It is currently 26 Apr 2024 06:19

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 01:04 
I have a 2001 M2 Cyclone and the front engine mount (isolation bush) is cream crackered. Just got a replacement part no. 16207-79D (note the D; fifth revision!) and attempted to fit only to find that the internal diameter of the bush is smaller than that of the original. The original bolt is a 3/4AF which fits the original bush just fine but there is no way it's going to fit in the new bush. Anyone encounter this problem before me? I don't know if the latest bush is intended to use a smaller diameter bolt or whether the wrong part has been supplied or if there has been a manufacturing snafu in china (so much for american parts...). Anyway, if you can shed further light on this apparent mismatch, I'd appreciate it. cheers.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 01:28 
Site Admin

That is the wrong part number.....it used to be right when Buell and HD models shared the same part but when the HD part changed it took the superceded no. you posted above.....the Buell part stayed the same but was issued with a Buell specific number.
Does that make sense ??....I know what I mean anyway :lol:

I should know this number by heart as I've fitted 2 of them in the last couple of days and re-ordered them today.....however, I've had a few bevvys tonight :oooops:
New number you need is something like S1501.9 or similar........I will confirm tomorrow or you could giz a call on 0161 343 3077 after 11am later today ;)

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 10:29 
Yes indeed. Spoke to a dealer who consulted HD parts net and discovered that front engine mount part number 16207-79B is also listed as Buell part L0501.2.

At the same time, found a posting on www.badweatherbikers.com (a very useful US Buell resource site for those of you that have not found it yet...) dated Dec'05 saying that there was a Buell Parts And Accessories Bulletin number 32 stating that 16207-79B is replaced by L0501.2 for certain Buell (Tuber) applications. Neither revision 16207-79C nor 16207-79D will fit if like me you have a tuber of 'a certain age' that wants a 16207-79B replacement!

Hope this helps prevent someone from getting stuck. I am now waiting for the RIGHT part from the aforesaid dealer who should have known his onions. In fairness, the parts book does say that 16207-79D is the correct part (albeit for various other Buells - mostly XBs). Perhaps the moral of the story is to persuade your dealer to double check Buell parts orders on the HD parts net?

Off to put the old bush back in just to hold the engine up for the time being...

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 10:36 
Site Admin

HDnet will have automatically given the new number as an option when ordering the part, so yes, parts geezer needs a slap :shock:

16207-79 will not fit ANY Buell and the XB has a totally different set up.

If ya anywhere near Manchester, I have them in stock ;)

....oh and dont forget to upgrade the engine mount for a billet item whilst you're doing the job :idea:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 12:18 
Thanks for the ace help on the phone Maz.
The original HD dealer is swapping out the wrong part for a correct replacement - just the incovenience of it all....

I have checked the mount and it (and its bolts) are all still holding fast. That said, I have already sent an enquiry regarding acquiring a billet front engine mount & new bolts per your suggestion.

Good to talk to someone so 'hands on', experienced, and familiar with the faults (ooops, I mean, challenges...) that our Buells present.
I'll be talking to you again soon about how to deal with a few more of these perks of ownership.
Once again, many thanks.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 13:56 
Site Admin

No worries......although I have to admit to being a little disappointed at your deep voice :o :lol: ;)

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009 15:27 

Maz wrote:
... a little disappointed at your deep voice :o :lol: ;)

Aw, bum. Does it refer to a choice of scoot rather than, say, a gender test? :lol: :lol: