It is currently 27 Apr 2024 03:16

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Shielding Gas
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 15:07 

My Air Products contract is up for renewal and I'm not sure if I want to renew or get another contract with BOC. Are there any preferences between welding with Argoshield (light or Universal) or Coogar 5? Prices are similar. Your thoughts on a postcard to................

Post subject: Re: Shielding Gas
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 15:16 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
How much do these contracts cost? I have an oxy-acetylene kit which was passed to me, but the bottles need re-filling. I think they may be BOC bottles, but I would rather take advice before getting in touch with BOC.

Cheers

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 15:30 

Not thinking of using novel methods to cook your own pig in a couple of weeks, are you? :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 16:45 

pash wrote:
How much do these contracts cost? I have an oxy-acetylene kit which was passed to me, but the bottles need re-filling. I think they may be BOC bottles, but I would rather take advice before getting in touch with BOC.

Cheers

Air Products Rental for a large bottle of COOGAR is a touch over £80 PA. If you've got the bottles you can decant acetylene from someone who has a contract. This is very dangerous (but commonly done ;) )

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 16:46 

Norm wrote:
Not thinking of using novel methods to cook your own pig in a couple of weeks, are you? :lol: :lol:

:hehe:
No fear, it'd ruin my sex life :o :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 17:02 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
:rofl: :old:

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 17:07 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
Well, you've got to hand it to him...

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 17:12 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
Motorrad wrote:
Well, you've got to hand it to him...

You'd have to really, cos he couldn't pick it up himself :P

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 17:28 

Hi Adam,

Have always found for general purpose stuff that the higher CO2 content of Argoshield Universal gives a better weld than either Argoshield light or Coogar5. The comparitive AP product is Coogar20. If most of your welding is on less than 4 mm, however, stick to light or c5. I think most welders would be VERY hard pressed to notice the difference between Air Products and BOC gases. I've always gone with who would give best rates/service/etc in the past. I haven't dealt with BOC since they were taken over by Linde though.

hth

Richard

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 17:59 

Lordfenwick wrote:
Hi Adam,

Have always found for general purpose stuff that the higher CO2 content of Argoshield Universal gives a better weld than either Argoshield light or Coogar5. The comparitive AP product is Coogar20. If most of your welding is on less than 4 mm, however, stick to light or c5. I think most welders would be VERY hard pressed to notice the difference between Air Products and BOC gases. I've always gone with who would give best rates/service/etc in the past. I haven't dealt with BOC since they were taken over by Linde though.

hth

Richard

You've confirmed what I thought there. I've managed to wangle a nice little skive at work where I teach a Welding course on a Wednesday morning, at a local FE college, as long as I can take a couple of the scrotes from my school with me. They use Coogar 15 and that's struck me as an excellent all round gas. You're right, at home for light stuff, I'd probably be better off sticking with the Coogar 5. Cheers 8-)

BTW, what's the problem with Linde :?: - I've never heard of them :?

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 18:05 

Adam wrote:
Lordfenwick wrote:
Hi Adam,

hth

Richard

You've confirmed what I thought there. I've managed to wangle a nice little skive at work where I teach a Welding course on a Wednesday morning, at a local FE college, as long as I can take a couple of the scrotes from my school with me. They use Coogar 15 and that's struck me as an excellent all round gas. You're right, at home for light stuff, I'd probably be better off sticking with the Coogar 5. Cheers 8-)

BTW, what's the problem with Linde :?: - I've never heard of them :?

Bunch of bloody Nazis :roll: Spoke to a guy who works in the industry the other day- Air products and BOC cross supply wherever either doesn't have a plant so I guess that it prolly would be difficult to tell either apart.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 18:57 
The Nagged Hubby

Adam, I use BOC light at work at the mo. Not much in it but I do prefere the air products bottles as in shrouded valves should one get knocked over!
Air products do ferromax in a smaller bottle at higher pressure with a built in reg, now that is good stuff in a great package but holds more than a standard bottle.

Nate.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 19:42 

Nate wrote:
Adam, I use BOC light at work at the mo. Not much in it but I do prefere the air products bottles as in shrouded valves should one get knocked over!
Air products do ferromax in a smaller bottle at higher pressure with a built in reg, now that is good stuff in a great package but holds more than a standard bottle.

Nate.

I've seen your welding. V.nice :yup: 8-)

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 20:22 
The Nagged Hubby

Adam wrote:
Nate wrote:

Nate.

I've seen your welding. V.nice :yup: 8-)

That was a bit of crappy TIG not MIG. I took some of my work for x-ray last year, I came away very very humbled I can tell ya!

N.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2009 08:36 

Current ride: Lots
Nate wrote:

That was a bit of crappy TIG not MIG. I took some of my work for x-ray last year, I came away very very humbled I can tell ya!

N.

Don't work for Metmachex do you? :twisted: :lol: :lol: