranks sensors? That sounds like a big job to replace?
What symptoms do they show - all of the above?

What sensor can fail intermittently without the engine management light ever coming on and storing fault codes?

I guess it all depends on how the faults are detected. I look after a bit of kit at work that has fault detection logic in it. You don't want to trigger a warning to a pilot if it is not a real fault (i.e. disturbance as a result of a lightning strike or a radar pulse etc.), so we generally work with a 3 second confirmation timer. We are also limited on how we can detect in-range failures, for instance a thermocouple could come loose, still measure a temperature but between the max and the min that we would be likely to see. You can "model" the temperature you would expect to see, but often if you get too clever you can end up identifying failures that are anomalies with the system operation rather than a duff transducer.

Anyway, I digress. It would be interesting to see some logged data using ECMSpy for when the engine wont start, and we could see if the ETS or speed probe is reading a funny value or not. I think the penultimate version of ECMSpy for PC will allow you to do this. I dont have an 08/09/10 bike so I can't check.