It is currently 26 Apr 2024 23:15

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Bolt on upgrade
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 19:36 

Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
Hello all,
looking for words of wisdom (I'll informed opion is welcome too ;) ), I'm looking for some bolt on power, the engine is mechanically sound and I have little desire at this stage for anything radical.
My bike - 97 M2
Buell Race ignition, Buell Pro carbon air intake, Mikuni 42, S1 headers, Vance and Hines carbon SS2r

I thought perhaps cams, is there a bolt on out there that will not require me to source additional head work to get the benefit?

If there are any other sources off get and go that I've overlooked, please point at them. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Bolt on upgrade
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 20:04 
Milf Hunter

Current ride: '98 S1
Have you had it on the Dyno, to see what you have at present?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 20:09 

There is no magic bolt on power. The motor already produces a good but more than a standard Sportster. If you don't have full US gearing, then get, it. No more power, but it really wakes the bike up. If your bike is a UK model then it already has the SE497 cams like the S1 and X1. A Mikuni carb might be worth thinking about, but, again, no more power. Probably the lowest cost/most predictable power on the 97 M2 is to be had by bolting on a set of >04 Sportster heads (similar to XB heads but painted black with polished fins and already drilled for the carb mounting bolts). They work fine with the flat top Lightning pistons you have. If you haven't already done so, think about XB rocker box breathers, no more power but work well. The S1 headers and V&H will work fine as will the race ignition. But if you're flush then replica Pro Race exhausts and muffler are available. HTH.

PS - Is the oil pump drive and primary chain tensioner upgraded?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 21:55 

Mojomick - had it on the dyno only once, long time ago (with standard ignition, CV carb and hypercharger fitted), did not make much . I have been relying on running well ( hot and cold), starts well, ticks over well, mpg good, no significant flat spots and a good plug colour to get me through. Did plan on some dyno time if I fitted cams, sounds like I already have the best I can have without headwork.

03 - Currently running half US gearing, this gives me a fistfull of squirt in reserve at charging about speeds (75 - 95mph) - perfect. Happy/ sad - it is a UK bike, happy that I will already have the cam, sad - no longer an option for more get up and go.I have the Mikuni 42 fitted (read some tests that showed that on bikes <100 bhp, the 42 performed better than its bigger brothers).Head swap seems the next best step, but this is the sort of thing I would usually only consider if the motor was being split anyway for necessary work.
Maz sorted the oil pump drive and tensioner (mine had broken) one of the reasons I'm loathe to split the engine unnecessarily.
Guess I'll keep my eyes open for a decent pair of cheap heads to put on the 'get round to it' shelf.
Thanks for the input

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 22:03 
Think Pink

Current ride: Awesome Ulysses & X1
twin plug the heads

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 22:07 

03 - replica race pipe - seen it, love it, but I bought a job lot of V+H carbon SS2r s back in 2003 (bit of story, but they only owe me £35 a piece), just about to fit the last of the brand new ones (instead of repacking the perfectly good one on it).

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 22:08 

WILLYBUELL wrote:
twin plug the heads
Waste of time/money IMO.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 22:11 

Graeme1203 wrote:
3 - replica race pipe - seen it, love it, but I bought a job lot of V+H carbon SS2r s back in 2003 (bit of story, but they only owe me £35 a piece), just about to fit the last of the brand new ones (instead of repacking the perfectly good one on it).
No problem with the V&H mufflers anyway, the 2.5 inch collector pro race pipe and muffler might help with better flowing heads but not by much, I guess.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 22:23 

Graeme1203 wrote:
3 - Currently running half US gearing, this gives me a fistfull of squirt in reserve at charging about speeds (75 - 95mph) - perfect. Happy/ sad - it is a UK bike, happy that I will already have the cam, sad - no longer an option for more get up and go.I have the Mikuni 42 fitted (read some tests that showed that on bikes <100 bhp, the 42 performed better than its bigger brothers).Head swap seems the next best step, but this is the sort of thing I would usually only consider if the motor was being split anyway for necessary work.
Maz sorted the oil pump drive and tensioner (mine had broken) one of the reasons I'm loathe to split the engine unnecessarily.
Guess I'll keep my eyes open for a decent pair of cheap heads to put on the 'get round to it' shelf.
Thanks for the input
I seriously doubt you'll get decent AND cheap heads! They don't exist. You're competing with all the Sportster owners out there who want to upgrade their heads. Don't forget if you buy Thunderstorm heads you also need to budget for new Thunderstorm pistons and/or bore/hone cylinders. So, used TS heads would likely be dearer than new 04 XL or XB heads in the end. And the TS heads are not as good anyway as the later heads. You could get a nice head job done on your Lightning heads, but you may not want to go that way.

I'd definitely invest in full US gearing though. How fast do you want to go and for how long that full US gearing would be no use?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 23:06 

Never even considered getting work on my own heads done, given me cause to think. I reckon it's time to do some research and try to resist the temptation to get carried away. (1250 kit, lightened rods, balanced crank, etc...... :D )

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 23:29 

Full US gearing - the bike has done a couple of round Ireland jaunts and visited half a dozen European tracks (got a couple of laps in at Spa - real buzz) and plan IOM, Northwest 200 and the Le Man's classic in the near future. Motorway miles are a fact of life and I fear that full US gearing would be too buzzy at 90-100mph for a tank full of fuell.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016 07:13 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I'm waiting for neilc to share his experiences of fitting XB heads...

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016 09:45 

pash wrote:
They're a bolt on job on a '97 Lightning motor.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016 11:04 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
03 wrote:
pash wrote:
They're a bolt on job on a '97 Lightning motor.

I bolted them on to my '97 Lightning motor (and neilc). Maybe more bolts than the Sportster heads but more readily available and a 10hp increase (which is only half the story).

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016 16:13 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
all well and good, but what fuel are you going to use in the not so distant future
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/new-e10 ... ts/1229022