It is currently 28 Mar 2024 15:19

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Timing cover bolts?
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2016 19:34 

Current ride: XB 9 SX
The angel of the north isn't it?

At least you didn't have a spam hammer engraved on.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016 11:04 

Bonzo wrote:
You can tell things are going to the dogs around here when Thor's hammer is mentioned in the technical section lOl

:rotfl:

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016 21:05 

Current ride: Pushbike!
What's a fish slice anyway? :?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016 22:03 
Site Admin

Dont worry about it Mick, Rik doesn't like cut down cam cases or the various pulley covers people fit as a result....he prefers to take his Buell back to it's Sportster routes with loads of useless metal that form an enclosed look with smooth flowing lines to make the engine 'look nice' whilst at the same time ignoring Buells 'streetfighter' ethos of less is more with function over form being the ideal :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016 22:33 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
Ooh . Maz 1 Rik 0.......Rik your turn to serve :run:

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2016 13:04 

Oh I'm not worried. Each to their own.
I prefer to bin the Tupperware plastic :)
And I like to see my oil lines, and be able to get a spanner on them.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016 14:46 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
Each to their own indeed; beauty is in the eye of the beholder... et al.
We are all different and our bikes should reflect that; woe the day where we are all riding identically modified bikes! Leave that to the tassel brigade.
My ethos is to keep any mods reversible; although I can't yet see a time when I would want to sell mine, I know that it would fetch more if it was standard or could be easily returned to standard. Cutting the cam case does not fit with this. To replace the camcase requires a total strip of the engine in order to line-ream the cam bushes from the inside of the crankcase. But does it improve the looks? NIMHO, the lump is already over tall and it only serves to accentuate that disproportion. Why else is it done? Allegedly to facilitate radical rerouting of the oil lines to prevent them chafing... but there are other ways to prevent that, including making them a just a little longer, clamping them to each other (which gives them more rigidity) and taking care to ensure that they aren't stretched over a sharp edge (rather than just bunging them in a bit of PU coated sleeving and hoping for the best as the factory did!). That, and checking your bike over regularly means that it's actually not an issue.
But my real beef is promoting that job as a neccessity, to newbies especially. To quote Maz last Thursday on the 'Essential Mods' thread, "Whilst changing the (oil pump) gear, cut the camcase down and re-route new oil lines 'up and over'." :shock: Bit dictatorial!
It is not essential, it is not neccessarily an improvement, in looks or function; it's certainly not up there with removing side reflectors or fitting a Free Spirits belt-tensioner on Fuellers nor renewing primary chain shoes or oil pump gears on Tubers; it's an irreversible, primarily cosmetic mod. So I'm just pointing out that not everyone does it.
However I think we all agree that the bit of ill-fitting black plastic that pretended to be a sprocket cover from the factory has to go! But to replace it with a fish slice does not to me seem the way forward One man's meat is another man's poisson (Did you see what I did there?) lOl

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016 17:18 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
rik wrote:
However I think we all agree that the bit of ill-fitting black plastic that pretended to be a sprocket cover from the factory has to go! But to replace it with a fish slice does not to me seem the way forward One man's meat is another man's poisson (Did you see what I did there?) lOl

If you look at the cam cover as standard and the sprocket cover and the hugger / belt guards on any tuber, you will see the way it flares out. Daywalker pointed this out to me and I tend to agree it is pure beauty...

However not sufficient beauty to stop me from cutting the cam cover down, throwing the sprocket cover away along with the lower belt guard, and trimming the top one down...

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016 17:54 

pash wrote:
rik wrote:

If you look at the cam cover as standard and the sprocket cover and the hugger / belt guards on any tuber, you will see the way it flares out. Daywalker pointed this out to me and I tend to agree it is pure beauty...

However not sufficient beauty to stop me from cutting the cam cover down, throwing the sprocket cover away along with the lower belt guard, and trimming the top one down...

lOl
I go totally commando myself, belt guards are for wimps (with flares) :ner: ;)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016 18:03 

Current ride: X1 2001
..so is there a mountain of removed Buell plastic somewhere ?

in the future will the original condition restorers pay top dollar for it ?

:eat:

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016 20:38 
Site Admin

Dont know why but every time I see Riks M2 it conjures images of Kirby vacuum cleaners, Airstream caravans and Dualit toasters :?
As you say though, each to their own and I dont believe I was ''dictating'' anything, just expressing an opinion in reply to a question :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016 20:58 

Current ride: ktm 950 sm
https://youtu.be/7-PFWBzrbs8

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2016 08:54 

Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
Nothing wrong with adding style to your life - 'Kirby vacuum cleaners, Airstream caravans and Dualit toasters' :yup: makes the best toast :yup:

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2016 09:49 

[quote]..so is there a mountain of removed Buell plastic somewhere ?

in the future will the original condition restorers pay top dollar for it ?
[/quote]
Yes, in my Bat Cave! :)
I'd be happy to sell it for top dollar ;)
My bike is how I want it (Almost) I'll never put it back to standard, and if the day comes when I have to sell it, it will go as it is.
My opinion is that when I bought my bike, and I rode it for the first time, I thought it was a piece of shyte. But now I've gone through it, and made a few personal changes, it's a better bike, and I love it ;)
My opinion is also that the standard cam box looks shyte. I like machines, and I like to see the bits. :)

I just bought a 95 Trident, it's mint, only three previous owners, the last for 12 years, and I can't wait to see the comments on the Triumph forums when I take the angle grinder to it, and put it on a diet :)

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2016 12:00 

Maz wrote:
Dont know why but every time I see Riks M2 it conjures images of Kirby vacuum cleaners, Airstream caravans and Dualit toasters :?

All the above universally accepted as style icons....
I'll take that as a compliment then lOl