It is currently 19 Apr 2024 23:38

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009 22:16 
Site Admin

Quote:
When removing the clutch before cracking open the engine is the only solution the HD special clutch comp. tool or are there other options

XB uses a needle race basket bearing so there's no need to disassemble the clutch.....once the (LH) mainshaft nut is removed the clutch hub, complete with plates, can be removed as an assembly.

That guide is cracked.
Pinion shaft should have zero movement.
Not looking good mate :(

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009 22:51 
Maz wrote:
Quote:
When removing the clutch before cracking open the engine is the only solution the HD special clutch comp. tool or are there other options

XB uses a needle race basket bearing so there's no need to disassemble the clutch.....once the (LH) mainshaft nut is removed the clutch hub, complete with plates, can be removed as an assembly.

That guide is cracked.
Pinion shaft should have zero movement.
Not looking good mate :(

alright, thanks....we figured that much about the pinion, explains the damage......and I figure I´m up shit creek without a paddle so I might as well just dive in!!

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009 04:47 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
The pistons look as if there had been debris in the oil quite a while, Get some aftermarket oversize pistons and bore the cylinders then. The one I know of are Wiseco, but there are probably more choices.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2009 22:52 
If I understand the service manual correctly the tran. sprocket doesn´t have to be removed to split the engine, correct? and if true....what th f*ck do they glue the thing together with cause tapping it with a plastic mallet ain´t doin the trick!!

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2009 22:58 
Site Admin

Correct.....and just shite silicon.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2009 21:34 

Hi sorry to hear of your problems with the motor,you said in an earlier post that there is the possibility of a xb12 motor,do they also have the other bits required to convert to a 12,would be far cheaper route to take.....but on the other hand if you rebuild what you have ,at least you`ll know its history..good luck m8 you`ll need it... ;)

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 09:36 
Ok...more carnal damage for your viewing pleasure

I do have some side to side motion from the "piston rods" (fly wheel assembly)very minor for the outer lapping rod (says 0.8mm in the book) and a little larger for the inner rod but there is no free play in up and down motion and when holding the pinion gear in one hand and the "engine sprocket shaft" in the other there is no play in any direction from the flywheel

so I guess I´m looking at replacing the inner and outer race + gear shaft bearing too. The inner bushings for the camshaft gears have some marks too should these also be removed? Can I still use the pinion shaft or am I looking at a new flywheel assembly.

Any other ideas or could this be what started the whole ordeal??

Thanks

/Mike

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 09:40 
milkster wrote:
Hi sorry to hear of your problems with the motor,you said in an earlier post that there is the possibility of a xb12 motor,do they also have the other bits required to convert to a 12,would be far cheaper route to take.....but on the other hand if you rebuild what you have ,at least you`ll know its history..good luck m8 you`ll need it... ;)

I´ll find out on wednsday, the wreckers are getting in a 04 12 r but they don´t know what shape it´s in....everything is dependant on cost but like you say if I fix this at least I know what I got!!

And luck as it seems is something I don´t have or I wouldn´t be in this mess.... :?

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 10:42 

Current ride: Cagiva Raptor 650
If your looking at replacing the flywheel assembly I think they are about £600.
You would also need to replace all the brearings that are marked.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 11:20 

ist wrote:
I´ll find out on wednsday, the wreckers are getting in a 04 12 r but they don´t know what shape it´s in....everything is dependant on cost but like you say if I fix this at least I know what I got!!

And luck as it seems is something I don´t have or I wouldn´t be in this mess.... :?

Hand off a 2004 XB12 - first release, banana bike, ripens at the customer. Especially when you are not blessed by luck. Ask me how I know - 28000 km, pitted crankshaft pin at my red XB12. :evil: :evil: Thanksfully recongnized early enough to not do any more harm.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 11:29 

norrie wrote:
If your looking at replacing the flywheel assembly I think they are about £600.
You would also need to replace all the brearings that are marked.

... which is then every bearing and every surface getting into contact with that contaminated engine oil.

I don't know how much engines and labor cost in Sweden, but in Germany a used engine is worth about 50 hrs of labor in an independend machine shop or workshop - crankshaft bearings are comparably cheap (about 50 € each), so with all parts needed (IF the left crankshaft side inner race is okay!) there's still many hours of labor left, and you know who to kick if the engine is not running properly afterwards. Try that with a wrecker ...

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 13:24 
Site Admin

Jeez, that motor must've been very noisy for a long time.....cant believe you didn't notice :?
That's one of the worst I've seen....you're in for a world of pain with that motor.
I suspect it will need a new crank assembly as well as ALL the bearings replaced.
New oil pump, drive gears etc. etc. the swingarm and all lines will need a thorough cleaning.
Pinion bearings are a pain to set up.....they are size graded and your machine shop will need to measure acurately to 4 decimal places and then choose from 3 sizes of outer race, 2 sizes of inner race and 4 sizes of needle races and even then the outer race will probably need lapping to size/roundness/zero taper and a surface finish of 16RMS.
Dont know what an 03 blot is worth in Sweden but here that would be a write off ie. beyond economical repair.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 16:48 

Maz wrote:
ie. beyond economical repair.

But that's what separates the enthusiast from ordinary people, isn't it? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 17:06 
Site Admin

If it was a tuber, then I'd agree with you but it's only a two a penny XB ie. hardly a rare item......you could buy a much later model XB for what it'll cost to repair that 03 blot :idea:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 20:11 
Maz wrote:
Jeez, that motor must've been very noisy for a long time.....cant believe you didn't notice :?
That's one of the worst I've seen....you're in for a world of pain with that motor.
I suspect it will need a new crank assembly as well as ALL the bearings replaced.
New oil pump, drive gears etc. etc. the swingarm and all lines will need a thorough cleaning.
Pinion bearings are a pain to set up.....they are size graded and your machine shop will need to measure acurately to 4 decimal places and then choose from 3 sizes of outer race, 2 sizes of inner race and 4 sizes of needle races and even then the outer race will probably need lapping to size/roundness/zero taper and a surface finish of 16RMS.
Dont know what an 03 blot is worth in Sweden but here that would be a write off ie. beyond economical repair.

I had my 16000km service just recently and I asked the guy about the noise upfront and that I´d precived it to be louder than normal but he said it was all good and as said compared to what it sounded like from the begining there wasn´t that much difference, only really started being noisy on the way home from work the day before it died?? Started running like shit when the 02 sensor failed but after I fixed that and re-mapped it it ran like a bat outa hell....for 2 weeks...

...another wrecker had an 03 that he was willing to part with and take my wreck and some money inbetween....think that might be the only option I have right now cause financially if I write it off I´m off the road for at least 5 years :ill: