It is currently 25 Apr 2024 21:12

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: X1 twin disc setup
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012 17:13 

Current ride: X1 Lightning
battyone wrote:
Epoxy quite often leaves pinholes- down to it's low viscosity and high surface tension.Unless you are using a thickened epoxy in which case it probably needs degassing under vacuum after mixing.Also needs curing under pressure-in a vacuum bag.

You can just use polyester resin if you're going to make a new one from scratch,much simpler to use,just doesn't quite have the ultimate strength of epoxy,but is that really necessary for a filter cover?

If you need any help give me a shout,been fiddling with epoxy and carbon,kevlar etc for about 10 years. Just making moulds and new panels for the 1125.

Thanks for the offer of help Nige.

I think I'm going to be okay this time starting from scratch with a male mould and will use a roller to work the resin into the carbon twill and bond the layers together as flat as a flat thing having first stippled the resin into the twill with a brush. The hardest bit is going to be laying down the final layer of twill in such a way as doesn't cause any pulls or rucks as it takes up the contours of the air box.

Richard

Attachments:
Air box mould 001.jpg
Air box mould 001.jpg [ 73.52 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012 18:51 

Current ride: 1125r -stretched
Get some fibreglass cloth and practice with that,loads cheaper.

Lay cloth on plastic sheets for impregnating with resin,use a spreader to work resin in then lift whole-plastic and reinforcement cloth- to your former and drape.
you can use masking tape on cut edges to hold cloth together until you get resin on,this stops cloth falling apart.once the cloth is properly wetted the tape will come off.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012 20:43 

Current ride: Pushbike!
Thanks for the detailed reply Richard! :yup: I thought those headers looks coated. Nice.
Good luck with your composites. ;) Battyone is bang on with his comments regarding de-gassing, it's been a problem for boat builders for quite some time.
For messing about with carbon and epoxy, you realy need a vac pump.

Regarding the wavey discs, I spoke to the Guys who have been making the brake parts for my car project last week, they also do stuff for Moto GP and BSB, and as I suspected they can't see why there would be any advantage with them.

I would rather believe those Guys than the marketing video. lOl

Oh and I got to ride my bike for the first time. :D
First impression, loads of torque, nice. Second impression, fook! The brakes are crap! :shock: lOl

Regards,
Mick.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012 13:32 

battyone wrote:
Get some fibreglass cloth and practice with that,loads cheaper.

Lay cloth on plastic sheets for impregnating with resin,use a spreader to work resin in then lift whole-plastic and reinforcement cloth- to your former and drape.
you can use masking tape on cut edges to hold cloth together until you get resin on,this stops cloth falling apart.once the cloth is properly wetted the tape will come off.

Thanks for the advice regarding the plastic sheet backing Nige - which I assume will have to be removed before I start draping the initially 2 dimensional sheet of carbon twill over the 3 dimensional air box former since most plastic sheet would soon start folding and rucking in such circumstances. Anyhow ..... would cling film suffice for this purpose?

Richard

PS - My apologies to other members for sidetracking the orginal purpose of this thread - fitting 2 disks on the front wheel of an X1.

PPS - The photo is of my failed attempt to re-skin my damaged carbon fibre air box to a good standard. :oooops: Better luck with the "made from scratch" new one I hope. :)

Attachments:
Carbon fibre 003.jpg
Carbon fibre 003.jpg [ 117.92 KiB | Viewed 458 times ]
Buell damage 005.jpg
Buell damage 005.jpg [ 121.91 KiB | Viewed 458 times ]
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012 13:50 

greasemonkey wrote:
one of the advantages of a twin rotor set-up Richard, is the degree of control they give you, (well my set up do anyways) ,,I've grabbed a handfull on ice coming back over Saddleworth from The Emporium, and because of that degree of control, both myself and Beastie are still in one piece, I have a Pretech caliper and EBC rotor set up, and it really is the bollox 8-) 8-) 8-)

Sorry for not responding sooner .... your reply slipped in under my radar. :headbang:

Anyhow, thanks for your comments. Your twin disk setup looks great.

I'm assuming that a single disk setup ( as standard ) imposes a slight twisting force on the front wheel under braking which is not normally a problem when tootling along fully upright and in a straight line but can be an issue when cranked over under very heavy braking?

Richard

PS - I once grabbed a handful on ice but, thankfully, she missed me with both punches and neither she nor the ice rink owner insisted on pressing charges. :D

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012 17:15 

greasemonkey wrote:
lOl
,,the "sitting upright" whilst braking cranked over I only ever noticed on the mini-moto,
,,whilst overtaking my mate on his raptor on a roundy-bout on the way to Squires,,,,,damn thing sat bolt upright, and I was heading off down the sliproad to the M1 lOl
,,standard X1 setup with EBC disc worked fine,,,

Silly me! :?

I meant to say ..... whilst cranked over and braking lightly or fully upright and under heavy braking - since heavy braking whilst cranked over will ensure you a prompt appointment with the grim reaper.

Richard

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012 21:12 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I think the Italians are discussing it too:

http://www.devilstars.com/forum/viewtop ... eb1898fe5d