It is currently 20 Apr 2024 13:02

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015 22:39 

Current ride: BUELL 1190RX
Hi,

Im new to this forum, so apologies if posting in the wrong place.

I am looking for some technical advice. I have a 1190RS, mainly use for track racing.

Im looking to build a small off-road trailer. Im a fabricator by trade. I therefore have no problem building the chassis, but looking for advice on wheels for off-road. I do not want to go to the expense of vehicle wheels (due to cost), but want to get some basic off-road wheels.

Anybody had a similar project? also interested in whether wheel bearings would be needed.

I can find quite a lot on the web, particularly agricultural wheels, but no technical info.

If anybody has guidance or recommended suppliers for vehicles.

Thank you
Ben

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015 22:48 

Get the rear axle off a FWD van like a Renault Traffic. They unbolt really easily, cheap as chips from a scrappy, and you don't have to frig about with those horrible rubber block hubs that you see folk with on Motorways with nothing but wheelbarrow wheels fitted :shock: - often carring a valuable motorbike :o

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015 20:27 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
You can't just turn up on here asking questions like this when the real story is that you have an 1190RS for the track and an 1190RX for the road 8-) Go on, Ben, tell us about your EBRs :worthy:

Steve

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2015 02:14 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
ursus americanus wrote:
You can't just turn up on here asking questions like this when the real story is that you have an 1190RS for the track and an 1190RX for the road 8-) Go on, Ben, tell us about your EBRs :worthy:

Steve

:yt:
and a bit of a clue as to what this "small off-road trailer" is to be used for ?
Carrying stuff around the farm, small holding
How small is small , some peoples small could be other people’s big ?

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2015 18:15 
barney wrote:
ursus americanus wrote:

Steve

:yt:
and a bit of a clue as to what this "small off-road trailer" is to be used for ?

Or is it his 1190's need a trailer coz they breakdown a lot :D :rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2015 22:03 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
barney wrote:

Clues in the title of the thread, Barney but could do with some understanding of why it needs to be an off road trailer.

And wash your mouth out, Gibbsy, clue to be found as above lOl

Steve

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2015 09:16 

ursus americanus wrote:
barney wrote:

Clues in the title of the thread, Barney but could do with some understanding of why it needs to be an off road trailer.

And wash your mouth out, Gibbsy, clue to be found as above lOl

Steve

He must have a large garden with his own personal tack, hence the need for an off-road trailer to transport his track bike

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2015 21:42 

Current ride: BUELL 1190RX
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments. As mentioned on the title, the trailer is to carry the track bike. I have access to a private track/field, but its in the middle of a country estate and means towing the bike off road (Im not allowed ride the bike to access the track, hence need to tow to the track)

Steve - Sorry to disappoint, I don't have an RX, that was an error when I sent up the account and not sure how to change. I only have the one track bike (unfortunately) :(

Adam - Brilliant Idea about a VAN Rear Axle - Thanks for the advice. I've looked on ebay and found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-COMBO-VAN-1-3-CDTI-1-7-DTI-REAR-AXLE-BEAM-02-11-03-04-05-06-07-08-09-/261759760507?hash=item3cf218f87b:g:OcAAAOSwk5FU0m16

What do you think? - Its from a vauxhall combo van - would probably remove the springs.

I was previously considering fabricating the rear axle and using something like this http://www.bulldogcastors.co.uk/pneumatic-wheels/10-inch-pneumatic-wheel-260mm-trolley-barrow . Obviously it would be low cost but starting to think they would be a little light weight for the bike?

Let me know what you think of the axle on ebay. I could probably get some wheels to fit from the scrap yard.

Thanks all

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015 09:36 

have a look on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-Tra ... SwbdpWYemr

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Bike-Motocr ... SwiwVWSK~0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Motorb ... SwHQ9WYck-

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015 10:14 

Yep, that's the kind of thing, although I'm sure you could get one much cheaper. If you're lucky you'll get one with wheels too and then you won't have to use sack trolley type wheels that commercial bike trailers seem to favour.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015 20:10 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
For off road, use the largest diameter wheels you possibly can, as far apart as you possibly can. A Trafic/Vivaro/Primastar rear axle c/w wheels sounds ideal (and about one of the best things you can do with one of the hateful dustbins).

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015 22:26 

rik wrote:
For off road, use the largest diameter wheels you possibly can, as far apart as you possibly can. A Trafic/Vivaro/Primastar rear axle c/w wheels sounds ideal (and about one of the best things you can do with one of the hateful dustbins).

I nearly bought a Nissan van, thinking it would be of Jap quality, until the salesman told me it was the same as a Renault Trafic. You should have seen his face as I
walked out of the Dealership. I've owned 2 Trafics in the past, I gave one away and the other is buried in my field - this led to a Kafkaesque conversation with the DVLA

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015 09:33 

Adam wrote:
rik wrote:

I nearly bought a Nissan van, thinking it would be of Jap quality, until the salesman told me it was the same as a Renault Trafic. You should have seen his face as I
walked out of the Dealership. I've owned 2 Trafics in the past, I gave one away and the other is buried in my field - this led to a Kafkaesque conversation with the DVLA

lOl
Doesn't just apply to the vans, all Nissans now reduced in one way or another to Renault 'quality'.
The badge on the bonnet does not always tell you what lies thereunder; Caveat emptor.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015 17:33 

Do you know anything about the VW 'mooing' valve? Every time I turn the engine off, I get a mooing noise as if the fuel rail is being pressurised. It's often talked about on T5 forums, but no one seems to know how to cure it :)

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015 18:36 

Adam wrote:
Do you know anything about the VW 'mooing' valve? Every time I turn the engine off, I get a mooing noise as if the fuel rail is being pressurised. It's often talked about on T5 forums, but no one seems to know how to cure it :)

It's probably air being sucked around the 'anti shudder' valve, Adam. That's a vacuum operated butterfly in the inlet that closes on switch off to stop air flow and hence shut the motor down quickly, but especially in the event of a 'run-away'. Yet another 'essential' add-on to Felix's infernal device... :headbang:
They get mucky and coked up and then don't shut properly, or in some cases stick shut. So they need a good clean from time to time.
But the best way to stop it is sell the van, and buy one with a proper engine... lOl
Who in their right mind would buy a diesel? :roll: lOl