It is currently 28 Mar 2024 21:22

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2016 19:34 

Current ride: Xb12r
Hi all, seem to have an electrical problem on my firebolt. I've not experienced whilst riding the bike, as the MoT ran out a last month.

1st time I noticed it was while running it in the garage, I squeezed between the bike and the trike and brushed around the front right indicator, and the bike cut out. It restarted fine, but cut out when I brushed past again. Started it again and started playing with the bunch of wires around by the front right indicator, and found that jiggling the wires the bike would cut out, the speedo and rev counter would do their sweep as if the ignition had just been turned on, and then would restart fine. Theres a couple of joints in the wires there where the immobiliser was fitted and has now been removed, but I checked these and they seem fine.

Didn't have time to check anything else so had to leave it, and it was a few weeks before I got back out there. The next time I went out to have a look and start it, I turned the ignition on, everything lit up as normal and the speedo/rev did their usual sweep, flicked the kill switch to on and the injectors primed, pressed the starter button and nothing happened. Took a few minutes of fiddling around with the wires as before, and it started to turn over, and then fired up. This time wiggling the wires again and it didn't cut out?!

There doesn't seem to be much consistency to the problem, if it was just the wire for the starter button, surely it wouldn't make it cut out while running?

Anyone got any ideas on where to start or is it just a case of remove what I can from the front end and try feeling along the wires for any breaks? Typically my wife told me this morning she's booked it in for an MoT Thursday morning so I've got to try and sort it out quick.

And as a side note, how do you mark out where the beam pattern needs to be, I had to remove the headlights earlier in the year, and I'm not sure the main beam is now set right.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2016 21:43 
Check wires around headstock, with a multimeter if poss. They may appear intact on the insulation
but there could be a break on the wire strands

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016 19:01 

I've got a multimeter, but it's only a really cheap 1 and I've never been able to get the continuity setting to work. Haven't had time to even start looking for the problem as I'm on night shifts this week, so will have to phone up and cancel the MoT in the morning.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016 20:29 
They aren't dear to buy and can be used for other things when you've done.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016 20:46 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
If the one he has is the one I gave him it's good enough to do most things...

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016 11:25 

jiltedjohn wrote:
They aren't dear to buy and can be used for other things when you've done.

It's the 2nd cheap 1 I've bought, the 1st the wires on the probes went a bit dodgy after a few months, giving dodgy readings, depending on how you were holding the probes. This 2nd one seems ok but no idea about getting the continuity bit to work. Probably something simple I'm doing wrong.

pash wrote:
If the one he has is the one I gave him it's good enough to do most things...

You gave me one? Don't suppose you know how long ago? Might still be in dads garage, so will have a check next time I'm down. 5 years since I moved up here and I still can't find half my tools and stuff.