It is currently 25 Apr 2024 18:51

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 19:48 

Current ride: Cagiva Raptor 650
I meeant the amber engine light.
According to my manual it comes on for 4 seconds and when it comes on the engine management system runs a series of self-diagnostics.
If the lamp remains on or if it begins blinking there's a problem.
I just remember someone telling me to always wait until the light goes out before starting it.
It can't hurt to try it also I would do a TPS reset and then take it out for a run and sit at a constant speed for about 20 miles to let the ECM take everything on board and see how it runs after that.
Failing that, your still not happy and you want to get it sorted I would book it in with Maz.
Yes I know it's a long way away if you stay near Mitch but it would be the best money you've ever spent.
Maz works on these bikes every day and I would be suprised if he dosen't know what's wrong with it.
You've already spent a lot of money and got nowhere so spend a little bit more and get it sorted even if he has to refit everything you've already had fitted.
I'm pretty sure he recommends the exhaust you have so you're okay there.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 22:16 

norrie wrote:
Failing that, your still not happy and you want to get it sorted I would book it in with Maz.

I'd pay good money for tickets to that one! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 23:07 
its it day one of xb owership to learn to fire up the bike after the light goes out - why

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2009 09:27 
You should have listened at the beginning and put a couple of thousand miles on your bike as standard before you starting adding 'performance bling'.

Why has your exhaust fallen out already? Didn't you do a 'How to' when you fitted it?
Probably need to get someone who knows what their doing to have a look at it and while your at it put your spanners in the bin.

IMO :D

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2009 13:06 

RTFM

Table of contents > Controls and indicators > Fuel injection > Check Engine Lamp

It's on page 25 in mine.

HTH

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009 20:45 
Pete wrote:
RTFM

Table of contents > Controls and indicators > Fuel injection > Check Engine Lamp

It's on page 25 in mine.

HTH

Well before you go and start criticizing Pete maybe you have a different manual to myself? Can't find what you seem to have in yours?

What's HTH?

Also I specifically asked when I collected my bike what, if any, start up sequence I need to know, was told start like any other bike! Since this engine management light has been mentioned I'm going to monitor this problem and start the bike after the engine management light has gone out and we'll see what happens cause MAYBE I've been starting the bike too early?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009 20:49 
The Nagged Hubby

Think HTH means hope this helps etc.

Sure would be nice if starting to early is the problem, should settle down soon I hope.

N.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009 20:52 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I always thought HTH was Heart to Heart, like you were feeling his pain... :oooops:

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009 20:56 
Spook wrote:
You should have listened at the beginning and put a couple of thousand miles on your bike as standard before you starting adding 'performance bling'.

Why has your exhaust fallen out already? Didn't you do a 'How to' when you fitted it?
Probably need to get someone who knows what their doing to have a look at it and while your at it put your spanners in the bin.

IMO :D

Mmm Spook how you doubt me?

Sounds a bit hypocritical you criticizing me for putting "performance bling" on my bike so soon considering it was you who told me about the exhaust system for sale in the first place? Didn't here you mention not to fit exhaust until i've done at least 2000 miles on my bike first - did you?? If it's that important why didn't you say something then?

I fail to see why waiting another 1000 miles would make any difference to the bike when I changed the exhaust? I've done about 400 miles on it without problem until last Sunday! Those nuts were tight but hey could they have rattled loose by any chance? It did pass the 1st service/inspection/test ride OK from HD only a few miles previously!

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009 21:07 
Just to bring those who are following up to date. HD have had my bike for two days now and can't find anything wrong, IE no error codes were retrieved. They went through everything they said and can't find anything wrong - EXCEPT the "non standard mods" I've fitted = FS exhaust system, Powerizer and Pipercross filter may be to blame!!! I made it VERY clear to them that this problem only occurred since Sunday's episode and the other bits were only fitted on Wednesday, the day before they worked on the bike - so the Powerizer and Filter had nothing to do with it - infact made my bike run much better!

They also told me that my bike is now fueling too much - IE to rich - so must be the "non standard mods" I've fitted - CRAP!! My bike is running so much better apart from this intermittent problem since Sunday! They are trying to say that the fault is not with my bike but with the "non standard mods" IE they don't approve these mods it would seem? - thats rich coming from these guys who didn't know the engine had to be dropped in order to change the headers a few months ago?

Anyway, will see how it goes!

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009 21:25 
The Nagged Hubby

Try swaping your relays around and or earth the engine direct from the Batt temp like to just see if anything changes for the better.
Don't worry about putting the bits on so early.
N.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009 21:40 

ph4824 wrote:
Also I specifically asked when I collected my bike what, if any, start up sequence I need to know, was told start like any other bike!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How about... on my other bikes, I need to wait for the lights to go out... :yup:

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009 23:56 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
pash wrote:
I always thought HTH was Heart to Heart, like you were feeling his pain... :oooops:

Pash,
You win a puppy for that response. :D

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009 18:37 
Norm wrote:
ph4824 wrote:
Also I specifically asked when I collected my bike what, if any, start up sequence I need to know, was told start like any other bike!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How about... on my other bikes, I need to wait for the lights to go out... :yup:

Yes you might be right - hope you are actually!

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009 18:49 
Site Admin

No reason what so ever to wait for the CEL to go out before starting.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR