It is currently 16 Apr 2024 06:07

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 10:06 
been trawling e bay and the web and any other avenues i can think of to get a race system for my xb9 city x very few about to fit my headers and those that are seem real expensive even second hand so i thought sod it make your own . i have all the relevant gear so bought a stubby end can off a guy on e bay £100 brand new and he made the inlet 63 mil got some bends and rolled some stainless flat into tubes . now what i need to know is do i just disconnect my battery to tack it together on the bike or will i need to unplug any thing else . i know this system will be the dogs and will post some footage when done . if anyone can help with my predicament i would be very gratefull .

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 10:19 
No idea but can't wait to see the results :D :yup:

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 17:10 
The Nagged Hubby

I would take the battery away and pull as many connectors as pos esp the ECM and only earth the set on the pipes or can itself. I would only use a TIG as spatter will be a problem with anything else!

Nate.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 20:06 
Personally I wouldn't put that voltage through any of the electrical components on the bike.
I've made a few exhausts, why not mock up and mark rotations etc. then remove and weld, makes a lot of sense.
I used to weld a lot of cars with just disconnecting the battery, but I wouldn't do it on a bike.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 20:10 
The Nagged Hubby

woz wrote:
Personally I wouldn't put that voltage through any of the electrical components on the bike.
I've made a few exhausts, why not mock up and mark rotations etc. then remove and weld, makes a lot of sense.
I used to weld a lot of cars with just disconnecting the battery, but I wouldn't do it on a bike.

The whole idea of disconnecting electrical componants is to avoid putting any current through them- no? No one has suggested he should put any current through his electrics have they? :?
Nate.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 22:02 
thanks for your feedback guys , was gonna tig it as i know about the spatter from mig . but ithink moking it up removing to weld is the best way to go . unless anyone knows any different . cheers jez .

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 22:14 
The Nagged Hubby

Try and purge the inside with argon, this will help stop oxidation traveling through the molten pool.

N.