It is currently 20 Apr 2024 14:04

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009 09:50 
just done the brakes using a GSXR front m/cylinder/lever,i've put dot 4 in when it says in manual dot 5 only,is that a problem,i think it's only dot 5.1,you cant use as it buggers the seals
sencondly i've been putting mini indicators,back ones went on,tested,fine,did front ones tested,3 flashes then blew fuse,idea's???

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009 09:58 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Hmm, there was a post about this the other day. You should not put 4 (or 5.1) into a system designed for 5. You theoretically can put 5 into a system designed for 4. And to confuse matters, 5.1 is the new 4.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=982&hilit=dot&start=0

I have just changed the seals in my 5 system, which had been filled with what looks to be 4. The seals had swelled and the brake caliper pistons were sticking.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009 17:03 

DOT5.1 is acceptable on a system designed for DOT4, but DOT5 is not. Read the link which Pash posted then kick yourself for not reading it first. Then set about changing your seals, hoses, calipers etc

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009 17:14 
I knew it was going to bloody well,i thought that all fluids compatable with each other ,except Dot5.1
the gsxr front m/cyllinder says dot 4 only,front caliper dot 5 only,i s'pose that i will discover that the triumph real caliper i've fitted will be the wrong fluid type too!!!
bollocks.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009 17:44 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
You can use DOT5 in a DOT4 (or 5.1) system.

What other kit do you have in the system?

You have a DOT4 master cylinder - no need to change seals
You have a DOT5 caliper (the Buell one I guess) - best to change the seals
You have a ???? line - if it is a Goodridge one, no issues, as long as you blow it through with an airline

Just fill the system with DOT5 and the job's a goodun...

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009 18:11 
cheers pash,have stripped both systems and drained lines etc, fluid was only in for 3 days,hopefully seals may not be effected.but will phone local stealers to be told a seal kit will be 3 months I expect, happy days,TBH i'm pissed about it as i mentioned the difference at Laguna's whilst picking up the fluid and was told it was O.K,at 43 yrs old you'd have thought I'd have learnt to ignore the idiots and find out for myself.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009 16:42 
right I've spoken to an informed bloke today who phoned the manafacturer of the brake fluid,as stated Dot 3 , 4 and 5.1 are intermixable,Dot 5 is not,but if you flush out either system you can then use either fluid type, to flush out system you need to use denatured alcohol,or meth spririts to you and me,apparently the seals will not swell as dot 4 makes seals swell and dot 5 doesn't so they put an additive in the dot 5 to make the seals swell.The sticking seals is down to the jelly/Rhino snot properties formed when the two different fluids mix.
luckily i drink meths with the boys under the railway bridge so a night off the booze and i should have my brakes back.
If you know different can you let me know as I'd rather get pissed on the blue fire liquid with the boys :D

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009 19:38 
trying to find fault with indicators,rear ones don't blow fuse both fronts do, testing continuity of circuit and both purple/brown and the black,both wires are recording 0 when earthed,is this right?