It is currently 24 Apr 2024 19:29

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Any coincidence?
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009 10:00 

Put a new battery (Genuine)on my M2 two months ago - went to get on it on Friday and it's flat.
Found - after recharging - that there was no charging from the bike. Stator resistance is about 0.1 Ohms and its kicking out just over 50 volts at 2K rpm.
Reconnected the regulator and had no volts on the output lead - regulator body has zero resistance to earth which is OK.
So I think that the regulator has had it - am a bit annoyed as I changed the battery to prevent reg. failure even tho' it was working fine!
This leaves me a bit suspicious about the new battery - having said this, it takes a charge off my mains charger at 4 amps from flat falling below 2amps after some hours so doesn't seem to be shorted.
I'm wary of fitting a new regulator only to have it fail again so have checked for wiring shorts and all seems OK.
Is there anything else I can reasonably check or do to make sure I don't have something wrong which will take out a new regulator?

Post subject: Re: Any coincidence?
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009 10:44 
The Nagged Hubby

Just on a side note friend, be carefull how much you charge a battery by.
Not saying you done wrong but most normal car battery chargers bollock to much current out for small bike batteries.

No more than 10% charge rate to the batts capacity.

So if a bike uses a 10 amp/hour batt it should receive no more than 1amp charging current. Tis a good rule of thumb.

Just a heads up folks :yup:

N.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009 11:29 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
Nate wrote:

How does the bike itself handle this? IMO there's no device at the bike to control battery charging current.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009 11:48 
The Nagged Hubby

gunter wrote:
Nate wrote:

How does the bike itself handle this? IMO there's no device at the bike to control battery charging current.

Dear Gunter, I added it is a good rule of thumb or safety margin.

Chaging current on the bike is controlled by the regulator, no?

It is possible to use a large battery charger say for a tractor and still someone could connect it to a small bike battery.

I have seen batteries esp gell filled ruined by this, I have seen many batteries last years and years on a regular trickle of mA.

I'm not proposing a new law to which we all should abide, just passing on my experience and how I was taught friend :eat:

N.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009 12:55 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
Nate wrote:
Dear Gunter, I added it is a good rule of thumb or safety margin.

Chaging current on the bike is controlled by the regulator, no?

No offense intended, sorry if it sounded that way. I often read about limiting current when charging a battery externally, but I don't understand then, why the charging system of the bike looks so different.

I'm not sure the voltage regulator limits current also. From the one I opened I don't think the regulator is working that way. Between the regulator and the battery is no further device, and the regulator can't differ between a high beam switched on or an empty battery, it's all the same wire and current is current, wherever it might flow to.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009 13:34 

:idea: I've always thought that - in the short term - a heavy current is used to replace the effort of starting but then as the internal resistance/voltage of the battery rises the current will naturally fall to a couple of amps which is OK for a 19Ah battery.
:D Anyway - stop hi - jacking my thread --- can anybody offer me any advice or reassurance that I've taken all reasonable steps? Oh and what is that that kills these regulators anyway? (Apart from crap quality!)

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009 19:29 
The Nagged Hubby

paulalig wrote:
:idea: I've always thought that - in the short term - a heavy current is used to replace the effort of starting but then as the internal resistance/voltage of the battery rises the current will naturally fall to a couple of amps which is OK for a 19Ah battery.
:D Anyway - stop hi - jacking my thread --- can anybody offer me any advice or reassurance that I've taken all reasonable steps? Oh and what is that that kills these regulators anyway? (Apart from crap quality!)

Sorry for the Hi jack :oooops:

I don't believe changing the battery is a method to protect the reg/rec but thats just my opinion etc. Are the reading you took with in speck for the genny? If so and there is no external diode to check and you have no out put from the reg/rec it sure would point to it's failure but hey I ain't no expert :yup:

Gunter my knowledable friend, how I have under stood it a battery will allow current to flow through it more so than trying to ram it full of stored charge. Eg if a person was to grab a power line they will apart from being fried will allow alot of current to flow through them. But if you tried to charge a person up to hold a similar capacity of stored electric they would make for a very poor battery.
HTH and sorry once more Paul :worthy:

N.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009 20:48 

Current ride: m2/xbr/xbx
new reg rec is about £80 priced one up for nsfs & barni

FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF DARK

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009 22:18 

Regulator failure is a common problem. Speak to Maz

Pity he's not doing mail order anymore :(