It is currently 23 Apr 2024 22:58

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 16:39 
Thought it was the fuel I put in but filled up with different fuel now and have experienced same problem again. When this problem occurs my bike runs lumpy on tickover, it rides crap also, flat when excellerating like it's lost a few horses! Tickover can be so bad that I keep hearing squeeks from the airbox area and the bike has frequently started cutting out. Pulling away requires more revs or it feels like it will stall. When this happens and I'm in traffic it's a nightmare, have to keep blipping the throttle to prevent engine stalling.

It happened twice today when I was in traffic and the bike was hot after a longish run. Rode through traffic with no noticeable problem at first, stopped for 10min and when I got back on the bike it was like a completely different bike, lumpy, cutting out etc. Eventually got onto open road and after a few miles it all reverted back to normal running. Seems to me that it's heat related cause when I hit traffic again the bike started to play up. I have the complete Free Spirits Exhaust system and today fitted the Powerizer and Pipercross which are both on loan (runs better with them fitted).

Bike played up last Sunday also. Cold start, lumpy tickover, running poorly. Stopped for a drink - about an hour, did a TPS reset then started her up = lumpy, cutting out more frequently at tickover but seemed to improve the more I rode the bike.

Spoke to HD, they will have a look but may want the bike back to standard!

Any ideas?

Last edited by ph4824 on 24 Jun 2009 17:13, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 16:44 

One comment I haven't seen from you is a complaint about the noise of the fan. Can you hear your fan actually running?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 16:48 
Norm wrote:
One comment I haven't seen from you is a complaint about the noise of the fan. Can you hear your fan actually running?

Hi Norm, I think you must have me mixed up with someone else cause I've never complained about my fan! It works every time I stop and I'm sure I felt it today as I was riding cause my ass was getting VERY warm. So I think the fan seems to be doing it's job.

I have had the odd experience where the bike has cut out. Last Friday it cut out when I just starting to roll away from cold start. However it has become alot worse since Sunday when I noticed the exhaust note getting noisier which turned to popping. Pulled over and found the front exhaust header out of the cylinder cause the nuts had rattled loose and fallen off. Probably done about 100 miles since then. Ran poor for quite a few miles since then but has gradually got better overall with the odd occasion of cutting out and running badly. But today it came back - twice when in traffic and bike was very hot.

Last edited by ph4824 on 24 Jun 2009 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 16:58 
have you fitted a 2nd air scoop on the off side of the bike ???

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 17:00 
mcrbuelligan wrote:
have you fitted a 2nd air scoop on the off side of the bike ???

No not yet! Have been thinking about it though.

Read my last post as I explained abit more.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 17:02 

ph4824 wrote:
Norm wrote:

Hi Norm, I think you must have me mixed up with someone else cause I've never complained about my fan!

:?

I asked if your fan works because I have never seen you complain about the noise, and you answer that I've mixed you with someone else because you have never complained.

:ffs: again

Put it back to standard and see if you still have a problem.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 17:08 
Norm wrote:
ph4824 wrote:
Norm wrote:

Hi Norm, I think you must have me mixed up with someone else cause I've never complained about my fan!

:?

I asked if your fan works because I have never seen you complain about the noise, and you answer that I've mixed you with someone else because you have never complained.

:ffs: again

Put it back to standard and see if you still have a problem.

Sorry my fault - I read it wrong!
Thought you had seen a post about me complaining about the fan!

Putting the bike back to standard means dropping the engine! Not keen on that as thats a big job especially at this early stage. I know it's not the powerizer or the filter cause thats been added since the problem began. Just wondered if anyone else has had same problem?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 17:19 
i think thats a no - norm :)

i had the same few problems ie - down headers hang off and cutting out - though i thought it was to do with my choice of exhuast and not letting the bike warm-up for i ride it

so now after fitting a 2nd scoop and a change of exhaust to a homemade one and i warm the bike up and dont go mad for the first few miles and a change of oil's every 2500 - the bike runs better

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 17:26 
The Nagged Hubby

Have you checked your HT leads?
Take the left scoop off and run the bike in a dark place and look up at the leads and see if you can see any leaking spark, use a small mirror and don't burn your head!

As you mentioned dropping the engine is it possible you may of pulled or crushed a cable?

N.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 18:09 
mcrbuelligan wrote:
i think thats a no - norm :)

i had the same few problems ie - down headers hang off and cutting out - though i thought it was to do with my choice of exhuast and not letting the bike warm-up for i ride it

so now after fitting a 2nd scoop and a change of exhaust to a homemade one and i warm the bike up and dont go mad for the first few miles and a change of oil's every 2500 - the bike runs better

Not sure how that applies to my situation cause my exhaust is sold for my bike - so there should be no problems. 2nd scoop seems a good idea considering how hot these engines get in the summer! I never rake my bike from cold, always allow an initial warm up. Bike cutting out has happened within seconds of starting the bike and leaving on tickover. Bike has recently gone in for it's first service so oil change should not be an issue.

Last edited by ph4824 on 24 Jun 2009 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 18:11 
Nate wrote:
Have you checked your HT leads?
Take the left scoop off and run the bike in a dark place and look up at the leads and see if you can see any leaking spark, use a small mirror and don't burn your head!

As you mentioned dropping the engine is it possible you may of pulled or crushed a cable?

No I have not checked my HT leads. Is it possible that a lead has pulled or crushed? Well anything is possible I guess but exhaust was changed over about 400 miles ago. Strange how this has really got worse since header undone and came out of manifold?

Strange thing is the night before I removed the airbox to try & fit the borrowed Powerizer. I stopped when I realised I had to drop the exhaust can cause the header was blocking the removal of a screw holding the R/H plastic trim which needed removing. Never touched the exaust. Next day it came out!!! I've since undone the airbox 3 times to check and make sure everything is put back properly - everything looks good.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 18:44 

Current ride: Cagiva Raptor 650
Can I ask when you switch the ignition on do you wait for the red engine light to go out as you should?
Why are you fitting more items when the bikes not running properly?
You need to get the bike running properly before mucking about with it any more.
Are there any fault codes stored and if it's a new bike take it back to Harley?
Regardless of if it's got a different exhaust etc they shoul still check it for fault codes etc although you can do it yourself although I'm not sure on the later bikes.
How long did you wait before fitting the exhaust etc?
Are you sure the bike was okay before fitting all these parts?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 18:52 
Hi Norrie

Can I ask when you switch the ignition on do you wait for the red engine light to go out as you should?
I've never waited for the light to go out, didn't know it went out?

Why are you fitting more items when the bikes not running properly?
Opportunity really. Had a chance to fit the powerizer whilst Blackbird was away. Bike ran ok before exhaust fell out of manifold.

You need to get the bike running properly before mucking about with it any more.
I agree

Are there any fault codes stored and if it's a new bike take it back to Harley?
Engine light has never come on when these faults occur. Don't know if there are any faults stored?

How long did you wait before fitting the exhaust etc?
Exhaust was fitted around 900 miles on clocks.

Are you sure the bike was okay before fitting all these parts?
Bike has always randomly misfired when I've blipped the throttle, but others I've tried have done the same. Bike has cut out on the odd occasion but nothing like it's doing now since Sunday. I've ridden about 80miles today, most of which the bikes has run very well except for when it's got hot in traffic.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 18:56 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
If it's heat-related, one might expect the opposite effect: too much heat, and the engine will run on a single cylinder until it cools off, and you will get a blinking trouble light when this happens.
Here's what the trusty service manual has to suggest:

Starts But Runs Irregularly or Misses
NOTE
See 4.15 MISFIRE for specific tests.
1. Spark plugs in bad condition or partially fouled.
2. Spark plug cables in bad condition and shorting.
3. Spark plug gap too close or too wide.
4. Ignition coil not functioning.
5. Ignition module not functioning.
6. Ignition sensor not functioning.
7. Battery nearly discharged.
8. Damaged wire or loose connection at battery terminals
or coil.
9. Intermittent short circuit due to damaged wire insulation.
10. Water or dirt in fuel system and throttle body or filter.
11. Vapor vent valve plugged.
12. Throttle controls improperly adjusted.
13. Air leak at intake manifold or air filter.
14. Damaged intake or exhaust valve.
15. Weak or broken valve springs.
16. Incorrect valve timing.
17. Oxygen, IAT or ET sensors damaged or malfunctioning.
See dealer.
18. TP Sensor not set properly. See dealer.
19. Fuel level too low. Add gasoline.
20. Inoperative fuel injector. See dealer.
21. Obstructed fuel tank vent valve or pinched vent tube.
See dealer.

Lots to check! ps not only can Norrie type faster, but he has good questions!

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 19:03 
Thanks Motorrad - lots to check! I've tried the TPS reset but not sure if it's worked cause it never seems any different afterwards.

Norrie: you mentioned I need to wait for the red engine management light to go out before starting the bike. I've just read the manual page 53 and it mentioned nothing about this. When I bought my bike I asked if there was a startup sequence apart from the norm and was told start the bike as you would any other.

Just read the Trouble Shooting guide in the manual
Mentioned O2 sensor, also under poor fuel economy says O2 sensor. well my reservice fuell light came on today at about 138miles. I have got about 150 before!

Thing is my bike has recently had it's first service @ 1200miles, just under 3 weeks ago. Ridden about 200 since, 150 since Sunday.