UK Buell Enthusiasts Group
http://www.ukbeg.com/forum/

Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!
http://www.ukbeg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22002
Page 1 of 2

Author:  kernow60 [ Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

Hi all
Could do with some help and advice here please.
My Uly XT was due for a 12,500 thou service, which will be the second time I have done this service, the first without any problems. I drained the engine oil and removed filter late yesterday afternoon, as well as the gearbox/primary oil.
Didn't get around to finishing the job until today, well this afternoon actually. Replenished the gearbox/primary with .95L first followed by the engine oil approx 2.5L and filter, all products oil and filter from Riders of Bristol.

Started her up and waited a few seconds for the light to go out which it did, left it running for about 30-secs just to check for oil tightness filter, drain studs etc. The oil light then started to flicker at first and then stayed on, switched off and checked level which was o.k.
Remembered that I hadn't filled the filter with oil prior to fitting which to be honest is something I always do, just forgot in this instance. Removed the filter there was some oil present in it but needed quite a bit to fill it, replaced it and tried again, light still remains on, started to panic a bit now.

Drained the oil out into a clean container, removed each of the three oil lines to check to any blockage by blowing through them, all were fine. So now I'm starting to suspect the new oil filter wondering if it's faulty or the wrong one maybe, checked the part number on my invoice from Riders which is 63806-00Y, which is the same has last years invoice for the same filter.

So I'm wondering where to go from here, a friend of mine did a search on google for the problem and found someone with the same problem, he found he had been supplied with a filter for a water-cooled Buell instead of one for an air cooled engine, apparently the water-cooled filter filters down to 1-micron whereas the air-cooled filter filters down to 5-microns and apparently this was not allowing enough oil to flow thus causing low oil pressure.

My next step was to replace the new filter with the one I had just removed, but hopefully thought I would get some advice on here first before I do that. :ill:

Author:  deepsix [ Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

The water cooled Buell filters look like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/30188051 ... 931&crdt=0
The Uly will use a cartridge/canister type so no chance of mixing them up.
Check that you haven't disturbed any wire from the oil pressure sensor if it's in a vulnerable position. (I'm not sure where they are on them)

Author:  kernow60 [ Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

Hi, thanks yes mine is a canister type and I don't think that for one minute it's the wrong one, the pressure sensor is next to the filter, but the wire and connector look fine but will take another look tomorrow. :yup:

Author:  pash [ Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

I've had two oil pressure switches fail like you describe...

Author:  kernow60 [ Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

pash wrote:
I've had two oil pressure switches fail like you describe...


Any way of testing it Nick.?

Author:  pash [ Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

kernow60 wrote:
pash wrote:
I've had two oil pressure switches fail like you describe...


Any way of testing it Nick.?

Fit a new one...

Author:  WILLYBUELL [ Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

pash wrote:
kernow60 wrote:
pash wrote:
I've had two oil pressure switches fail like you describe...


Any way of testing it Nick.?

Fit a new one...

:yup:

Author:  WILLYBUELL [ Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

kernow60 wrote:
Hi all
Could do with some help and advice here please.
My Uly XT was due for a 12,500 thou service, which will be the second time I have done this service, the first without any problems. I drained the engine oil and removed filter late yesterday afternoon, as well as the gearbox/primary oil.
Didn't get around to finishing the job until today, well this afternoon actually. Replenished the gearbox/primary with .95L first followed by the engine oil approx 2.5L and filter, all products oil and filter from Riders of Bristol.

Started her up and waited a few seconds for the light to go out which it did, left it running for about 30-secs just to check for oil tightness filter, drain studs etc. The oil light then started to flicker at first and then stayed on, switched off and checked level which was o.k.
Remembered that I hadn't filled the filter with oil prior to fitting which to be honest is something I always do, just forgot in this instance. Removed the filter there was some oil present in it but needed quite a bit to fill it, replaced it and tried again, light still remains on, started to panic a bit now.

Drained the oil out into a clean container, removed each of the three oil lines to check to any blockage by blowing through them, all were fine. So now I'm starting to suspect the new oil filter wondering if it's faulty or the wrong one maybe, checked the part number on my invoice from Riders which is 63806-00Y, which is the same has last years invoice for the same filter.

So I'm wondering where to go from here, a friend of mine did a search on google for the problem and found someone with the same problem, he found he had been supplied with a filter for a water-cooled Buell instead of one for an air cooled engine, apparently the water-cooled filter filters down to 1-micron whereas the air-cooled filter filters down to 5-microns and apparently this was not allowing enough oil to flow thus causing low oil pressure.

My next step was to replace the new filter with the one I had just removed, but hopefully thought I would get some advice on here first before I do that. :ill:

you could take the filler cap out the swing arm and with a torch and the engine running check for oil returning into the swing arm ,should be easy to see if the scavange side is returning oil to the swing arm :yup:

Author:  kernow60 [ Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

you could take the filler cap out the swing arm and with a torch and the engine running check for oil returning into the swing arm ,should be easy to see if the scavange side is returning oil to the swing arm :yup:[/quote]

Yes of course will have a look tomorrow, thanks. If it is then looks like i need a new pressure switch.!!!

Author:  kernow60 [ Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

O.K., went out in the garage this morning to do some checks before re-installing the oil. Removed the pressure relief valve to make sure it was clean an not stuck, cleaned it and re-installed, removed the filter again to check it was full which it was, pulled the terminal off the pressure switch and it looked a bit corroded, cleaned up both the electrical terminal and the pin on the switch it locates on, and sprayed it with wd .

Installed the oil back into the tank, pulled the feed pipe of the bottom of the pump to make sure I could see the oil coming through after which I replaced the pipe and clip.

Crossed my fingers and toes and fired her up, after about 5~10 secs light went out and stayed out for about a minute after which it started to flicker for about another minute, left it running checked the return pipe in the swinging arm and the oil was returning into the tank, phew :ill: thank god for that.

Moved the terminal to & fro on the pressure switch and the light went out and appears to be staying out at the moment, left the motor running for about 10-minutes oil filter and oil return line were quite hot by this time so all is well. But I'm going to take Nick's advice and get a new pressure switch just in case.

Many thanks to all for your help & advice...................................... :yup:

Author:  kernow60 [ Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

O.K. not entirely convinced I cured my oil warning light problem, yesterday I decided to fire up the XT, probably about a month since I last started it, anyhow switched on the ignition followed by the kill switch pushed the button fired up pretty much immediately oil light went out after about 2 to 3 sec's all good, but after around a minute or so of just ticking over light came back on for approx 3 to 4 sec's and then went out, this repeated itself after some 10-secs or so after the first time, after which it stayed out for approx 5-mins or so after which the same happened again but only the once this time.

By this time the engine was up to normal operating temp and it did not re-occur, now for obvious reasons this somewhat concerns me and am wondering what to be at next, I did by the way fit a oil new pressure switch a few weeks ago as recommended by pash which at the time I thought would be the end of matter.

I'm now thinking maybe I should fit an oil pressure guage which should give me a visual indication of what is going on, any thoughts anyone??? If fitting a guage is the way to go, where is the best place to get what's required to do the job please.???

Author:  TOPGUMM [ Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

Is the tickover the right RPM?

Author:  pash [ Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

TOPGUMM wrote:
Is the tickover the right RPM?

Should be, DDFI3 is closed loop idle speed control. I would give Maz a bell, I bet he knows...

During the meanwhile, have a look at this:

viewtopic.php?p=210573#p210573

Author:  kernow60 [ Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

Yeah tick over is fine, looked at the link you posted above Nick and could well be something as simple as that, will investigate as soon as I can and post the results on here.
If that doesn't work will :askmaz: for his expert opinion. Thanks guys for your input, it has to be something silly problem only arose after and oil & filter change. :?:

Author:  Maz [ Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uly XT Oil Pressure Problem!!!

So, that begs the question of what oil and filter did you use ?

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC+01:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/