It is currently 29 Mar 2024 08:27

All times are UTC

Post subject: 08 Uly Misfire
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2012 21:14 

Current ride: Buell Ulysses XB12XT
Hi All,

Got my '08 Uly misfiring. It started last week when we had a bout of really cold weather and I started my bike. It ran fine for a few seconds and then started misfiring as if it were running on one cylinder. I letr it run for a while to see if it would clear but it persisted. I then pulled the iridium plugs out and replaced them with new HD gold ones and the bike ran fine for the rest of the week. Yesterday I gave the bike a bath and when I started her to move her I got the same symptoms again. This time I left her for a couple of hours and then started her again, after which she ran smoother but now has the occassional backfire/pop on idle with a sense that it wants to cut out every now and then. I also get a strong smell of petrol every now and then which tells me that it may be flooding for whatever reason.

I have the following suspicions:

1) faulty plug lead.

The only thing that "leads" (excuse the pun) me to doubt this would be ..... why if it were a faulty plug lead, run perfectly fine for a week after changing the plugs and then fail again?

2) leaky injector

This is still in the back of my mind, however, why would start and run fine for a few seconds and then start misfiring as opposed to not starting at all?

3) faulty exhaust

Have had a few comments to say that the standard exhaust sounds very "throaty" for a standard can. The exterior of the can is pretty flakey (with rust) but it is still pretty solid and when she is running fine, if I put my hand over the outlet I don't hear any leaks and if held for long enough the bike will cut out which as far as I am concerned is normal. What it doesn't tell me is whether or not everything inside is rusted to bits and I am running a hollowed out silencer permenantly which does not work well in freezing weather.

Ant advice would be appreciated guys.

Post subject: Re: 08 Uly Misfire
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2012 21:37 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Front plug leads wear through on the tickover adjustment screw. The current will flow down the path of least resistance. As the plug lead wears, it gradually becomes the path of least resistance.

Not sure if this is your problem but worth checking.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2012 21:54 

Thanks Pash,

Will take a look in the morning. If that is the case then it will make sense why it was fine after I changed the plugs because I would have displaced the front lead ... for a little while anyway.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012 01:49 
Site Admin

08 bikes dont have a remote idle cable :idea:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012 05:43 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Should have asked if was 08 model or 08 reg (but 07 or even 06 model).

However looking through previous posts it is indeed an 08 model, so as Maz points out it is not a HT lead chaffed on the idle adjuster.

:coat:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012 19:24 

Yes Pash, its an '08 reg (DDI3).

I have opened a seperate post with a summary of all the issue sI am seeing, including error codes I managed to get from the bike and the post can be found at the following link (however Pash being the eagle eye he is he has probably already spotted it ;0)

http://www.ukbeg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13572