It is currently 29 Mar 2024 12:07

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017 12:06 

Current ride: 1125R
Finally got round to fitting new battery yesterday. Connected ammeter between battery and negative lead and no apparent draw. Fired her up and she started immediately. Went out this morning to check that all was well, for a rideout later and the battery was completely dead. There is obviously an earth fault somewhere but where is my most likely site? My gut is still with the stator, even though it charges ok

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017 12:35 

If you flatten your Lithium battery, the dedicated Lithium charger may not recognise it as a battery. If this is the case, 10 mins or so on a normal lead/acid charger will charge it enough for the dedicated charger to work. This has happened to me a couple of times and the Shorai is still going strong.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017 12:51 

First Lithium battery went back to manufacturer and they were unable to get it to charge either! this is the replacement that they sent out - it was fully charged before I fitted it yesterday and dead this morning. It is now recharging on my smart charger and back up to 70%+. I need to find out why my bike is draining the battery overnight. On a car, I would suspect the alternator, which is why my instinct is to look at the stator on the bike

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017 14:17 

Mine's an '08 too and had a parasitic draw before the clocks were changed. Have you had it running and shut it off with the key (and left the kill switch on) and then checked for draw? Out of interest, what brand of battery are you using? I thought my Shorai was faulty, but it turned out to be the connector to the charger, which the vendor swapped and said they'd had this trouble before with Shorai.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017 17:35 

Adam wrote:
Mine's an '08 too and had a parasitic draw before the clocks were changed. Have you had it running and shut it off with the key (and left the kill switch on) and then checked for draw? Out of interest, what brand of battery are you using? I thought my Shorai was faulty, but it turned out to be the connector to the charger, which the vendor swapped and said they'd had this trouble before with Shorai.

Not checked for draw after running. The battery is a Shido and has fully recharged on my charger. Ive not had a problem until recently, so unless the parasitic draw issue is one that can develop over time, it's unlikely to be the clock but I'll keep an open mind. I would have thought that parasitic draw would be insufficient to flatten a new Lithium overnight, so am still inclined towards the stator as the root of my problem

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017 13:19 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
MikeEllis1709 wrote:
Adam wrote:

Not checked for draw after running. The battery is a Shido and has fully recharged on my charger. Ive not had a problem until recently, so unless the parasitic draw issue is one that can develop over time, it's unlikely to be the clock but I'll keep an open mind. I would have thought that parasitic draw would be insufficient to flatten a new Lithium overnight, so am still inclined towards the stator as the root of my problem

A faulty stator would prevent charging but shouldn't flatten a battery when the bike is parked , more likely to be the regulator/ rectifier.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017 09:13 

kevmean wrote:
MikeEllis1709 wrote:
Adam wrote:

A faulty stator would prevent charging but shouldn't flatten a battery when the bike is parked , more likely to be the regulator/ rectifier.

My research is pointing that way too. I've blown the electronic dust off the electrical manual, so today will be spent tracing the problem. Unfortunately, even if I fix it today, I still won't get out this weekend as it's also blown a fork oil seal :cry:

PostPosted: 04 May 2017 23:22 

MikeEllis1709 wrote:
kevmean wrote:
MikeEllis1709 wrote:
Adam wrote:

My research is pointing that way too. I've blown the electronic dust off the electrical manual, so today will be spent tracing the problem. Unfortunately, even if I fix it today, I still won't get out this weekend as it's also blown a fork oil seal :cry:

UPDATE
An hours work and a £285 bill for a new regulator has now fixed my nasty discharge problem :dance: - fork seals booked for next week