It is currently 24 Apr 2024 19:05

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: 2003 bolt won't start
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009 15:26 

Good as gold this morning. Stopped for petrol just before work and it refused to start.
Turn the key, dials move OK, fuel pump OK, push the button and nothing but a relay sounding CLICK when I take my thumb off the button.

I've got to get it started tonight or I'll be stuck at work :(

Any ideas of a quick fix? Could it be a relay or does it sound like a shagged starter?

Help appreciated, cheers,
Newts

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009 15:45 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
Quick fix: charge battery, will last about 50-80 mls.
Not-so-quick fix: check connector 77 (black two-pin behind sprocket cover, connects Vreg DC to bike), these connectors fail (melt inside) sometimes and connection is broken.

If this is all fine, come back to the forum and ask for further instructions :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009 16:51 
The Nagged Hubby

Exactly what happened to me, swap a relay and see if it turns over, if so you need a relay. Got one here new, pm me if you need it.

Nate.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009 16:54 

Cheers. So if its a relay, can I bridge the connectors with a trusty spanner to get me home? If so which ones?
Nate - do you know if I can swap it out with another relay from elsewhere on the bike? I don't know where it (the relay) is, either.

Cheers,
Newts

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009 17:00 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
How old is the battery? Was it starting strong this morning and earlier?

Quick, easy things to check:

What Nate said^^^You could try swapping location of a couple of the grey relays inside the fusebox. That might tell you if one is bad.

Check your fuses.

Sounds battery-ish, but if your guages sweep strongly and the pump is priming, the thing's not totally dead. What instrument lights come on with the key turned?

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009 17:11 

I'm sure it's not the battery. I use an optimate after having plenty of trouble in the past and it fired up strong, rode for an hour, stopped for petrol and now I'm stuck!

I'll have a swap around of the relays, if I can find them.

There is one loud click when I take my thumb off the start button. Don't know if this is a relay or solenoid (or what the difference is)...

Any ideas on bridging connectors? Done this in the past on a car and did the job.

Cheers,
Newts

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009 17:33 

Well the bloody thing works now and I've done nothing! Not complaining tho...

I think (and it hurts) that the problem must be right near the starter itslef. That's where the loud click was coming from when I took my thumb off the start button.

Now it's working, there's 2 loud clicks (in amongst the engine noise). One when I press the button in and one when I lift off.
So this sounds like a dodgey solenoid?

Does any of this sound familiar (Nate)

Hope it still works when I need to get home at 8pm

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009 19:15 

If it's the solenoid or starter relay, you might want to get this:

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009 21:05 
The Nagged Hubby

Sorry N9 been out. When it happened to me at a fuel pump it was completly dead, not the batt but the starter button. Also the dip beam was not working which runs from the same relay, thats why the head light switches off as you thumb the starter.
The relays are in the fuse box, three of them. You can swap them and there should be a sticker saying which is which. There should/could be room to carry a spare in there too!!
If you do swap one you will be taking one from the injection or ignition IIRC so you may shift the problem else where but it will help diagnose.
The starter solenoid could still click with a dodgy relay!

Other than that the most lickley other cause would be the batt has/is letting go!

Let us know how you go on. The fuse box is under your arse :yup:

Nate.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009 21:09 
The Nagged Hubby

In my opinion the starter solenoid has alot of draw through that tiny relay, on inspecting my old relay inside there was alot of burn on the tiny contacts. I even cleaned them up a few times and it was a succes but would not last. Eventually I had to get a new relay and problem went away.

N.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009 13:52 

Ahhh. Good stuff. It worked fine this morning. Next time it happens, I'll check out the relays. Think I'll carry a spare anyway!

Gunter - I really don't know what I'm looking at in the picture (other than a very clean machine). What's the mod?

Cheers guys,
Newts

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009 15:29 

The mod is that you can directly push the plunger to engage and power up the starter without the need of a working solenoid. That's a nice my-starter-relay-is-fubared workaround.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009 16:15 

N9WTY wrote:
Think I'll carry a spare anyway!

I do that now. Had the same problem as you on my 6000mile XB when I got it. For £6 I bought 2 and stuck one under the seat.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009 17:18 
The Nagged Hubby

I spotted that Gunter, bye bye mr relay :D

I have a new relay here for anyone who wants it, no use to me anymore.

Nate.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 14:15 

hi nate ,i will have the relay off you, just let me know how mutch,
and if you are going to ems do on the 18th to save on the postage.
cheers
mark