It is currently 28 Mar 2024 17:10

All times are UTC

Post subject: S1 fork seals
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010 17:46 
Hi all
I need to replace the fork seals on my 98 S1, does any one know of a kit that contaning Slider Retaining Cap, Copper Crush Washer and the seals?

Also were would be the best place to get the kit or items on there own? And is there a perfered make of fork oil?

Thanks for any help

Post subject: Re: S1 fork seals
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010 19:19 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
and don't forget to check wear of the teflon coating on the bushings - may need replacing as well.
HD-USA has S1 fork seals back-ordered. Maz'll have em, if you fancy a trip to the Emporium. I thought I saw some options on another fork/suspension site, either Traxxion or RaceTech.
HTH.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010 13:00 

Motorrad wrote:
and don't forget to check wear of the teflon coating on the bushings - may need replacing as well.
HD-USA has S1 fork seals back-ordered. Maz'll have em, if you fancy a trip to the Emporium. I thought I saw some options on another fork/suspension site, either Traxxion or RaceTech.
HTH.

:yt:

I don't normally buy HD bearings, cause the stuff I've been given is shite, apart from the prices they charge. The same for all the other bikes I've had. I've started to do the same for seals and just go to a dedicated vendor of seals. Then I can chose the quality and spec myself. Not done it with fork seals yet. Anyone have any experience? Hydraulic seals should be alright, shouldn't they, as long as they are the same spec?

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010 19:11 

Current ride: X1 2001
Talk to Tubbs at moorespeed in Poole

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010 10:27 
I’ve finely replaced the seals but on removing Slider Retaining Cap it cracked and getting new one was almost imposable, so i was left looking at buying a new set of forks!
If any one else needs to replaces there fork seals the 'Slider Retaining Cap' are very easy to brake so it may be a good idea to get some before starting the job, unlike me.

I looked everywhere for them - HD in UK, HD in US, Tubbs, Maz, with no luck. i could only find them on one web site in the US so for your Ref. http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/6161.html

I also made a tool to fit them back in without cracking them, if any one to know about the tool PM me.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2010 10:58 

Current ride: Mojo
jelly wrote:
I’ve finely replaced the seals but on removing Slider Retaining Cap it cracked and getting new one was almost imposable, so i was left looking at buying a new set of forks!
If any one else needs to replaces there fork seals the 'Slider Retaining Cap' are very easy to brake so it may be a good idea to get some before starting the job, unlike me.

I looked everywhere for them - HD in UK, HD in US, Tubbs, Maz, with no luck. i could only find them on one web site in the US so for your Ref. http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/6161.html

I also made a tool to fit them back in without cracking them, if any one to know about the tool PM me.

I let Maz do mine for me. No headaches and very reasonable cost. :yup:

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016 18:11 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Let me know if you still need some (Maz has stock too).

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2016 10:43 

Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
Bit of a bump there Mr P

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2016 13:15 

mich wrote:
Motorrad wrote:
HTH.

:yt:

I don't normally buy HD bearings, cause the stuff I've been given is shite, apart from the prices they charge. The same for all the other bikes I've had. I've started to do the same for seals and just go to a dedicated vendor of seals. Then I can chose the quality and spec myself. Not done it with fork seals yet. Anyone have any experience? Hydraulic seals should be alright, shouldn't they, as long as they are the same spec?

I've used rotary shaft seals on dirt bikes before, but they're treated as a consumable and probably not ideal. Proper fork seals sometimes have a double lip.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2016 13:24 

Lucky wrote:
jelly wrote:

I let Maz do mine for me. No headaches and very reasonable cost. :yup:

That's probably a good idea. I spent the best part of a day turning up a fork seal driver slide hammer and making a damper rod bleeding tool (ok, I know you can use a bit of wire or a tie wrap) on a new track bike I'm building, to save £50 buying them. If you take them to Maz, he'll do it while you wait and they're done right 8-)

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2016 16:35 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Graeme1203 wrote:
Bit of a bump there Mr P

:yt: have we moved into a parallel universe :D