UK Buell Enthusiasts Group
http://www.ukbeg.com/forum/

Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR
http://www.ukbeg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22067
Page 1 of 2

Author:  FerrisBueller [ Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

Searching previous threads, all I can find are expired links and/or guides on XB's only, not an 1125CR.

Can anybody shed some light as to where it would be best to connect my heated grips, using this diagram (if it's the correct one), or any other one from the manual here http://ukbeg.com/downloads/1125/1125manual.pdf

Image
https://s29.postimg.org/tvy8i7m1z/Buell ... sories.jpg

Will I be able to add them into the headlight/accessory wiring, just after the 10A or 15A fuses from i presume under the headlight cowl, or is it better to wire them further back with their own fuse, but still after the ignition? (The ones I have are 30W total) Thanks.

Author:  kevmean [ Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

There is a spare auxilliary plug behind the flyscreen specifically for this, not only is it only live with ign on it also turns itself off if battery voltage gets too low whilst running.

Author:  FerrisBueller [ Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

Wow, perfect. I'll have a look for this later.

Does it look like a standard 2 pin battery tender connection?

Author:  kevmean [ Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

FerrisBueller wrote:
Wow, perfect. I'll have a look for this later.

Does it look like a standard 2 pin battery tender connection?

If you've got the 1125 manual look under page 2-75 and it shows the plug next to the headlight connector, if you have it on pdf it will be page 150 I think. If it's never been used there will be the other half of the plug connected in it with a couple of rubber blanking plugs, you just need to get some of the connector pins to fit to the end of your cable you are connecting.

Author:  FerrisBueller [ Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

kevmean wrote:
If it's never been used there will be the other half of the plug connected in it with a couple of rubber blanking plugs, you just need to get some of the connector pins to fit to the end of your cable you are connecting.


Excellent, thanks. One last question then; do you know what this connector is called in order to go online and buy the pins? But I suppose I could just cut this off and use any other connector I can find.

Author:  kevmean [ Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

FerrisBueller wrote:
kevmean wrote:
If it's never been used there will be the other half of the plug connected in it with a couple of rubber blanking plugs, you just need to get some of the connector pins to fit to the end of your cable you are connecting.


Excellent, thanks. One last question then; do you know what this connector is called in order to go online and buy the pins? But I suppose I could just cut this off and use any other connector I can find.

I can't remember the type , maybe Pash will know because Pash is awesome ;)

Author:  pash [ Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

I am awesome. I'll have a look later...

Author:  FerrisBueller [ Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

Sure enough, I found that plug, but it only has about 1v coming out of it. :?

Author:  pash [ Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

FerrisBueller wrote:
Sure enough, I found that plug, but it only has about 1v coming out of it. :?

That's a start... Just need another 11...

Plug/socket is a Sumitomo MT, normally used for fuel injectors...

Anyway, terminals available here.

I'll double check the measurements with the genuine Buell ones I have once I get the chance...

:P

Author:  FerrisBueller [ Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

Thanks. But why would it only have 1v? I would have thought it would have 12 or 0.

Author:  pash [ Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

Yeah. Can't remember if it has its own relay (but I vaguely remember it being relayed in the ECM). May be worth a wiggle if there is one...

Author:  FerrisBueller [ Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

Wiggling the relay? Would that be under the seat? The connector just has about 2" of wire before going into the massive bundle of wires that goes under the frame.

But anyway, this connector should have the full 12v shouldnt it, if it's wired correctly, yeh? It's not as if it's designed for something else.

Author:  kevmean [ Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

FerrisBueller wrote:
Wiggling the relay? Would that be under the seat? The connector just has about 2" of wire before going into the massive bundle of wires that goes under the frame.

But anyway, this connector should have the full 12v shouldnt it, if it's wired correctly, yeh? It's not as if it's designed for something else.

Did you check voltage with the engine running ? also if using a digital multi meter some cheap ones aren't always accurate. Select the voltage display on the dash whilst checking the voltage. if the dash is showing charging in the 13 volt range then the socket should be live.

Author:  pash [ Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

Connector looks like this:
https://sc01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1q357KVXX ... F-6189.jpg

Keyway may be wrong though...

Author:  FerrisBueller [ Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Heated grips wired into ignition on an 1125CR

kevmean wrote:
Did you check voltage with the engine running ? also if using a digital multi meter some cheap ones aren't always accurate. Select the voltage display on the dash whilst checking the voltage. if the dash is showing charging in the 13 volt range then the socket should be live.


Yeh I tried it running, and my multimeter works fine, tried it directly on the battery. I think it might be a naff earth on that connector though, as I tried it connected to the positive and the earth from an indicator wire and it came up 12v. I presume a poor earth is causing it to be just 1v.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC+01:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/