It is currently 28 Mar 2024 22:26

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017 20:03 

Current ride: xb12s lightning
Hello there,
My 2003 xb12s lightning requires a 20000 mile service, what is involved and can it be done at home by a competent enthusiast. I have heard horror stories that the oil pump gear will fail at any time, how true is this. Also how easy is it to reset the throttle position sensor.
Thanks Spudnick.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017 23:00 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
All the info is on the site, I detailed my Uly 10k, it will be the same as that. For the oil pump, there are plenty of posts on how to do that...

There are a hand full of people who have been unable to follow instructions and have wrecked their engines by not allowing the tappets to bleed down, despite their enthusiasm. Maz will do it properly for you with no risk...

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2017 19:34 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
It's all do-able. I class myself as a competent enthusiast and I've had both my tuber and xbs down to just a bare engine. A workshop manual is a must, a scissor type engine platform and ratchet straps will come in useful and a good selection of AF sockets, Allen socket ends and torx socket ends will be needed. Don't forget to budget for gaskets bearings. A lucky hands oil pump drive gear and oils. The head bearings are Buell specific. Also as pash says have a read up in the ' how to ' section. And use the search function of the forum it's invaluable for tasks like this. Or you could just leave it with Maz and wait for the phone call that it's ready. And it'll be done to the highest spec possible :yup: