It is currently 19 Mar 2024 05:05

All times are UTC

Post subject: Heat grips problem !
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015 15:20 

Current ride: XB12XT
Coming home from the bike show in Dublin yesterday in wind, rain and snow showers (it was dry and bright when I left home at 9am !!) the heated on the clutch side stopped working.

Bike is 2008 model XB12XT with factory fitted heated grips.

Was working fine on full power then switched to half power and it seemed to stop - switching off and onto full power or half power again produced nothing. Too busy to mess much with it with constantly wiping visor, fog and wet on inside visor and trying to keep ahead and out of the way of fools in cages trying to kill me !

Anyone know how to troubleshoot these ? where do they connect or go to ? do they stop working like this ? are they FUBAR ? can replacement single grips be got ?

I have a multimeter and half a brain so might be able to solve with a few suggstions !!

Thanks
Eric.

'83 CX650 Custom
Green "4 Legged" SUV

Post subject: Re: Heat grips problem !
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015 15:28 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Chances are that the connectors will be behind the flyscreen as that's where my 1125 ones are, so if the connections look ok unplug the grips and compare the resistance of the one that works with the resistance of the one that doesn't. As they were a standard part on the XT they should be available still as spares.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015 15:42 

Looked at the parts catalogue I have and its part no. N0050.5AA - seems to be a connector on the end of it - so if I can find this I might try see if there is continuity from one pin thru to the other as I assume its just a simple heated wire ????? then again maybe not ?

Found page 2-146 on the Electrical manual

8 ohms resistance at high temp and 13 ohms at low temp setting. see there is a testing flow diagram too on page 2-150 !!

DOH..should have RTFM !!

Thanks

Eric.

'83 CX650 Custom
Green "4 Legged" SUV

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015 11:44 

Pulled off the panel/screen to get a the wiring/connectors.

Nothing obvious.

Opened the connector on the good side.....9 and 13 ohms resistance (black to blue and black to brown)...sprayed with a bit of wd40 and put back together.

Opened the connector on the left side (problem side)....9 and 13 ohms resistance too ?????? WTF

Sprayed with a bit of wd40 and put back together.

Started bike and turned on grips.....both seemed to heat up fine !!!!!!!!!

So not sure what was wrong that they stopped working the last time I was out....did water get in...was a wire shorting or something ???? couldnt see anything....

?????

Eric.

'83 CX650 Custom
Green "4 Legged" SUV

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2015 23:38 

Current ride: 2009 Buell XB12XT
First off never use WD40 in your switchgear.. ITS AN INSULTOR... its designed to stop elecrical crossover.. and it does this very well.... if you have ever sprayed in on a bad HT lead you know what I mean...

It will also turn your connections black... stripped and cleaned far to many switchgear over the years because people had used WD in there...

It was fine until sometime in the mid (or early) 80's when the british army wanted something stronger/better insulating to drop there alternator windings into when servicing - So the formula for WD was changed... not that this was advertised... but it definightly was changed...

And as for the modern stuff.... know plenty of mechanics who will not use it...

Oh Yes... if you use it to "lube" your cables it now freezes in the winter too..

Use a proper electrical cleaner/ lubricator to clean/ lube things... less hassle in the long run..

Hopefully a clean may get he grips working again but if not then a really good alternative for the Uly is the Kiess "Chicane" grips... same barrel shape as the originals and a much easier to grip as more "gel" like.. search for a review and mine should pop up... http://buellpaul.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2015 09:33 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
hondapaul wrote:
First off never use WD40... ...know plenty of mechanics who will not use it... ...Use a proper electrical cleaner/ lubricator to clean/ lube things...

:yup: Awful stuff, other threads on here discussing same.
Their marketing dept is working overtime finding 'new uses' for it... 'removing sticky labels'... :rotfl: ...ANY petro-solvent based aerosol will do that! :roll: